PDA

View Full Version : Spider Rigging Reels

ausable riverboat
02-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Whats better for spider rigging? Spinning reels or Bait casting reels and why.

Quicksilver1958
02-08-2010, 09:51 AM
It's a matter of personal preference. Either one will get the job done.

I run spinning reels simply because I like to reel left handed and left handed baitcasters are more expensive.

There is no need to buy the most expensive reel for spider rigging. I use Pinnacle tiny bolt ultra lites. They are $19.99 at Academy. Shimano makes some reels in the $10-$15 range that work just as well.

Hope this helps

rnvinc
02-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I use the Diawa underspin reels.....

They are basically used to hold line anyway...not casting at all...

And the closed face reel protects my line against UV breakdown...the part that's inside the reel anyway...

STUMP HUNTER
02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I use underspin reels too. My reels are made by Shakespeare and cost around 12 bucks at Academy.

callshy
02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I started using baitcasters for my long poles when I fish shallow water. They are easier for me to get the line out (shallow water, long pole, short line) to get the fish in the boat. They also store easier to me than spinning reels. But, I like spinning reels better therfore I use them on my rods that I fish deeper with. I do not like the underspin or triggerspin as I seem to hit the "trigger" releasing the line as I try to set the hook.

rnvinc
02-08-2010, 10:13 AM
I started using baitcasters for my long poles when I fish shallow water. They are easier for me to get the line out (shallow water, long pole, short line) to get the fish in the boat. They also store easier to me than spinning reels. But, I like spinning reels better therfore I use them on my rods that I fish deeper with. I do not like the underspin or triggerspin as I seem to hit the "trigger" releasing the line as I try to set the hook.

This is a good point callshy made about accidently hitting the trigger when setting the hook....

I cut the triggers down shorter so that I don't hit the trigger accidently....

Fishtaco
02-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Remind me not to go dock shooting with you fellers.

STUMP HUNTER
02-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Remind me not to go dock shooting with you fellers.

What has dock shooting got to do with spider rigging:confused:???

Gansett
02-08-2010, 02:20 PM
What they are saying is when they set the hook they sometimes accidently hit the trigger and that is why they do not like those reels. So, if the same thing happens while dock shooting, there's no telling where their jig will end up.

STUMP HUNTER
02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
What they are saying is when they set the hook they sometimes accidently hit the trigger and that is why they do not like those reels. So, if the same thing happens while dock shooting, there's no telling where your jig/minnows will end up.

I do understand about hitting the trigger on an underspin but I don't know anyone that uses underspins for shooting docks. If the man had wanted to know what kind of reels to use for dock shooting I'm sure this thread would have been named (Dock Shooting Reels) To me it was a commit that has nothing to do with this thread.

Fishtaco
02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Replace "dock" with "duck" and see if it makes more sense.

I have 4 different reels I use and don't like any of them much. The under spin is ok, and I never did consider the added protection it would give to the line. Makes good sense to me.

biggerjigger
02-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I prefer baitcasters because the line is closer th the rod and makes for easier boat storage and less tangle. Other than that, I dont really care.

halfmoonboy181
02-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I do understand about hitting the trigger on an underspin but I don't know anyone that uses underspins for shooting docks. If the man had wanted to know what kind of reels to use for dock shooting I'm sure this thread would have been named (Dock Shooting Reels) To me it was a commit that has nothing to do with this thread.

Hey, stumphunter, he was making a JOKE! Jesh.

STUMP HUNTER
02-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Guys, we all have bad day and this was my day!:eek: Shouldn't took it like I did, sorry.

coyote
02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I prefer baitcasters because the line is closer th the rod and makes for easier boat storage and less tangle. Other than that, I dont really care.

x2 even with small spinning reels I didn't like the bulk. Still use a small spinning reel on my dipping rod. Love the thump in the timber!

sac-a-lait
02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
also you can get better counts to get back to the depth you were at buy "pulls" out of a baitcaster easier than a spinning real. I like spinning off the back and baitcasters off the front. Like Callshy said to with thumb release baitcasters you can let line out easily if needed, you don't hit the release like on some reels with it placed in the thumb position and the bail will never fly open on the hookset letting a spiders nest of line like it can w/ a spinning reel also.

fultondalecrappie
02-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I like baitcasters better for quicker adjustments on depth and when I hook a big striper.

gabowman
02-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I'll throw you a new twist!;) I use $6 Walmart specials (spincast reels).:D Aint tore one up yet but if I do they'll replace it.;):D:D

Fishtaco
02-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Guys, we all have bad day and this was my day!:eek: Shouldn't took it like I did, sorry.

It's water off a dock's back to me. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

I'm seriously considering Okuma's for my next purchase. Let them pull double duty pulling cranks and spider rigging.

Herewego
02-09-2010, 10:12 AM
I use both, I like spinning reels for letting line out fast in deep water.

bchappell
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I like spinning reels better but I use my rods for more than spider rigging. I like to long line troll also.

Herewego
02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I like spinning reels better but I use my rods for more than spider rigging. I like to long line troll also.

Good point. Spinning reels seem to cast farther out for long lining.

blairarnold
02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I like spinning reels, too. Also I agree with Scott about the underspins. I seem to accidently hit the trigger on them a lot.

biggerjigger
02-10-2010, 12:05 PM
It's water off a dock's back to me. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

I'm seriously considering Okuma's for my next purchase. Let them pull double duty pulling cranks and spider rigging.

Im currently doubling my Okumas on some of my rods and I can tell you the extra weight is noticeable.

Countrytime
02-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I like the Wally Marshall baitcasting reels. Not the round ones, the regular type. No bails to break and super easy to strip and reload with a Berkley spooler and battery stripper. No line loops or twist you get with spinning reels. One turn of the handle is exactly 2 foot of line retrieved, thus precision depth control. Half a turn exactly 1 foot of recovery. They are real durable reels, also 6:3 to 1 gear ratio so line is recovered quickly. The spool is smaller than normal baitcasters so it doesn't take half as much line to load one up. I've used an older Shimano Citica and it seemed to take almost double the line. We load them with Trilene XL 12lb Clear. Big Slabs,Cats,GreenCarp, Hybrids it will handle them all. Monks Crappie sells them as well as Bass Pro. I know I sound like a infomercial. You might say I'm sold on them lock stock and barrel. You think! HA HA

biggerjigger
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Sounds like you got a good sponsorship outa Berkley as well as Wally!!!

Bottombumper
02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I prefer med. wt Open-Face reels for Spider-Rigging. I use 10 lb. Big Game Trilene on all reels with 4- 12 ft. rods. I adjust my Drag by stripping off line with hand while checking the depth finder for desired depth. I can easily strip off more line to go deeper or crank handle to come up shallower. Once I have all rods set and in rodholders I proceed Bottombumping mostly upstream or against the wind. Im constantly changing the depth up and down according to what I am seeing on Fish-Finder. Fish-Structure-Depth all determine my adjustments on on reels. Adjustments with a Baitcaster-Spin-cast reels seem to be more awkward to make these adjustments on the go. Ive tried all types and the open face wins out with me provided I use 8-10 lb. line. I try to keep my drop-shot 3/4 oz. bell wt. bouncing off or near bottom all the time. My reason for 10 lb. line. Good Fishing All. Bottombumper

jwz4
02-23-2010, 12:20 PM
What do yall think about these reels for spider rigging? I'm working on a small budget so looking for a cheap solution that will work.
Daiwa Sweepfire-B Spinning Reel :: Fisherman's Warehouse Online (http://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3267)

or may be this one?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/HT-Enterprises-Intrigue-DX-Ultra-light-Spinning-Reel.aspx?a=467443&kwtid=288923

or do yall recommend a baitcasting reel like this one?
http://www.catfishsupply.net/ProductInfo.aspx?id=154853

abarkley
02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
What do yall think about these reels for spider rigging? I'm working on a small budget so looking for a cheap solution that will work.
Daiwa Sweepfire-B Spinning Reel :: Fisherman's Warehouse Online (http://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3267)

or may be this one?
Ht Enterprises Intrigue Dx Ultra - Light Spinning Reel, Fresh Water, Ht Ent. at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/HT-Enterprises-Intrigue-DX-Ultra-light-Spinning-Reel.aspx?a=467443&kwtid=288923)

Catfish Supply Co - Product Info (http://www.catfishsupply.net/ProductInfo.aspx?id=154853)

don't know about the first two, but stay away from option # 3. it's a piece of junk.

Micropterus salmoides
02-23-2010, 09:04 PM

or may be this one?
Ht Enterprises Intrigue Dx Ultra - Light Spinning Reel, Fresh Water, Ht Ent. at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/HT-Enterprises-Intrigue-DX-Ultra-light-Spinning-Reel.aspx?a=467443&kwtid=288923)

Catfish Supply Co - Product Info (http://www.catfishsupply.net/ProductInfo.aspx?id=154853)

I've got an older model of that sweepfire on an UL St 6' St Croix that I use for casting roadrunners and on a BnM 11 fter I used for deep water vertical jigging timber. Otherwise I'm using a fly reel.
I've had it for .......I'd say about 2 yrs and have no complaints. Smooth retrieve and haven't had any bail problems, which is usually where I have most of my problems with spinning reels. I treat all my gear rough, half 'em bounce around in the back of my truck most of the days I'm on the road....no matter how much they cost. I buy gear with the expectation that they can take a beating. Casting roadrunner will catch just about any species of freshwater fish... Needless to say, stripping off a lil line here and there and reeling up some slabs.......you shouldn't have any problems.
I don't "spider rig" or troll or any of that, but it's been a reliable reel that I'd put my stamp on.

Adam

slimeyslab
02-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Check out this site Fisherman's Factory Outlet: Product Directory [Reels] (http://www.ffo-tackle.com/ProductDirectory.cfm?Show=Reels) I have gotten some great deals on some of their factory reconditioned reels. I have never had a momoents trouble out of anything I have bought from them.

SteveJ
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I like a baitcaster best on my spider-rigging rod due to some of the reasons already mentioned about them. Keep the drag pretty loose and just pull of the line and every now and then I get a flathead on and am glad to have them. On my handheld poles I like spinning reels as they seem to balance better with the long rods. I have had trouble with the little B&M type casting type reels so now have about 6-8 that stay in my shop. Just what works best for me.

OsoFishy
02-24-2010, 08:23 AM
For what it worth Ive used em all and if you can find the cheapest full size baitcast bass real with a flipn switch there is no better in my opinion. When the switch is engaged you can go across your poles and drop them down any depth by holding the release down and when you let off it locks without having to turn the handle. Making a 8 pole depth adjustment only takes me a second and when I want to bring em up a foot or two one with the 5:1 or 6:1 gear ratio one turn of the handle and your done. And you can put whatever line on them or be as hard on them as you want to be and you dont have to worry they will hold up. I paid 19.95 each for my last set and thats been bout 10 years ago.

jwz4
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Check out this site Fisherman's Factory Outlet: Product Directory [Reels] (http://www.ffo-tackle.com/ProductDirectory.cfm?Show=Reels) I have gotten some great deals on some of their factory reconditioned reels. I have never had a momoents trouble out of anything I have bought from them.

thanks for the link. I ended up ordering 4 from there :D