Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning specks

Post Thanks / Like

Default cleaning specks

What is the best way to clean crappie? Some people scale em' and leave the skin. some fillet and take the skin off.Any thoughts?BB

Post Thanks / Like

I keep the biggest crappie so i can fillet them with skin off, much easier and faster.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the DI...I keep mine on ice until I'm ready to fillet them. Makes it a lot easier than cleaning them when they are alive. I have a buddy that scales them and guts them, then fillets the meat off and leaves the skin. I rather have a nice clean fillet with nothing but fish
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Yummmm.....

The ones we keep for dinner, crappie and bluegill, get filleted. Leaving the ribs and skin on the carcass. Only pure meat leaves the carcass and one does not need to get into the gut, where most of the mess and stink is.
    .....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

I scale and then fillet. Similar to this guy: http://www.cleanafish.com/cleanabluegill.html

Post Thanks / Like

I fillet the bigger ones, but always have some dinks that got gill hooked or in the throat and borderline for fillets. Sooo......I like to scale,gut and cut off the head for frying whole. A good tip is to scale them in seconds using a water hose squirting from the tail to the head. You'll be amazed!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Usually ...

I filet most of them ... especially if there's a chance that the meat will be given to family members or friends. But, occasionally (mostly for my own use) I will clean them the "old fashioned" way :p ... scaling them with a teaspoon (less mess and flying scales than when using "de-scaling" scrapers or a dull knife edge). Those I don't fry right up, then and there, are dusted down with corn meal or Southern Star Fish Fry Seasoning ... vacuum packed, and frozen for later (the meal or seasoning helps stop freezer burn). I have scaled them, then fileted them, too. It's all down to personal taste and preference, and depends on what "flavor" you want out of the fish. Filets will take on a lot of the taste characteristics of the "seasonings" you use ... skin-on versions will have a slightly "sweet/nutty" quality, unless overpowered by the seasonings or sauces added/used. .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default now I just got to catch em'

From what I've learned there is no bad way to clean a crappie. I've heard that leaving the skin on will help hold the meat together while grilling. If you leave the skin on wont that give it more of a fishy taste?...............BB

Post Thanks / Like

The skin wont hurt the taste at all.I put them on ice then fillet em!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I sure would be sad if I had to give up my 'lectric fillet knife! Even went and
    got a spare just in case it decides to lay down on me part-way through
    a mess of fish. Still got ole Rapala knives as back-up for the back-up tho
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast