Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat anchor question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat anchor question.

I have ordered my Lund Pro Guide 1675 "Crappie Edition" and should have it in 4-6 weeks. My question is, what type anchor is best for crappie fishing? I don't want an anchor that gets snagged up in structure that I can't get out. Also, how long of an anchor rope would you get? I don't anticipate fishing in any water deeper than 30'.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

3 foot of rope for 1 foot of depth works for me. The rest seems overkill for temporary anchoring.

Scope
    Scope is the ratio of the length of deployed anchor rope to the height of the bow chock above the seabed. The greater the scope the more horizontal the pull on the anchor, and the better it will hold. Pegging 10:1 as the maximum practical scope, the table shows the average relative holding power associated with shorter scope.

Scope Holding Power
    10:1 100%
    7:1 91%
    6:1 85%
    5:1 77%
    4:1 67%
    3:1 53%
    2:1 35%

Post Thanks / Like

Good question, Tap. Really curious to see what the 'pros' think. Personally, I just use a mushroom shaped anchor, and usually don't have tooooo much trouble gettin un up. Good question, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchors

For over a dozen years I've been successfully using a fluke slip-ring anchor. This is the type of anchor designed to easily retract from snags. Prior to using this anchor (and I've had this SAME anchor for that many years!) I use to lose an anchor or two every season. Some of the stump filled reservoirs in my neck of the woods, actually do eat anchors alive! :D

With the slip ring, you anchor as you usually do. When you cannot retrieve it, due to being hung on the bottom, you just let out some more line and do a 180 degree turn around and ahead of the anchor. The ring slips to the back and you pull the flukes right out. Works like a charm.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I like the mushrooms. I tie them a little differently though. I tie the rope to one of the drain holes in the bottom of the anchor. Then I wrap just enough monofilament through the normal eye to hold the rope in place. If I get snagged, I can pull hard and the mono will break, which makes the anchor flip over. That usually gets you out of the snag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I like the mushrooms. I tie them a little differently though. I tie the rope to one of the drain holes in the bottom of the anchor. Then I wrap just enough monofilament through the normal eye to hold the rope in place. If I get snagged, I can pull hard and the mono will break, which makes the anchor flip over. That usually gets you out of the snag.
    Good idea! Just hope I can remember it when springtime rolls around!:D

Post Thanks / Like

anyone tried the Ricther anchors from Cabela's? I use two 20lb navy anchors with 5 ft of chain, 200ft of rope on both. keep'em in a 5 gal bucket. put a large float on the end of ya rope, for when ya buddy lets the end slip thru his hands!!!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishdoc View Post
    anyone tried the Ricther anchors from Cabela's? I use two 20lb navy anchors with 5 ft of chain, 200ft of rope on both. keep'em in a 5 gal bucket. put a large float on the end of ya rope, for when ya buddy lets the end slip thru his hands!!!
    Yep, I use the Richter anchors and really like them..I bought a heavy duty rubber bowl from Tractor Supply which holds the anchor perfectly..I would highly recommend Richter anchors...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer not anchoring (spook fish). Either I use trollmotor on low/low to keep in area I wanta fish or use my limb grabber which I connect to tree or stob & tie off rope to cleat when I get boat where I want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JigFisher View Post
    I prefer not anchoring (spook fish). Either I use trollmotor on low/low to keep in area I wanta fish or use my limb grabber which I connect to tree or stob & tie off rope to cleat when I get boat where I want it.
    I've seen where anchorin seems to spook fish, but since I've started usin 200ft per anchor this is not a problem. Thanks, DonG. been wantin to try'em. prolly will next time I lose another one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast