PDA

View Full Version : Smithville or northern guys

cook
11-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Well,gave it a shot today.1 keeper out of 9 crappie and 6 white bass.All dinks like me if i just got out of a cold shower.

Anyways,the rod tips kept freezing up with ice(started out at 26 degrees-rose to 28 :D )
Have read about spraying the guides with cooking spray but never tried it,any other tips or suggestions?
Also am using power pro this year(braided line)think it picks up more water than mono,but have had it freeze up with mono also.

How about it-any tips on freezing tips.

ShortStorie
11-30-2005, 03:47 PM
How about that commercially available line stuff... "Reel Magic" is one brand.
I've heard of the cooking spray working as well.
You definitely win the committed fisherman award... Have you tried "earth anchor" augers for fishing during tornadoes... :)

cook
11-30-2005, 08:08 PM
+. Have you tried "earth anchor" augers for fishing during tornadoes... :)
Last Sunday nite-worked fairly well in solid ground-not so hot on the bank...:eek: :eek:

ShortStorie
12-02-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm trying a time-tested method of preventing line freeze up.
Built a fire in the fireplace, ate a good breakfast... and stayed home!
13 degree wind chill at the moment...

bmoffitt30
12-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I might make it out later today. Depends on how cold that wind is around noon. I will let you all know if I do go.

bmoffitt30
12-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, I did brave the cold today. Caught about 10 in about an hour. Could have caught more but that crosswind was blowing straight from the east out of Shady Hollow out to the main lake. I had to drop my jig, drift over the old dam...get a bite, troll back in front of the dam and do it all over again. I was tired of fighting the wind so I called it a day. I just hope that the wind calms down one of these days. Probably had 2 or 3 keepers but I didn't want to mess with cleaning fish.

cook
12-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Was a bit breezey today,got a few.

Not many days left.

ShortStorie
12-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Moffitt, Cook... Your posts for the last week or two are perfect examples of why I read this board. Two guys on opposite ends of the same lake, sharing detailed information on how they manage to catch fish in weather that would have most people saying "You're nuts!" Moffett, using the east wind that keeps most people home; Cook, fishing jigs from shore when conventional advice says "they're all deep for the winter"

Thanks guys... I grew up loving the water, bicycling to Knob Noster state park with my solid steel (Yes!) rod with a click drag reel, trying to catch a bluegill... without the help of anyone who knew how to fish. Dad was a great guy, but not a fisherman. ... By the way, did you ever see a bluegill that had been carried 5 miles down a dusty road on a bicycle? :)

cook
12-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words.Won't be to many more reports from the river section as it is starting to freeze up.Never really trusted the ice around here to walk on,especially in a river section.Some sunny days there will be some open pockets of water where wood sticks out of the ice,but its a b1tch trying to retrieve any fish over the lip of the ice.Think mon. I'll start trying the lake.

Go Chiefs-I hate those donkeys from out west!!

bmoffitt30
12-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks ShortStorie. I have decided to wait to head back out when it is a calm day. I don't mind the cold weather but cold wind is no fun at all.

bmoffitt30
12-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Has anybody driven by the lake since the snow storm? I was wondering if there is any ice anywhere and if the ramps are full of snow.

cook
12-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Well,I haven't driven by,but with -13 temps. and 10 inches of snow,you probably know the answer.

bmoffitt30
12-10-2005, 11:40 PM
True. I guess it was a dumb question. The better question would be, "how much ice is on the lake?"

cook
12-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Can't say,but the river section and the area by the free ramp have been frozen since the Chiefs spanked the Donkeys(last Sun.)

Hope the trend continues and they spank the Cowgirls also!!

dmac
12-11-2005, 07:35 AM
I went by Smithville yesterday (saturday) and the boat ramp at route w was completely iced in all the way and in under the bridge. Little Platte was iced in but only for about 75 yrds. Main lake was open. If not to windy I will probably try to put in there Monday.

ShortStorie
12-11-2005, 04:03 PM
The main lake is frozen north of Hwy W to a point about 50 yards south of the bridge. There were 2 boats tied to the bridge! Looked like they had come from the south and broken a path through the ice.

Drove up to the free ramp just to refresh my memory (Why not?...The truck was already dirty). Two other trucks drove up. Must be something staring at a frozen river... Crappie better not relax... fishermen are stairing restlessly.

cook
12-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Ohhhhhhhh,the pain and misery of the final minute of the game.:mad: :mad: That just flat out sukked.

ShortStorie
12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
That WAS painful!...Almost as painful as the virus that attacked my computer this morning. Thought I had a good defense too! At least I have access at work! "How addiction to 'Crappie.com' cost me my job" It could happen.

bmoffitt30
12-12-2005, 05:01 PM
The good news is that I was on the water today. They still have 1 dock in the water at Little Platte. W bridge launch is iced over. They have pulled the docks out of the water at Crows Creek and Camp Branch (there were some people that launched at Camp Branch, I will get to later in the post).

The bad news is that I was in Shady Hollow for a little over an hour. No bites but maybe that was because I was messing with my new Humminbird Matrix 17 fishfinder! Another boat came into the cove and he wasn't getting any bites either so I guess the fish had lock jaw today. As I was getting ready to leave, a boat trolled over. They lost all battery power on their crank battery and were almost out of juice on their trolling batteries. I tried to jump them but that didn't work so I had to tow them to Camp Branch. It took awhile but I got them to the ramp and I hope they made it home safe. They tried to offer me some money but I just told them that it wasn't a problem to help out a fellow crappie angler. They said that they caught a few under the W bridge but the bite was pretty slow. Since there were no docks at the ramp at Camp Branch, I bet it was tough getting in the water without getting wet.

It sure does suck getting skunked though. No bites....:mad:

cook
12-13-2005, 05:16 AM
Well I found some open water in the river,about five sq. feet in a log jam.No bites.

There was some open water between the pillars under the free ramp bridge.But not much.Caught one but couldn't get it over the lip of the ice.
Gave up and went deer hunting for a doe.Broke thru a creek and soaked my left foot/boot.
Went home and took a nap.

TAE73
12-13-2005, 06:19 AM
I have never fished Smithville but doesnt it have docks on it??? If it did and it was me, that is where I would be fishing. The fish are holding just under the docks right now on LOZ and will pretty much hit anything right now.

bmoffitt30
12-13-2005, 07:36 AM
The only "docks" are the boat slips by the marinas. I was going to try to fish the slips yesterday but I ran out of daylight after I towed the stranded fishermen to their boat ramp.