PDA

View Full Version : Running 12 volt batteries in series

papermouthking
01-31-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a 12 volt trolling motor ,and I was wanting to see if any one else out there ran there 12 volt trolling motor in series,to extend the run time of there trolling motor for more hours of fishing? Is there any negative effects of doing this??

Barnacle Bill
01-31-2010, 09:48 PM
If you wire them in series you will have 24V. You motor will run very very fast until it burns up. If you wire them in parallel it will double your run time.

BigSandyRookie
01-31-2010, 09:54 PM
So, you can run them in series if you have a 24 volt motor?? Can you also run them in parallel? Would there be any advantage?? Again, if your motor is 24 volt. Thanks

Barnacle Bill
01-31-2010, 10:04 PM
So, you can run them in series if you have a 24 volt motor?? Can you also run them in parallel? Would there be any advantage?? Again, if your motor is 24 volt. Thanks

With the newer motors you wire them for series or parallel. But to answer your question, yes. If you have a 24 volt motor and 4 batteries you could set up a series/parallel installation.

gabowman
01-31-2010, 10:10 PM
I have a 12 volt trolling motor ,and I was wanting to see if any one else out there ran there 12 volt trolling motor in series,to extend the run time of there trolling motor for more hours of fishing? Is there any negative effects of doing this?? Hook hot to hot, and ground to ground and they'll be in parallel, which is what you want for 12v. And yes, they'll give you twice the run time.

Mine stay wired this way all the time. When I charge them my charger sits on a shelf in the boat barn and the leads reach the batts so I leave them connected in parallel and hook the charger to just one battery (+ & -) and they both charge together. Just remember to keep a check on the fluid level.;)

blueball
02-01-2010, 09:45 PM
will the onboard charger work the same for 12 volt parallel when hooked two only one battery

Barnacle Bill
02-02-2010, 12:27 AM
will the onboard charger work the same for 12 volt parallel when hooked two only one battery

Could you explain that a little more?

cook
02-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Could you explain that a little more?

as long as both batteries are connected parallel(neg. to neg. and pos. to pos.),what ever goes in to 1 goes to the other.

when you hook 2 batteries in series,the voltage doubles,but amps.stay the same

in parallel,the amps double and voltage stays the same

so in theory-a 12v motor connected to 2 batteries in parallel will give you the total running time of both amp ratings added

a 24v motor with 2 batteries in series will only give you the running time of the average of the 2 batteries(both amp ratings added together and divided by 2)

JigFisher
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Yes, I did it for yrs w/12v in parallel. I'd fish Rayburn for 4-5 days (camping) without a charge. It does extend your troll/fishing time.

SCOTTY1094
02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Both Batts Should Match In Age And Amp Ratings

Papa Dawg
02-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I have a 12 volt set up and I tied two 12 volt batteries parallel in order to get more trolling time between charges. It works very well. I have both batteries wired to an on board charger. With the parallel set up I don't know that that it necessary but it works. With a trickle charge I guess you can't go wrong.

Another similar topic. How can you tell when your batteries are getting weak? Comments?

yankee doodler
02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
An even better option than (2) 12v in parallel would be (2) 6v golf cart batteries in series. Gives you more amp hours.

kkrueger
02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I started to set mine up like this for the electric only lakes that I fish, but if they die I don't have the option of cranking up the big motor. So I'm still running them individually and when one dies I know I have a good one.

If I was really smart I'd buy a third battery and always have 1 as a spare.

Hattiesburger
03-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Both Batts Should Match In Age And Amp Ratings

The reason for this is that if you wire 2 batteries in parallel and use a regulated charger to charge them together at the same time, the battery charger will only push current to the level of the most responsive battery. Most modern battery chargers have a regulated current loop. In essence the battery charger will seek a minimum current after the hotter battery is charged leaving the older or poorer battery still receptive to increasing charge. I'm using older or poorer battery to describe the effect of having 2 batteries strapped in parallel where one is obviously more competent than the other. This same condition will prevail if the 2 batteries are new but not rated for the same amperage or capacity (i.e. the same number of CCA's). If you're using an unregulated charger the hotter battery will be pushed beyond its charge capacity and will boil out water and possibly damage the internal plates in the battery before the weaker battery reaches saturation or becomes fully charged.

I hope this is clearer than mud.

blairarnold
03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
IBNFSHN is the man on batteries.

oldbigun
03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I run two Delco 29 series parallel with an on board charger and have had no trouble for four years now.