Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no more fishing from the bank! :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default no more fishing from the bank! :)

well i finally bought my 1st boat. it's an '06 Lowe L1436. also bought a Minn Kota Endura 46# trolling motor and an Eagle FishMark 480 fish finder. all i need to do now is mount some rod holders and ill be readyto fish. i kinda wish i would have bought a wider boat but it will be just fine for what i do. ive been shopping around for a 5-10 hp motor. anywho....here's a couple pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Mighty fine lookin rig there Cody , i caught more fish outta my smalll johnboat than any other boat I've ever had.
    Good luck on the outbpoard

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the boat don`t catch the fish it just gits you out there . yep nice rig. keep loking and you will find a good use motor . just post and keep looking on the forsale forum down below the states forum
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cody congrats. I just got a little (narrow) 14 ft jon myself and was concerned about stability too as I am a non-swimmer and a big boy. All
    my previous boats were bigger. But hey, no problem, as long as I keep my
    center of gravity low I"m ok. I put a 36# Endura on it and it pushes it fine.
    I got into some strong wind the other night and I had enough power to quarter into it without getting spun around (rear mount). Any windier and size tr motor would've been secondary to quality of PFD as there would not
    have been any size tr motor kept you from swamping. I am from Minn. so I
    guess you know to flip it over and wax the keel well- can pull behind snowmobile and give "hayrides". LOL. Have fun.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great start!!

Excellent way to get started! I've still got my first boat. It's a 1232 riveted with a swivel seat mounted on the very front for paddleing. A buddy lent me an older 9.5 hp motor and I fished out of it for about 10 years. I kept his motor in good shape with yearly shop visits and kept it covered. He got a big boat and didn't think he needed the little motor, but he wouldn't sell it to me. No trailor (for the first 5 years), no trolling motor, no depth finders, no rod holders, and no livewell. Just 2 swivel seats. I don't think that my big boat will ever total the fish weight that little boat has carried. Got in places others couldn't fish. Only quit using it cause the wife and kids kindof make it shakey and it's starting to hurt my back doing all that paddleing!!!
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Great boat.....I started out with a Alumacraft 14/48 I rigged it up with carpet swivel seats, graph....had a 20 horse Merc. I fished lakes, rivers and even watersheds. I have a bigger boat now, but still miss my little one. Someday, I hope to be able to have a place where I could store both.

Post Thanks / Like

I got started in an 8' "Pond Hopper" that I used to just throw in the back of the truck. Had a MK 36# TM on it. I used it for about 5 or 6 years before I got the boat I have now. caught my biggest bass out of it (see my bio). If I would have been crappie fishing at the time I would have kept it for sure. Anyway, good luck with the new rig, you are already light years ahead of where some of us started just because you have yourself new boat on a trailer! Make sure your kids know how to operate that thing, just in case.
    Last edited by smedley; 12-01-2005 at 08:16 AM.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Nice start to a great boat. I have an old sears 14/36 Jon with a 9.9 Merc and 38 lb trolling motor ($99 Wal mart special) Works great. I decked it up front added rod holders, a pedestal mount, big battery, lights, a folding bench seat in the middle for my wife and son. I can't imagine needing anything else. As far as stability, I can stand on the bow deck and toss a cast net with no problems.

I recommend at least a 9.9, but if you can afford a 15, get it. I've never heard anyone complain that they had too much power

My 9.9 is adequate for my boat, brings me and the family up to plane, and there are several lakes around me that have a <10 HP restriction. I wish I had a bit more motor for the bigger water. Especially with the added weight of my "options". I'm no lightweight myself.

Funny thing is, now that you are off the bank, you will end up fishing off of it anyway, just from the lakeside rather than the land.
    Last edited by Bowfin; 12-01-2005 at 12:28 PM.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

Awsome!!! Thats a great little boat and will work well for you. I just bought a 1436L made by alumacraft. I also bought a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp engine and a 36lbs thrust MinnKota transom mount trolling motor. I turned the handle around and I mounted the trolling motor on the front of the boat. I love my little boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice boat Me and my dad nearly bought one of those, a '05.
    We decided to hold out and get a complete (used) setup though.

Add a little motor and it'll be a great "pond-hopper" We have a small
    9.9hp 4-stroke Honda. It goes pretty good, not like a racer or anything.
    This is with 2 larger-set people mind you (bout 430lbs all together)
    15' V-hull and a 9.9hp 4-stroke Honda.
    Couple of fishing rods and a tackle box.
    Bag full of camera gear to use while cruisin'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast