Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to throw a cast net video

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to throw a cast net video

don't know how many of you use live shad or catch your own minnows. I found this on another forum. I have never been able to throw a net and now I see why...this sure beats standing there in the boat soaking wet and out of breath with no bait.

http://www.calusa.com/watchvideo.cfm?name=notrequired click on # 3
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Or there's "my way" ...

I "throw" it "backwards" to the video method ... but, I'm also throwing a much smaller net
    And I don't care who you are, or how you throw it ... the only time things are going to be/stay "dry" is on the FIRST cast of the net ...LOL!!

Here's a copied reply I made to a previous thread about using a cast net - cp's method for cast netting ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off ... here's how the net is laid out": Starting from the "rope", there should be a "loop" in the end - this is to put your non-throwing hand through. Then there should be 20 or so feet of "rope" that runs between the loop and a metal swivel. The swivel is then connected to multiple strands of heavy monofilament line. There should be a "seperator" (disc with holes to seperate the lines) next .... and the mono should run thru the seperator, then thru a "collar" attached to the top of the mesh of the net. The mono runs thru the collar and attaches to the bottom of the "skirt" , inside of the netting. The netting runs from where it attaches to the "collar" and is atttached to the "bottom" ... which is a rope with lead weights attached.

To begin - insert your non-throwing hand into the "loop" at the end of the line. Then loop the remaining line into loose coils around your non-throwing hand, until you reach the "swivel". Grab the "collar" in your throwing hand and lift the net up until it is fully extended & off the ground/deck. Hold it there, and with your non-throwing hand -release enough line so that you can reach down and grab the bottom of the "skirt" of the net (where the lead weights are) .. then lift the skirt up to the throwing hand, and hold it against the "collar" with the thumb of your throwing hand. With your non-throwing hand - Follow the edge of the lifted skirt, back down to the bottom again, and grab ahold of the skirt.
    At this point, you should have:
    in your non-throwing hand - end loop around your wrist, coils of rope in your hand, and holding the bottom of the netting skirt (where the lifted & not lifted sections of the skirt meet).
    in your throwing hand, you should have - the collar in your hand, and the lifted section of netting skirt pinned against it with your thumb.
    You are ready to "cast" the net. But, be sure and check the bottom of the net, to make sure the lead weighted rope/bottom of the net skirt is free hanging; and not tangled anywhere.

To cast the net: holding both arms in front of you, and each hand holding the appropriate portions of the net/rope - stand with feet apart (a little wider than shoulder width) - Here's the only "tricky part" ... you need to do these following things as one continuous motion (but I'll explain them in seperate motions) --- twisting at the waist, bring your throwing hand behind you, keeping your hand at near shoulder level - leave your non-throwing hand in front of you, at high chest level. Your non-throwing arm's shoulder should be pointing towards your target (or, in the case of a "moving" target - in front of the school). --- as you twist at the waist, and draw your throwing arm behind you ... the net's weights will swing around - once they reach the apex of their swing, start your forward motion with the throwing arm. This motion is somewhat like throwing a cover over a bed, as you want the net to open up on its way to the target. Release the collar and lifted skirt section as your throwing hand reaches out in front of you ... and release the skirt section you have in your non-throwing hand a half second after. Don't throw/cast the net "down towards" the water/target -- throw it up OVER the target, so that it is as fully extended in a circular pattern, as possible. Allow the rope coils to come off your non-throwing hand, as the netting flies away from you.
    Once the net has reached the target area, splashes down and "blooms" out and starts sinking - move towards the splashdown area, until you are over-top of the net. Pull the rope up quickly - this will collapse the net and trap your targeted prey within. To release the catch - hold the collapsed net over your "holding container" and grab the collar and pull it back up to the top of the monofilament strands (where the seperator/swivel are). Shake the net and the bait should fall into your container. Any bait, that is caught in the mesh webbing, can be gently extracted ... but, may be injured or missing a lot of scales. They will generally be the first to die ... so, if I elect to keep them, anyway -- they're the first ones I use. Otherwise, I just throw them back into the water (either at the spot where I caught them, or as chum in the area where I intend to fish).

To practice in the yard - it helps to be standing on something that is 1-2ft above the ground (to simulate being on a raised casting deck).
    Some tips -
    don't have any rods on the deck with you, while casting a net.
    don't cast around standing timber.
    don't allow the net to reach the bottom, if possible.
    throw at targets that are 1/2 the distance from you, as the length of your net's rope.
    throw in front of moving schools, by at least 1 foot.

ALWAYS put the rope loop around your wrist, BEFORE throwing the net !! (you'd think that would be a no-brainer ... but I know of two rookie cast netters that didn't - and they had to buy another net )

Practice these moves in your yard, or even from a parked boat, before trying them on the water. It will be much less frustrating, if you can get fairly decent with your casting technique, before you attempt it on the real thing.

I run a foot controlled trolling motor, and cast the net, solo. I generally throw at stationary schools from a distance - usually from as far away as I know I can successfully throw the net. On moving schools - I approach from the side, going in the same direction as the school, and make my attack run towards the school at a 45deg intercept angle. I take my foot off the trolling motor foot control, and take my stance before throwing the net.
    Shad will scatter, when attacked from underneath ... but will usually just dive deep, straight down, when attacked from above. Throwing/aiming the net a foot in front of a moving school, allows for the time it takes the net to get over the target area - and for the Shad to react to the overhead threat, and dive. I'm a right handed thrower ... and I've noticed that I tend to throw the net a little to the right and short of where I'm aiming. I take that into account, when I'm casting at a moving school
    Also - take into consideration that I am using a 4ft radius net. A larger/longer net may require some added steps.
    I'm self taught, on this technique ... never saw the video, never read a "how to" article, and never used a "throwing aid" (net holder/thrower device). I'm no expert in this technique - but, this is how I've learned to do it, and it has worked successfully for me.

If you have any questions or want any part of the technique I described, in more detail, or explained further - just ask ........ luck2ya'll .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

I was doing it backwards too and the net would never open up all the way. after about 5 throws I'd get p'd and give up. Now I have something new to practice.
    Scott

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smedley, Great Post thanks!

After watching the video, I think I could do it with some practice. I might have to go get me a cast net now. :rolleyes:
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of salt water fishing.
    I used to dread catching bait, sometimes the net would do right, then couldn't get it to do right for the life of me.
    Bought that video, now, I look forward to throwing the net. I have two, a 6 ft and 8 ft, throw both with perfection every time !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody lost their upper dentures trying this technique? Good part is if they do go flying out you can hurry up and use the net to retrieve them!!!!
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. I have a backwards tech myself but never could throw anything bigger than a 6 footer. I gonna dig out my big net and give it a try. seeya, Don