PDA

View Full Version : FUEL STABILIZER-Just a Reminder

Mud-Dabber
12-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Not being sure how much I might utilize the outboard, I went by and purchased some Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer to add this morning. How many utilize this or another fuel stabilizer?
Mechanic said that stored fuel deteriorates in 60 days causing potential varnish deposits to build up in engines.
Might be a consideration if you are not sure about using the outboard for several months now that winter is upon us.

Good Fishing,
Mud-Dabber

tahoe 50
12-01-2005, 11:09 AM
When ever I mix more fuel for my outbord I put in Stabilizer with the oil. That way I don't have to worry about it.

Dave in currituck n.c.

Joe
12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
My 115 sits covered for 6-7 months every summer. I have been using sta-bil
for several years and have had no problems.
Joe

Not being sure how much I might utilize the outboard, I went by and purchased some Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer to add this morning. How many utilize this or another fuel stabilizer?
Mechanic said that stored fuel deteriorates in 60 days causing potential varnish deposits to build up in engines.
Might be a consideration if you are not sure about using the outboard for several months now that winter is upon us.

Good Fishing,
Mud-Dabber

crappieseeker
12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
This makes me ask a question. What about not burning out all the gas in your tank between fishing trips periodically. I have never let my boat get below half a tank, I always top off on every fishing trip. Should I from time to time run the tank empty and then refill?

TAE73
12-01-2005, 12:00 PM
This makes me ask a question. What about not burning out all the gas in your tank between fishing trips periodically. I have never let my boat get below half a tank, I always top off on every fishing trip. Should I from time to time run the tank empty and then refill?

No do not run it empty, having the tanks full will keep moisture from forming inside tanks.

Joe
12-01-2005, 12:04 PM
I do not keep a full tank of gas and do not run the gas out of the motor.
This has been working well for me.
Joe

UOTE=TAE73]No do not run it empty, having the tanks full will keep moisture from forming inside tanks.[/QUOTE]

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
12-01-2005, 12:15 PM
My boat sit's idle more in the hot summer months than it does in the winter months.

Mo'nBack
12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Mine never sits for over a month. If it sits close to a month, I take it out and fish/ride for a day, then get ready for the next trip. Used the sta-bil in an old 9.5hp I had borrowed and never had any problems.

justfish
12-01-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm with Tahoe 50. I run sta-bil in every tank.

Barnacle Bill
12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't use sta bil anymore in my outboard. I use Sea Foam. It does the same thing plus keeps carbon from building up. I read several outboard forums and have never heard anything bad about it. Its fantastic for your car/truck too.

squirrel hunter
12-01-2005, 04:02 PM
I have been adding sta-bil for 5 years in a Yamaha 9.9 on the same set of plugs and I fish at least 1 day per week for 9 mo. out of the year.
Also use use it for lawnmower, weed-wacker, and chain saw.
Wouldn't be caught without it!

JIM 1
12-01-2005, 04:22 PM
My old Merc is an oil injected 2 cycle 175, it has a 24 gallon tank, and I have never used stabilizer at all, just fill it almost full before I put it away and run can of octance booster in it the first time out in the Spring. It is 1986 model, and never had the heads off.......knocking on wood now BIT TIME, lol. However I do change plugs every year, and use only Quiksilver oil, and maximum octane gasoline. But like the man said "there are only two kinds of outboards, those that have blown up and those that are about to!"

crome
12-01-2005, 06:44 PM
i also use sea foam in my boat,it's some good stuff.

gcromer
12-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I use Sta-Bil and Ring Free
Gerald K4NHN

FalconSmitty
12-01-2005, 11:37 PM
I unplug and run it out everytime I leave the lake even if I will go within 24 hrs. Unless I get sick I won't need sta-bil. I gotta fish twice a week at the least. Lakes don't freeze over in Bama.

zappaf19
12-02-2005, 03:40 AM
When I worked @ a marina We would put stabe in the gas then run the motor for a while for it to get in the carbs. We would then unplug the fuel line and let the motor idle till it ran all the gas out. The stabe would coat the carbs and with no gas in the carbs no varnish. We would change lower unit oil and unhook the battery. (best bet is to put the battery in the garage off the floor and trickle charge 2 or 3 times during the winter. Makes the bat. last longer.
Bill

waxworm
12-02-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't know what the heck seafoam is made of, but I have to agree, it is the most amazing stuff I have ever used. Not only has it made me completely quit worrying about gumming up my carb when the boat sits for a while, but I have no doubt that my boat runs better because of it.

Mud-Dabber
12-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Great information. Can someone tell me what the SeaFoam is and where or how to purchase. I have not ever heard of it before. As expensive as these outboards have become, you cannot be proactive enough. As Dennis Bowers mentioned to me, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

I appreciate any information you might pass along.

Thanks,
Mud-Dabber

Barnacle Bill
12-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Great information. Can someone tell me what the SeaFoam is and where or how to purchase. I have not ever heard of it before. As expensive as these outboards have become, you cannot be proactive enough. As Dennis Bowers mentioned to me, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

I appreciate any information you might pass along.

Thanks,
Mud-Dabber

Most auto parts stores carry it. I get mine at Autozone. Napa carries it and I believe I seen somewhere that Walmart carried it, but I haven't seen it there. Besides being a stabalizer, it removes and prevents carbon buildup. Its really amazing stuff. Go to this site http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi and do a search on it.