Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone fish main lake bluffs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone fish main lake bluffs

Anyone fish main lake bluffs in the winter time? With the drops and ledges on them. They would have to hold plenty of fish in the cold winter. Also would warm the water faster on days with sun and no wind.
    Also how would you fish them?
    Pete

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

sloooow
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up let you know soon...

..usually fish for stripers in winter.. :D ..will do more crappie this year....plan on drop-shot with jig/minnows for starts...good luck to you...
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard of folks getting real close to the wall, and casting parralel
    to it, with a jig, letting it fall in an arc down the side - but I ain't got
    enough patience for that!!!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

2 ways to fish the bluffs that I know of and 1 is cast paralle to the bluff with a jig and count down and the other is use a slip float with either a jig or Minnow.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught some bigguns along the bluffs on Wilson last early spring. In 45 feet of water sometimes. Caught them tightlining. They hold fish. I just lost a lot of rigs, but worth it knowing I might catch 15" fish
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Here on Norris Lake in east TN we fish the rocky bluffs during the winter drawdown...as well as the main channels...you're right...the bluffs do warm during the day and draw baitfish...cast small crankbaits/buzzbaits close to the bluffs...or try jigging along the dropoffs with Man-O-Lures, etc.....surface baits like Pop-Rs have worked well during the early mornings/late evenings....have caught some nice smallmouths and a couple of monster freshwater drum these ways...now that the cold front has moved thru and the wind has died down, I'm gonna try 'em this afternoon....will let ya know....good luck to ya.....

Bushrod:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Main Lake Bluffs

About 10 days ago son and I limited on Truman Lake (Missouri) on channel bluffs, outside bends. Using 1/16th oz jigs we cast next to the bluff wall and let the jig fall on a semi-tight line. There was not a distinct "peck" or bite, the line just "loaded up". Good graphite rods and a sensitive line are essential for this type of bite. We caught about 2-4 fish per bluff, except for the last one fished, it was a honey-hole with several nice fish coming off a break between slab and chunk rock on the bluff face.

I think this pattern will hold till the freeze, as the channels were loaded with shad that had moved out of cove back-ends.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys I will try them. I know I ahve caught some nice crappie when I was bas fishing. And draging bandit crankbaits down them.
    Pete