Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is this? New boat...

Post Thanks / Like

Question What is this? New boat...

Might be a bilge pump or something to do with the livewell.
    I am sure my dad knows what it is but I am trying to make a
    *complete* list of things to work on this weekend. So if you could
    tell what it is from this photo, please do let me know :D Thanks...
    PS: Sorry for poor photo quality. My better lenses are of long focual
    length for bird/nature photography....

Direct picture
    Picture of boat center... 2 dry wells + live well
    Middle one is the livewell and I am pretty sure the piping from the object
    in question leads right to the livewell which would make it air pump or something
    right? Again like I said my dad probably knows but I just want to get a list of
    things to do so we can do as much as possible within the 1-2days we have.

A few pictures of the entire boat...
    Pic 1 / Pic 2 / Pic 3
    15' V-hull and a 9.9hp 4-stroke Honda.
    Couple of fishing rods and a tackle box.
    Bag full of camera gear to use while cruisin'

Post Thanks / Like

If theres a pipe going through the boat at the pump. Its a livewell pump. If the pipe gos higher on the boat bile pump.
    Just by the pictures if looks like a livewell pump.
    PEte

Post Thanks / Like

fill the livewells with water then turn that thing on. Looks like it could either be a circulation pump for the livewell or a pump in/pump out.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Appears to be an aerator pump, what pumps the water from the lake/river to the livewell

Post Thanks / Like

Is it in the livewell? If not it is a through hull pump to pump water into the livewell. If it is in the livewell, it may serve several functions ( aeration or pump out) depending on how many switch and valve options there are .

Post Thanks / Like

It is not in the livewell, its in the back left side. It isn't wired I don't think...
    We need to wire the lights and this item. There are 2 toggle switchs near
    the right side drywell that houses the battery. This is our weekend project.

We got it used mostly for the size and engine... its a nice engine :D
    Just the previous owner was "mid-project" 2-yrs going for the wiring :rolleyes:
    15' V-hull and a 9.9hp 4-stroke Honda.
    Couple of fishing rods and a tackle box.
    Bag full of camera gear to use while cruisin'

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=JonathanSQ]It is not in the livewell, its in the back left side. It isn't wired I don't think...
    We need to wire the lights and this item. There are 2 toggle switchs near
    the right side drywell that houses the battery. This is our weekend project.

We got it used mostly for the size and engine... its a nice engine :D
    Just the previous owner was "mid-project" 2-yrs going for the wiring :rolleyes:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I then believe it is a pump in system to fill the livewell. Sometimes these systems will airlock if they arerun while the boat is moving under gas power. Otherwise with a timer switch they will keep fresh water pumped into the livewell provided there is an overflow so the livewell doesn't run over. If it doesn't work you can buy a replacement from your local Walmart. They carry the tru-hull unit. Bass Pro Shop carries a timer that can be installed to allow continuous or intermitten operation. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...mCat=CROSSSELL

I couldn't tell how the livewell drained, but for it to be filled and remain filled, the drain will need to be closed. Sometimes the livewell can be partially filled by not closing the drain, but for it to be filled to the overflow, that drain will need to be closed. Depending upon the time of the year partially filling the livewell and using an aerator can ensure fish survival. If you want an aerator you can easily install one with some pvc pipe and a little wiring.
    Here is a picture of one place in a cooler. Using this as a guide you can permantly install a system in your livewell.

A pump well caulked in, a little pvc pipe ( with some holes bored for aeraton) run completely around the top of you livewell , a switch or timer,and you are in business. Wires in the livewell shold be run through a small pvc pipe.

You could just line the livewell, make it a cooler and ice them down as you catch them, assuming there is a way to clean it out.

good luck on the project.