Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smithville or northern guys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville or northern guys

Well,gave it a shot today.1 keeper out of 9 crappie and 6 white bass.All dinks like me if i just got out of a cold shower.

Anyways,the rod tips kept freezing up with ice(started out at 26 degrees-rose to 28 :D )
    Have read about spraying the guides with cooking spray but never tried it,any other tips or suggestions?
    Also am using power pro this year(braided line)think it picks up more water than mono,but have had it freeze up with mono also.

How about it-any tips on freezing tips.

Post Thanks / Like

How about that commercially available line stuff... "Reel Magic" is one brand.
    I've heard of the cooking spray working as well.
    You definitely win the committed fisherman award... Have you tried "earth anchor" augers for fishing during tornadoes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie
    +. Have you tried "earth anchor" augers for fishing during tornadoes...
    Last Sunday nite-worked fairly well in solid ground-not so hot on the bank...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying a time-tested method of preventing line freeze up.
    Built a fire in the fireplace, ate a good breakfast... and stayed home!
    13 degree wind chill at the moment...

Post Thanks / Like

I might make it out later today. Depends on how cold that wind is around noon. I will let you all know if I do go.
    When in doubt, set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did brave the cold today. Caught about 10 in about an hour. Could have caught more but that crosswind was blowing straight from the east out of Shady Hollow out to the main lake. I had to drop my jig, drift over the old dam...get a bite, troll back in front of the dam and do it all over again. I was tired of fighting the wind so I called it a day. I just hope that the wind calms down one of these days. Probably had 2 or 3 keepers but I didn't want to mess with cleaning fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Was a bit breezey today,got a few.

Not many days left.

Post Thanks / Like

Moffitt, Cook... Your posts for the last week or two are perfect examples of why I read this board. Two guys on opposite ends of the same lake, sharing detailed information on how they manage to catch fish in weather that would have most people saying "You're nuts!" Moffett, using the east wind that keeps most people home; Cook, fishing jigs from shore when conventional advice says "they're all deep for the winter"

Thanks guys... I grew up loving the water, bicycling to Knob Noster state park with my solid steel (Yes!) rod with a click drag reel, trying to catch a bluegill... without the help of anyone who knew how to fish. Dad was a great guy, but not a fisherman. ... By the way, did you ever see a bluegill that had been carried 5 miles down a dusty road on a bicycle?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words.Won't be to many more reports from the river section as it is starting to freeze up.Never really trusted the ice around here to walk on,especially in a river section.Some sunny days there will be some open pockets of water where wood sticks out of the ice,but its a b1tch trying to retrieve any fish over the lip of the ice.Think mon. I'll start trying the lake.

Go Chiefs-I hate those donkeys from out west!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ShortStorie. I have decided to wait to head back out when it is a calm day. I don't mind the cold weather but cold wind is no fun at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast