Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac's River Runner vs Rock Hopper Motor Guard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mac's River Runner vs Rock Hopper Motor Guard

Mac's River Runner vs Rock Hopper Motor Guard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

River Runner by Mac's Propsavers, Inc.

rockhoppermotorguards

Anybody used either of these products? Looks like the rock hopper is a much stronger product but I suspect that it might cut down on performance a bit more.
    Willie

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like either one would work just fine. However, know that your top end speed will be reduced with either as well.

Edit: And if you "slip" a river, they're worthless.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Looks like either one would work just fine. However, know that your top end speed will be reduced with either as well.

Edit: And if you "slip" a river, they're worthless.

what do you mean by "slip" a river?

old

Post Thanks / Like

i have the macs river runner on my 25hp and it has saved me many props...i really like and that thing is very well built
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieKillerJigs View Post
    i have the macs river runner on my 25hp and it has saved me many props...i really like and that thing is very well built
    i've been tempted to buy something so i can fish the river here some but so far haven't. the other one looked like it would protect better than the mac's but maybe not. crappie, are you running a rocky river or just jumping logs and stuff with it? the river here is rocky. i'm not concerned about stumps and logs. i've jumped them all my life without anything with no problem but the rocks are a different set of cats.

old

Post Thanks / Like

mostly rocks with a few logs here and there....it has saved me from buying a new prop more then once....it will skip right across the rocks with out letting the prop hit them and how it bolts on it makes the skag stronger also
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for that reply. now i got to find out if they have one to fit my motor. thanks again.

old

Post Thanks / Like

crappie, when did you buy yours? i don't see them listed in the new cabela's catalog but in last years bass pro catalog they are listed but do not look exactly like the one in the link you posted here. if it's new it covers the front of the skeg where as the one in bass pro doesn't. just wondering if they changed the style ?

old

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a 25hp with the river runner on it. And I fish a stumpy lake and it didn't take long before I removed it. I hit a stump at less than 5mph and it bent it up into my prop.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olduckhunter View Post
    what do you mean by "slip" a river?

old
    Slipping a river is a form a boat control in which you point your bow upstream and adjust the throttle of your boat forward - just to the point where your boat starts to "slip" backwards with the current, but not as fast as the current.

This technique allows you to present your offerings down close to the bottom while maintaining position along structure in rivers. Do a search on Dan Gapen. He's been instructing in this technique of boat control for many decades. All revealed in his book entitled, "Big River Fishing".
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast