Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Looking

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Looking

Hey Everyone,
    I've been looking for a new boat for several years now and was looking for some good advice. I'm looking at the Bass Pro's Nitro series boats and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or knowledge about the differences between the Z7 and the Z8 series. I know there is a price difference, so what I'm looking for is handling issues like, loading a boat on a single axis compared to a double axis trailer, the ride in the water, easier to hold in the water, ect. Any information would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

May find better luck getting your question answered at Bass Boat Magazine Forum. Lot more Bass Guys there who probably run those rigs who can offer you input. You could always just call KVD. Lol! Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

go to bbcboards.zeroforum.com That forum is mainly for bass fishing and bass boats and there is a section that discusses just nitro boats. Probably get any info you need there.

Post Thanks / Like

Use to have a 20' Skeeter with a 200 HP Yam and loved it, but didn't need that any more since I can't stand on that front deck casting all day like I use to.

So sold it and got a pontoon, but love long line trolling in teh spring and a toon is not for me. So moved on to a G3 that kind of looks like a bass boat, but not as stable and wife didn't like it. So this went on for several years and decided on a Crappie Edition Lund and while not as fast as my Skeeter (ran about 75MPH) I love my Lund and even though it only runs about 44-46 MPH it is stable and take the rough water great. Handles really well too.

Can't tell you anything about Bass Pro boats, but everyone I ever saw cut too many corners for me. I looked at their smaller 17' aluminum boats and their toons, but wouldn't buy either.

I can tell you Lund knows how to make a boat. Mine is the 17' Explorer Crappie Edition and has a 90" beam. Now a lot different than my Skeeter was and any bass boat is a lot different, but they don't take rough water any better, IMHO. If a bass boat is the style you want then look for the better brands and you can most likely find a really great deal at some point. My Skeeter after about 8 years looked as good as it did when I bought it new, but I did keep it inside or covered all the time. Did all my maintenance too.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Skip, How is your Lund, compared to the Skeeter in holding position in wind, with trolling motor? Which boat style would you choose if you wanted to both Crappie and Bass fish in it?

Thanks for your time
    Hat
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Find a good used Fiberglass boat in the 18-20 foot range. You won't regret it. Stratos, Ranger, etc. Just a good cleaned used big boy model and when you would have left the boat ramp and headed home with your alum boat on a questionable day, that weight of old big boy will come in handy. I tried a lot of different boats and a big fiberglass (I went with a Stratos) is the way to go IMO. A 150 should suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

Skeeter. and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dog,
    You will not notice any difference as to loading on a tandem/single axle trailer. Tandems are for the additional weight of the boat and they do pull alot better (ruff road, highway curves) than a single axle. A longer boat (20/21') will take the ruff water better but has a tendency to submarine 6 footers. An 18' to a 20' is a world of difference. The dead rise is the area (sharpness of angle below the bow hook) is the cutting area for waves. A Triton will beat you up compared to a champ, bass cat, skeeter, legend in ruff water. It all depends to what kind of water you will be fishing. Take a look at different boat sites and take a look at the dead rise between all of them and you will see what I am talking about. Skeeter, bass cats have a more stable fishing platform (cant feel anyone walking around when you are on the front deck,waves ect.) The wind can catch a champ but they are about the best in really ruff water. Legends have more items listed as standards and other companies have them as optional items, but they are not as stable as the few listed above. Just have to try to pick the best one for your water applications and fishing styles and check book.

Post Thanks / Like

Stratos...love it. Oh by the way, I would never buy a new boat (again). I've owned 2 new boats and they're not worth the money. I recommend buying a nice/clean used boat. Just my 2cents...Tight Lines!
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Smokey. I have had 3 new boats in my life and I paid way to much for each of them There are plenty of reasonable priced boats out there. You just have to be patient and look around. Most boats are not used all that much. I bought an interim 20 foot Shadow with a 200 Evinrude many years ago and I still have it today. I was looking for someting else and found out I probably would never find exactly what I wanted. I still have it and it runs great and is very stable. My Ranger and my Bullet both cost more than each of my first 3 houses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast