PDA

View Full Version : l'VE GOT SHINGLES

rocket rich
02-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Any Body Got Any Good Ways To Treat Shingles/ Boy They Hurt

skeetbum
02-07-2010, 07:30 AM
I had them a few years ago. Went thru a regimen of anti biotics and was back to myself in a week or so. Probably a bit more. Flared up just over the left eye and swelled it shut. Boss said I looked like I'd been sparring with Mike Tyson. Hope you're past them soon.

GCD
02-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Go to the Doc and get some medicine for them!!!

I've had those things before and they are terrible!

The Doc should prescribe you Valtrex, it's the same stuff the give you for chicken pox and herpes... shingles and chicken pox are both a kind of herpes.
Someone that has never had chicken pox before can actually catch them by coming into contact with your shingles!

After your shingles go away, you should keep some valtrex on hand in case they come back and take it at the first sign of an outbreak... the quicker you start the valtrex the quicker they'll go away!

I've had the shingles 3 or 4 times and always keep the valtrex on hand now!

MePreach
02-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I agree with GCD, just had someone in my church with shingles and they gave him Valtrex and it worked! Go to the Dr. as soon as you can! Hope you get better quick and we will be praying for you!

rocket rich
02-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Got That From The Va Yesterday Man This Is The Pit's I've Had A Lot Of Surgeries But This Pain Is The Mother Of Pain. Thanks For The Replys

RogerA
02-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Got rid of mine and put on a metal roof last year.:D:D:D

Darryl Morris
02-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Oh yes it is painful. GCD is right. Catch it early and it will be easier to get rid of it. I went to the doc several years ago and mentioned having some real sensitive areas of skin. He examined and put me on Valtrex as a possible case of shingles. From what I heard and seen about it I'm very glad he did. Take care of yourself. I wouldn't wish that pain on anybody.

dwaw
02-07-2010, 08:45 AM
good luck to you. might require some big time patience. i just got a shingles vaccination last week and would encourage others to do the same.

Williefb
02-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Thinking of you brother. My uncle has had them for two years. He said that he's one in 100,000 that can't get rid of em. Get to the doc and get them treated asap. I do know that there's a shingles vaccination. I'm not sure if you can take it after you have had them once. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

NIMROD
02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Had them once, heard some folks never get rid of them.:eek:

Bob # 1
02-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Got That From The Va Yesterday Man This Is The Pit's I've Had A Lot Of Surgeries But This Pain Is The Mother Of Pain. Thanks For The Replys

Feel sorry for you and know first hand how bad they can hurt
prayers are with you

blairarnold
02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I know there is nothing funny about having shingles. I've got a good friend that came down with them, and I really think they took something out of him that's never coming back.

However, I was out with a guy who was in his late 70's or early 80's a few years ago looking for a property line. He was telling me about having a bad case of the shingles on his butt and lower back while we were tromping around through the woods. I started sympathizing with him when he suddenly said "Let me show you." He proceeded to peel down his jump suit and drawers and turn his butt to face me. I cannot tell you how hard it is to keep a straight face and say all the sympathetic things while looking at a man's butt or how happy I was that we were out of sight of the highway.

Herewego
02-07-2010, 11:43 AM
My wife has then in right eye and forehead and had them since Tuesday and went to doctor yesterday he gave her Famciclovir and Doxycycline generates I guess. She is in awful pain. Prayers for you also.

blairarnold
02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Y'all have convinced me to check on a shingles vacination.

The Shootist
02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I had them couple years ago beside my eye and across right side of head. Man they hurt and especially if you have to wear a hardhat. Now that really hurts.Prayers with you.

Herewego
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM

I had them 4 years ago on my side. My wife is in such pain now we are going to look at geeting vaccination after she gets rid of these now.

Billbob
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
the va will take good care of you

crappiecrazy
02-07-2010, 03:53 PM

We were talking about prayer request in Sunday School this morning and the subject of shingles came up. One member is a Doctor and he reccomended that anyone over 50 get the vacination. I am going to get one soon!

rocket rich
02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
You Guys And Gals Don't Know How Much It Means To Me To Have The Support Of You People. I Won't Drop My Draws But Will Take Off My Shirt . I Too Am One Of The Older Guys 70.... Thanks Again Rich

crappieseeker
02-07-2010, 04:30 PM
My aunt has had them off and on for a few years, cant get completely rid of them. They have really messed her up. Have caused her to have other problems from the shingles. I got tickled listening to Bobby Bowden explain getting the shingles one time. He said he had been through everything and thought getting the shingles would be a joke, he said just the thought of it made him laugh or something like that and then when he found out what it was like said it was the worst kind of pain lol. Hope you get rid of that and get better

Herewego
02-07-2010, 04:31 PM
My wife's eyebrow to forehead is a rash and blisters just today. Doctor told her if it gets in your eye go to eye doctor immmediately. Hope you get to doctor soon and get medication started. The sooner the better. Prayer sent to you.

rocket rich
02-07-2010, 04:34 PM
You Guys Know You're In My Prayers Also. I Have Lung Cancer ,bypass Heart And Many Other Things But This Is Really The Pits.

1perchjerker
02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
rocket rich,
Glad you got to the VA and got treatment.
If not it could possibly have lead to:
Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) can cause paralysis and lead to death.
Guillain-Barré syndrome (say "ghee-YAN bah-RAY") is a problem with your nervous system. It causes muscle weakness, loss of reflexes, and numbness or tingling in your arms, legs, face, and other parts of your body.
But most people get better and have few lasting problems.
1perchjerker

rocket rich
02-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Va Med's Naproxen 500mg Bid-(2) Times-- Valacyclovir 1 Gm 3x A Day -- Prednisone 20mg 3tablet In The Morning -- Vicondin 5/500 Prn No More Than 4,000 A Day (8 Pills)

fair weather
02-07-2010, 10:28 PM
you are not contagious to any adult who has previously had smallpox, and most have been exposed at sometime in their life. However stay away from children and pregnant women. You can give smallpox to children, and maybe the fetus in utero.

CrappiePappy
02-08-2010, 12:41 AM
you are not contagious to any adult who has previously had smallpox, and most have been exposed at sometime in their life. However stay away from children and pregnant women. You can give smallpox to children, and maybe the fetus in utero.

... rather than Smallpox. ;)

Shingles: Viral Infections: Merck Manual Home Edition (http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec17/ch198/ch198f.html)

.. cp :cool:

slimeyslab
02-08-2010, 12:50 AM
One of my buddies just finished going through the same as you are. Other than still being bothered by bright lights he is doing good. Hang in there! It will get better!!

Crestliner08
02-08-2010, 06:38 AM
You have to get to the doctor immediately! You only have 5 - 7 days in which to treat it. They have meds that will cure it, but you have to act quickly. This is a very dangerous disease. It usually happens on one side of your body only.

rocket rich
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I didn't mean to mislead you guys I don't have lung cancer now . I did have a lung removed in 1989 and was given one year to live. they were wrong. HOW SWEET IT IS

Cane Pole
02-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hear this and hope you GWS. A friend of ours has it. She is having a hard time.

My understanding is that women are far more susceptible to shingles than men.

I dunnno.

Herewego
02-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Rich hope and pray you get better soon.
My wife has had it a 7 days now and did not get medications until Saturday, her eyelid has swelled today and more rash on forehead, how long until medicines slow shingles down??????????
She has appointment with eye doctor tomorrow, this stuff could be dangerous in eyes.

NIMROD
02-08-2010, 04:09 PM
They say not to worry catching shingles but 2 of my mom's brothers, my dad , and I had them all in about a year?:confused:

rocket rich
02-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I Sure Hope And Pray All Of Us Get Better Asap It's Pretty Tough For Sure. At Least It's Snowing Out And Can't Fish Anyway. What A Thought?
God Bless And Keep You All Safe

Herewego
02-08-2010, 06:17 PM
They say not to worry catching shingles but 2 of my mom's brothers, my dad , and I had them all in about a year?:confused:

After talking with friends and family it is very common. I was told the vaccine shot cost $200 and for those on medicare will not pay for it. I am hoping my insurance will cover the cost, we are planning on geting vaccine when she gets over this.

GCD
02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Rich hope and pray you get better soon.
My wife has had it a 7 days now and did not get medications until Saturday, her eyelid has swelled today and more rash on forehead, how long until medicines slow shingles down??????????
She has appointment with eye doctor tomorrow, this stuff could be dangerous in eyes.

You can figure for about every week that you have it and go without medicine it'll take a month to heal after you start taking medicine!

That's why it's so important to start taking the medicine as soon as you see/have an outbreak!

My 70+ yr. old mother in law caught them last Sept. and waited for a month before going to the doctor and she is just now getting over them!

Most of the time they're easy to ignore the first time you get them, you think "oh, it's just a rash of some kind... it'll go away soon" and you wait a week and it doesn't go away and maybe doesn't get worse, so you figure I'll give it another week and some people just let it go way too long and one morning you wake up and are either covered with them or have a huge patch of them somewhere!... and then it takes forever to cure.

... but! After you've had it for the first time and you get it again... you will RUN to the Doctor!!!... but it's always better to keep some Valtrex or the generic on had so you can start taking it as soon as you see it/feel it breaking out. The last 2 times I had an outbreak, as soon as I noticed it I took 2 Valtrex and they were gone in 3-8 hrs.!

Once you've had the shingles, you'll never forget them!

Shingles are usually brought on by stress, and the stress of having them can make them worse. If you have them or someone in your family has them, try to make your/their life less stressful.

crappiechaser2
02-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Hey everybody....I just had the shingles shot last week...I am 70 yrs. old. My Sister got the shingles and was dead in a week....She had no imune system...It is very dangerous if Your imune system is low. If You have had Chicken Pox it is in Your system dormant and can come out at anytime...I pray for all of You that have the Shingles. Get the medicine ASAP....My shot was $220.....But worth it...

rocket rich
02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Va Offer The Shot For $50.00 And I Said No .. What A Dummy I Am. I Will Get It If It Will Help Me In The Future. I Have A Area Of About 20 Inches Full Of Blisters. No Fun All You Guy And Gals Get To The Doctor And Get The Shot

fair weather
02-08-2010, 07:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm braindead! I meant to say chicken pox, not smallpox. sorry