Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Couple basic lures for starting out?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Couple basic lures for starting out?

Anybody have a few basic lures that generally will
    work 9 out of 10 times you toss 'em? Hardbaits or softbaits?

Also will provide post [a] link[s] to the products where I can buy 'em
    15' V-hull and a 9.9hp 4-stroke Honda.
    Couple of fishing rods and a tackle box.
    Bag full of camera gear to use while cruisin'

Post Thanks / Like

I wished I had that lure. Some basic for me would be a white or white/char. spinner bait with silver willow leaf double. Purple and pumpkinseed worm with a 2/0 hook and 3/16 bullet weight. And finally a 200 series Bandit crankbait which also works great on crappie. Firetiger on the crankbait. As far as where to get them look at the local Mart (K or Wal) or Bass Pro Shop has a web page you can look on. Some of the kits they sell at BPS are good in my humble opion.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to go to spinnerbait more frequently than anything else in my tackle bag. Especially the 'Secret Weapon' spinnerbaits. They have interchangable blades so you can make up several different baits without special tools.
    http://secretweaponlures.com/swhome.htm

My second choice is 'Rat-L-Trap.

My home lake is normally a heavy stained water lake and there for rely on sound rather than color. Choice depends a lot on weather and water conditions ..IMO.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger375
    I seem to go to spinnerbait more frequently than anything else in my tackle bag. Especially the 'Secret Weapon' spinnerbaits. They have interchangable blades so you can make up several different baits without special tools.
    http://secretweaponlures.com/swhome.htm

My second choice is 'Rat-L-Trap.

My home lake is normally a heavy stained water lake and there for rely on sound rather than color. Choice depends a lot on weather and water conditions ..IMO.
    Hey Ranger those spinners look great. How much do they cost and how many baldes did you get with them? Oh one more thing where did you get them?
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

You can order directly from Secret Weapons from heir website or can find a dealer by looking at their website also.

I got one of the lure kits to start with and will build from there.

When you order regardless of where you order appreciate it you'd mention that I told you about them

Barry Featheringill
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Jonathan...let's get a little more specific. where are you? what lake do you normally fish? what's the normal water color/clarity? Fishing from shore or boat? Most people here can help you catch fish, but you have to help them so they can help you. give as much info as you can please. smedley
    Scott

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Jonathan ...

Considering where you are, I'd expect plastics to be your #1 bait. Secondly I'd say having a few good spinnerbaits would be a good idea. And third, some shallow running crankbaits to round out your tackle.
    In the "plastics" dept. - I'd suggest worms to be the mainstay of the lot. But, also have some craws or "creature baits" to back them up with. 7 to 9 inch worms - 4 inch craws - 4-6 inch creatures would be the norm for Fla strain Bass. Those and some 1/2oz spinnerbaits ... and some topwater & shallow running cranks will get you on the road to catching.

There is no "ultimate" bait, or method that works 9 out of 10 times ... if there were, it'd be the only things used, and all others would be forgotten about. But, for starting out, a plastic worm will produce ... and in the process of learning how to use it - you will become a more proficient caster, a more patient angler, and it will heighten your senses and make you more aware of what the bait you're throwing, is doing.

I'll assume that, considering your boat, that you fish the "local" small lakes around DeLand ... and not the bigger ones, like Lake George. I'll also assume that there's weeds growing in those lakes, and that they aren't extremely deep (in water depth). That's the assumptions I was going on, when I made my suggestions. Local tackle stores will always have the items on hand, that you will need for the waters close by ... and they should also be able to tell you what is working at any given time, on any of those bodies of water. (otherwise, they won't be in business, very long)

Here's a good site to look thru, for some info ... but, consider that this is just one man's opinion on the subject:
    http://www.bassresource.com/fish/bass_fish.html

............ luck2ya .......cp