PDA

View Full Version : King rigs (Racoon)

pete
01-31-2010, 07:22 PM
ok here are just a few of the main types of rigs i make. you can make many variations of each obviously.

on top is the plain "naked" rig. use this for live bait mostly, or light lining when anchored. a lot of times i will put a skirt in front as well.

the rig in the middle is also a topwater rig i use for dead baits. the jighead is 1/8 oz i believe. this rig here i love putting on a downrigger as well. runs true, and staight. i like running a skirt in front of them. you can however use them skirtless (i think skirt makes a huge difference when catching mahi)

and the one on the bottom is the one i was talkin about. that is a 1 oz jighead. i particually like the 1 and 1 1/2 oz jigheads. these are used for dead bait only as well and makes them run true. if you want you can put a skirt in front of it as well.

also i learned the hard way fishing the US OPEN king tournament...i only use the spro swivles now on most of my king rigs. worth the extra $$ you pay per pack.

hope this helps, the one on the bottom is a KILLER at and around the tower. a must have rig.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/pmmalec/NormanKing009.jpg

pete
01-31-2010, 07:24 PM
as i said, i have several different variations of each including bigger jigheads, different colors, some naked, some with skirts, and a "double pogie rig" but those are the main ones i use. i mostly fish dead bait because we are after numbers and not size, but mostly fish livebait during the hot kingbite that usually occures in the Fall.

poppop
01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Looks good...I can put all I know about king fishing in this sentence.

screwdriver
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Hey Pete is that skirt on backwards or have I been putting them on wrong?------

pete
01-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Hey Pete is that skirt on backwards or have I been putting them on wrong?------

shhhhhh thats the new secret...im starting to run them backwards because of the "flare" effect. :cool:

screwdriver
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Had me worried there for a minute, I thought next you would be telling me to hook cigars, tails first-----------I'd probaly try it.

Good Stuff
01-31-2010, 08:46 PM
They look great Pete!! Nice tight wraps on the wire to hook and wire to Browns jig head. Now lets see the ribbon fish set up;)

pete
01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
They look great Pete!! Nice tight wraps on the wire to hook and wire to Browns jig head. Now lets see the ribbon fish set up;)

haha i pass on the ribbon fish rigs. never find a point personally in using them except on a tourmanet.

i have a few what i call "big bait" rigs for bluefish and spanish. simple, just 3-4 inline hooks.

Iamfishing
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Pete's rigs work too.....this king from October 2008.....25+lbs.....off Oak Island ...

fishinRod
02-01-2010, 09:22 AM
I'd like to see how they look with the bait on

Racoon
02-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Pete, looks about like what I make, I've never used a jighead though. Just an egg on the wire above the swivel.

If you like for your hooks and joints to be extra dangley, make your loops around a 16-20 penny nail and then slip it out of the loop after you make the wraps, makes a round loop.

When it comes to skirts, think pink and the green/yellow.;)

Those look like Eagle Claw 4x stong? Ever spend the $ for the Owner 4x trebles? They are about $1.00/ea but they is sharp as a bee sting!!

pete
02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Pete, looks about like what I make, I've never used a jighead though. Just an egg on the wire above the swivel.

If you like for your hooks and joints to be extra dangley, make your loops around a 16-20 penny nail and then slip it out of the loop after you make the wraps, makes a round loop.

When it comes to skirts, think pink and the green/yellow.;)

Those look like Eagle Claw 4x stong? Ever spend the $ for the Owner 4x trebles? They are about $1.00/ea but they is sharp as a bee sting!!

Steve, thanks for the reminder....you must made my cabin fever worse!! :D

Racoon, i do not like large loops, reason is it doesnt give the bait the natural action. it has a tendency to "spin" under water.

those are eagle claw 4x's. i use them and the nickle plated ones regular. i dont care for the $1.00 per hook because when we catch a king, most of the time, we cut the hook off, and throw it in the box. always forget about it. also when them pesky sharpnose sharks are around, we'll bring them boatside, and cut the wire as close to the mouth as we can and forget about it.

the eagle claws work just fine ;)

and i 100% agree with you on the pink and chart skirts ;)
try adding a purple, and a blue/white to your arsenal too ;) ;)

todobien
02-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I can't remember how much they cost these days as I have a big box but take a look at the VMC trebles too. Also try some red trebles.

pete
02-02-2010, 07:40 PM

here is my typical loop......they go in the tackle shop on the island for $2 each for the typical 2 hook livebait, and more for different variations and such, and they turn around and sell it for a bit more. no complaints ;)

anyone interested in some shoot me a pm.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/pmmalec/kingrig006.jpg

Racoon
02-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Pete, I hope you make a killing selling rigs!! That is hard work, I always seem to stick myself with the hooks or the wire ends.

I've had people say make me some rigs and I'll pay you for them, especialy my Hatteras Island Hi/Lo rig for surf fishing. I don't think they could aford them if I charge for MY labor!. 130lb leader albrighted onto a mono hi/lo.

Those look very good!

jthompsonjr
02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Ahhhh....bringing up images of a warmer, fish catching time.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x11/jthompsonjr/22_king.jpg

Holden Beach king mackerel from summer before last. My biggest to date. (Keep in mind, that ugly mug holding it is 6'3 260).

Good looking rigs Pete. The pink skirt has always been my favorite. I may have to try some with the heavier jig heads-- I normally use 3/8 ounce.

Got a favorite color for mahi?

pete
02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Got a favorite color for mahi?

nice feeeeesh

PINK by far best for mahi.