Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best reel for the money ever?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best reel for the money ever?

I stopped into the FishUSA store tonight to take a look at a few reels. The guy there asked me what I thought of Shakespeare reels and I made a face and said they were pretty much cheap junk. They know me pretty well there and he said he wanted me to check out a new reel they just got in and he went out back and got it. The reel was a Shakespeare Deceiver. http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/c..._sp.html#specs

He took the reel out for me and let me handle it before he told me how much it cost. I looked it over spun it and flipped and tripped the bail a few times. To my feel it felt like it was built to spec somewhere between the Pflueger President and supreme, and I was favorably impressed with the reel and expected him to tell me it was $80 or $90. Then he tells me it's $40 and my eyebrows go up and I take a much closer look at it. 10 bearings, titanium spool lip, spare spool, well built, smooth, great bail trip, tight, lighter than a President and pretty sharp looking. Without doubt, the best $40 reel by far I have ever handled. The only size he had was a little big for crappie or I would have got one and reviewed it here. I will get one next time I run over there and they have a smaller one and review it.

This reel from the limited exposure I had to it is easily the equivalent of the President, and maybe better. Until I purchased both a couple Presidents and a Daiwa Excelor I had not found any reel under $100 that I could both recommend and happily use. Now I might just have to say there is a $40 reel I would both use and recommend, and go as far as to say it may just be the best crappie reel for the money I have ever seen. Any of you that have been spending $40 for pieces of junk need to go take a look at this reel. I was really impressed with it.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-03-2010 at 03:58 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Grizz, all I use is Pflueger....from ice rods to steelhead/salmon and I always tell anyone who wants to listen that I think the President series is the best bang for your buck....easily...now I have to go check this one out ! Can't hurt to pick one up to give a test ride for awhile..gives me an excuse to buy another piece of equipment.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing. I'll check them out today.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Found em in Crappie size. $34.97
    Looks like a winner.
    Shakespeare Deceiver Spinning Reel - modells.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like the president myself....I just like what i like..... the reel dont look bad. i will have to go to gander mountain and check to see if there carrying it yet

Post Thanks / Like

For sure after they were bought out this brand was eased over into the Pfluger line, since their all under the big parent Co. now. Pfluger before they released the brand again years ago piloted a series of reels for BPS, then jumped back into the market. Before long you will be able to crossover parts between these two reel brands.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default model# ??

Quote Originally Posted by FIN View Post
    Found em in Crappie size. $34.97
    Looks like a winner.
    Shakespeare Deceiver Spinning Reel - modells.com
    Fin,

1025 or 1030?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

i would say 1030 because of the 6 to 1 ratio
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hat55 View Post
    Fin,

1025 or 1030?
    Model: 1025 is a little too light I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Decent looking reel, might have to stop by the tackle shop to take a look at it.

Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast