Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Double edged sword

Post Thanks / Like

Default Double edged sword

With all the rain we've had the lakes in AZ have come way up. There's a lot more rain to come and a lot of snow in the high country to melt this spring. All the new water brings well needed nutrients and new cover for the fish to hide and spawn in. This should also spark off an incredible shad spawn this summer.

But it also brings in tons of debris which make fishing and navigation very tough. It also shocks the fish a bit and slows down there pre-spawn activity. Plus with the snow melt, the water temps will stay low and many not get warm enough fast enough for a good spawn.

I don’t mean to be negative; I’m usually the biggest cheerleader for crappie fishing going into the spring. But I have to be honest and this year has shades of 2005 all over it.
    Bill Eveland

Arizona Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Bill. I am thinking of going crappie fishing with a friend on the 21st. Where do you think my best chances are to put us on some fish? I have only fished for crappie about three or four times. I think I have personally caught about 5 of those tasty fellas. He has never fished for crappie. We originally were going to head out next sunday but I hoped that it would be better conditions of we waited another 2 weeks.
    What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say Alamo. We (AZCA) are meeting there for fishing/ camping on the 20th and 21st. Weather will be the key.
    Bill Eveland

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that would be really cool to meet up with you guys out there. Looks like it is about a 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive from SE Gilbert though. I don't know if I will be able to do that for a one day trip. We both work late on the 20th. Is there a second best opportunity out there that might work for us? What about Bartlett? Does Pleasant have Crappie in it?

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Debris slicks everywhere,every lake dude.Even Alamo is up about 25'.Looks like gills for a while.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZfisherdude View Post
    Wow, that would be really cool to meet up with you guys out there. Looks like it is about a 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive from SE Gilbert though. I don't know if I will be able to do that for a one day trip. We both work late on the 20th. Is there a second best opportunity out there that might work for us? What about Bartlett? Does Pleasant have Crappie in it?
    3 Hours tops and well worth it. Bartlett can be good but there is lots of debris there. Plez has crappie but it sucks right now.

Alamo is way up but last Friday the Army Corps started releasing water. We had great weather for several days and its going to be nice all week. Alamo should be crackin!
    Bill Eveland

Post Thanks / Like

Wtf ?
    Dick, Tonto Basin Az

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Spammer got in.
    "Garden Hackler"lol