Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB or advice on rod for shooting docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default WTB or advice on rod for shooting docks

Need advice on which rod to buy for shooting docks, let me know and if any of you have one for sale let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

i get mine from academy sports. i like 4'6"-5' rods. i try to find them on close out. but they have a great b-n-m sharp shooter rods made for dock shooting. i think they are about $25 each. i started out with shakespere ugly sticks. they are good rods and you dont break them as easily. just get what feels good to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Shop Microlites Are The Best I Have Ever Used Over The Past Ten Years. I Use The 5' 6" Rods Beacuse I Get More Distance From Them.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

lots of videos on this. once you see it done it's all practice after that. Berkley Cherrywood rods do this wel and are under $20. You'll lose some jigs so don't tie on anything sentimental or like that. It's a ton of fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink tlowery ...

Quote Originally Posted by tlowery643 View Post
    Need advice on which rod to buy for shooting docks, let me know and if any of you have one for sale let me know.
    ... like any other choice of equipment, for a specific method of fishing, you'll get a whole range of opinions on what to use. And, generally, it eventually boils down to personal choice.

If you practice, and get your aim & your release timing down, you can shoot docks with rods ranging from 4-8 feet in length and UL to MH in action
    I've done it with 5ft to 8ft rods, in UL to MH actions ... but, generally prefer to use 5-6ft rods in lite actions.

Stiffer action rods will "shoot" a jig harder/faster, so they require a quicker reaction time on line release. Soft action rods will still "shoot" a jig, and don't require as quick a timing release. They do, however, tend to "catapult" the jig more than "shoot" it ... and you may not get the desired distance, or the "skipping effect". That "skipping", of the jig, is desirable (IMHO) as it does two positive things for you. One - it allows the jig to reach farther under a dock, than you may be able to reach with a airborne shot (especially on docks that are close to the water's surface). Two - it creates a splashing disturbance, as it skips over the water's surface ... much like that of a minnow being chased & jumping out of the water to evade a predator. This gets the Crappie's attention focused upward, and "looking" for a possibly injured baitfish.

I'd recommend either of the two 5' spinning rods, that I use for dock shooting ... except for the fact that you cannot purchase either of them since they are both out of production. :D
    My partner uses Berkley Cherrywoods, and seems to like them, and does fairly well with them. Though, he does tend to not get a solid hookset, occasionally .... and I'm not sure if it's the soft action of the rod, or his weak hooksetting technique, or just his indecisiveness on whether or not to react to a perceived hit. :D
    Whenever I even "suspect" having a hit .... I employ the old Babe Ruth ideology : I swing at everything coming across the plate (better to swing & miss, than not swing & watch a strike go by )

If you're going to be using a dock shooting rod, occasionally ... your choices are wide open. If you're going to be using it often, or as your primary weapon of choice ... then I'd suggest you look into a mid to mid/high range rod brand. You'll also want to match whatever rod you choose, with a reel that balances the outfit. You don't want a reel that is too heavy OR too light, as either will cause the outfit to be tiring to use. Tip heavy or butt heavy outfits are going to cause fatigue, wrist pain, etc. You do, however, want a reel that has a wide spool or long cast spool, as these help keep the line from coiling so bad. Small capacity reels (UL's) may be light weight ... but they lose distance if the cast takes a large portion of the available line, simply because the innermost line will be holding coils and won't allow free flow thru the guides (friction).

Here's something to watch : Free "Midwest Crappie" TV Show|MyOutdoorTV.com|Free Fishing Video - MyOutdoorTV.com ... click on the "Watts Bar" show. Listen to Don York describe what equipment he uses, as far as length/action of rod, line size, jig weight, etc. Don pretty much got me started shooting docks, and he's a seasoned veteran in dock shooting. Now, while I don't necessarily use the exact equipment as he does .... his choice works for him, & the methods and types of "cover" (docks/pontoons) that he fishes. If nothing else, it'll give you a wider range of choices to consider.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

6'6" medium light berkley cherrywood is the best i've tried,awesome shooting rod for the price.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 5' ugly stick because they can take alot of abuse and shoot very good.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just started shooting docks and right now I'm using an 5' ugly stick. Lots of fun!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fultondalecrappie View Post
    I like a 5' ugly stick because they can take alot of abuse and shoot very good.
    Noticed a wide variety of Ugly Stix, which one and action etc?

Post Thanks / Like

uglys tend to very alot betine rod to rod in the action to me i light there light act rod better then ul some seem like castin with a wet noddle
    Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast