Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: long rod-short rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default long rod-short rod?

i am about to purchase another rod for crappie and panfish. currently, i have everything from a 5 ft ul to an 8.6 light action. most of my fishing is either done from shore or wading. i would like one more long rod, but is there any more benefit to be gained with one? if not, i will get another 6.6 for float and minnow or jig fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally use a 12-footer for float fishing from shore. With it, I can easily fish a fixed float to 9' or 10' deep. Long rods are great for hook-setting and steering fish away from snags. Fish also feel bigger on longer rods. (They have more leverage.)

The only time I use a shorter rod is out of my float tube.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use a 9 or 9.5 ft. ultra light rod for my float fishing and it really is a benefit when the waves drifts your float and you get a good amount of slack....you can set the hook and take up ALOT of slack that you wouldn't be able to with a shorter rod....and it really feels great fighting a fish with a longer rod....it is alittle tiresome sometimes because of the extra weight of the rod though.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rapman, I too mainly fish from shore. Imho I find the 6'6" rods to be great for me. I really like the BPS micro lite rods in light action, well balanced, good casting, and provide enough backbone when a larger fish is hooked (i.e. bass, walleye). I also use a 12' jig rod when fish are near shore and in the weeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Long & Short Of It...

I have a great crappie rod for casting light jigs. It's a 7 footer by B n' M. The model I got (3 years ago) is the "Sam's SuperSensitive". I put a Shimano Symetre 750 FI on it, loaded with 2# test mono. This set-up is getting to be my No. 1 for most crappie fishing these days.

And, as the ole' Ranger once said, "She'll do to ride the river".
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

for bank fishing i like to use a 11ft for the same reason that DB4D said...i can fish a fixed float 11-12 feet...i also think how the long rods load up and whip you get a lil more out of your cast
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff