Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LongLine Trolling Rods

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default LongLine Trolling Rods

How many rods do you guys typically troll with and what lengths do you use (how many of each length)?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

bowan, when im by myself i troll with 6 BnM BGJPs. lenths are 14,12,10 on the sides and 8, 5 1/2 ft BnM spinning rods straight out the back with 4 on each side of the motor. With two people in the boat i fish 8 in the front 4 on each side 16,14,12,10 and the same 8 out the back.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

so if you go fishing with di you only get 2 rods, he can handle all the rest. lol

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieday View Post
    so if you go fishing with di you only get 2 rods, he can handle all the rest. lol
    :D:D:D Yea, I saw that too.:D I was thinking more about just fishing the 8 out the back and was wondering should they be different lengths to keep them spread out more.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering about this myself. Most I have seen when asked how much line out say they just make a long cast. Seems like that would be difficult when running staggered length poles out the side, if you land a fish on the mid-length pole how do you cast the jig back out without crossing up the other lines?

Seems to me you would have to use equal length poles out the back. Land a fish on the inside poles and just move the outside poles to the inside, cast out the side and place the rod in the outside holder and let the jig track back behind the boat.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

12 14 16 out the front and all 10 foot silstar out the back
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

The softest rod tips you can find, the better. Most of the time they will grab the grub and if you have a real soft tip, they can go ahead and eat it. If it's a stiffer rod, alot of the time you'll pull it out of the crappies mouth before he can swallow it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default hope this helps

Long Lining for Crappie
    For those of you that are not familiar with this way of fishing it is fun and you can cover a lot of water.
    I start out with 1- 1/16 teezur jig heads on each rod I tie them with a loop knot about 12 to 14 inches apart I place a southern pro hot grub on a road runner head using different colors until I find what the fish want if it is cloudy start with a dark color if it is sunny use a light color. Now I use a 14’, 12’, and 10’ bnm pro staff placed in rod holders out the right side of the front and the same on the left. If I have client’s in the back they have 10’ bnm pro staff placed in rod holders pretty much straight out. I use a gps to watch my speed and I start out at .04mph when I start moving I begin to get the baits in the water. Start with your 10’ first then the 12’ and last the 14’ this will keep from getting the bait tangled together in the back of boat work from the inside out. Throw the baits about 30 to40’ behind the boat. Now that we have our baits in the water I am going to start in the channel in about 14’ of water and watch my speed and sonar. I will work the deeper water first and move into more shallow water until I find the fish. Once I find fish I pay close attention to my speed where I can go back over them again. If I am not catching fish I change my speed a little at a time this will adjust the depth of your bait. Now you cannot turn your boat to quick so you have to plan ahead to turn the boat around because you have to make a wide sweeping turn or real up and then turn if you don’t have room to make the wide turn. I will pull jigs anywhere from 16’ of water to 3’. When you first try this you will get tangled up some and even after you have done it awhile you will still tangle up some but it is a great way to locate some fish and this will work all thru spring until the fish go back deep for the summer. I also like the teezur jig heads because they are doubled barbed and hold the grub good without the use of super glue and southern pro grubs have many colors to choose from. And also Lindy Tackle has some good colors to choose from. I use a hi Vis 6# test line this helps me see if my lines do get crossed up.
    Hope this helps and good fishing.
    Keith Dodd

Post Thanks / Like

12',10' crappie wizzards and 8' prostaff trollind rods off the front and 8' pro staff trolling rods off the back.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What water temp are you looking for before you start long lining?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast