Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question really need help

gfiles77 Guest

Default Stupid Question really need help

I just bought a telescopic crappie pole the type with only one eye on the end and 2 metal pieces on the butt end

how do I string this with line it is 13' long and has a rubber plug on the butt end and another one that goes in the other end when folded up

Post Thanks / Like

Default stringing up line

some of those poles come with a long piece of wire and are hollow,you pull the rubber stoper out of the end and run wire through pole without scoping it out and tie line to wire and pull it through if it has a built in reel on it. and some you have to tie the line to the tip like you would do a cane pole.

mikeg

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gfiles77
    I just bought a telescopic crappie pole the type with only one eye on the end and 2 metal pieces on the butt end

how do I string this with line it is 13' long and has a rubber plug on the butt end and another one that goes in the other end when folded up
    Run the line thru the eye then tie it to the pole just below the eye. The 2 metal pieces are for wrapping the line around when you collapse the pole. Hope that helps.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poles

Quote Originally Posted by gfiles77

First, it's good to have you aboard! Hope you can find some good stuff on here.
    What we used to do with them poles was to run your line through the eye toward the pole and then wrap it around the pole several times and then take the end and tie it around the pole back almost to where it sections. Make sure to wrap it all the way down to where you're going to tie it. After tieing it on with a couple of half hitches, take some electric tape and put it around the knot. When you put the plug into the end after sliding it together, just make sure the line goes through little groove in the plug (or throw the plug away, cause you're gonna lose it anyway). When it's compacted, just take the line and wrap it around the 2 clips at the bottom if it has them or around the pole if it don't. Hope this answers your question. Best of luck.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

gfiles77 Guest

Default Thanks

Dont know why i couldne figure it out thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like

I fix mine where they stay out . Tape paper clips on for eyes. And wrap line around the back clips. Then through the eyes. Mine are 16 ft and 17 ft and 20ft.
    PEte

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Run the line thru the eye then tie it to the pole just below the eye. The 2 metal pieces are for wrapping the line around when you collapse the pole. Hope that helps.
    Actually, I would run a line (three times the length of the pole) thru the end tip eye - leave as much line out as you can manage - run the rest of the line thru the tip eye and wrap it around the length of the pole - taping it in a couple of places along the length of the pole (and wrap the excess around the metal retainers). Just wrapping it around the tip end is asking for trouble ... if your tip breaks off, you lose everything fish/line/bait/tip eye !! But, if it's wrapped the length of the pole ... even if the tip breaks off, you'll still be able to get the fish/line/bait/tip back
    When you collapse the pole, most of the wrapped line will just slip into the sections, and you can wrap the rest of the free line around the collapsed pole or the retainers. Plus, since you have extra line, when/if you break off a section of line ... you just unwrap some line off the retainers and pull it thru the tape and out the tip eye -- VOILA !! -- you're back in business, with the same length of line as you started with :D .... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

I go a little bit of a different route. I like to put BnM rod guides on telescopic poles with the BnM reel at the handle. That way I have all the line I need if it breaks on a hang or a big gar or jackfish. The reels also have a tension setting (drag) and both the eyes and the reels are very affordable. They should be available anywhere BnM poles are sold.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Actually, I would run a line (three times the length of the pole) thru the end tip eye - leave as much line out as you can manage - run the rest of the line thru the tip eye and wrap it around the length of the pole - taping it in a couple of places along the length of the pole (and wrap the excess around the metal retainers). Just wrapping it around the tip end is asking for trouble ... if your tip breaks off, you lose everything fish/line/bait/tip eye !! But, if it's wrapped the length of the pole ... even if the tip breaks off, you'll still be able to get the fish/line/bait/tip back
    When you collapse the pole, most of the wrapped line will just slip into the sections, and you can wrap the rest of the free line around the collapsed pole or the retainers. Plus, since you have extra line, when/if you break off a section of line ... you just unwrap some line off the retainers and pull it thru the tape and out the tip eye -- VOILA !! -- you're back in business, with the same length of line as you started with :D .... luck2ya ...cp
    Now that is a good idea. Usually when I break a tip off, its when I'm hung up and can get it back. Of course that pole is out of commision for the day. So I grab a spare. Who wants to take take out while fishing to put a tip back on? I've got to remember that rig if I start using those poles again.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I find these style of poles cumbersome and they just bother me. I prefer crappie RODS that have a small plastic 4 dollar reel (never a mini baitcaster or a mini spinning real for my purposes) to hold all the line I will need for the season. The first MEAT AXE I use is the Ugly Stick Crappie ROD in 9' for close in stuff while vertical fishing, and the second MEAT AXE is a 12' BnM Crappie Rod (which I modified by "breaking the tip about 8" down and putting a new tip on to make the pole stiffer) for open water, deeper fish or targets farther away than the 9' can reach. I have 2 of each of these rods and carry all four at all times in the rig. If a friend comes, he/she always has a pole to use.

I used to own and use the telescope style...fish with what ya brung... But I can still remember the day I got to throw them away or what was left of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast