Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pro staff trolling rods or Capps and Coleman trolling rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro staff trolling rods or Capps and Coleman trolling rods

I am wanting to get some 14' and 16' trolling rods for clear water spider rigging and I was wanting to know opinions on which was better.

Post Thanks / Like

Capps and Coleman have a little bit more give to them than the PST's. PST's have a sensitive tip with alot of backbone. I like them both, but pst's better

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with West Tenn Crappie. I have fished with both and I perfer the PST. If I were you I would use the 14 ft rods. I just don't care for them 16-20ft rods.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use 8 PST rods and like them alot...12 foot. Have'nt tried the Capps and Coleman and probably won't since the BnM's have done so good for me. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a slow troller, so I can't tell you from personal experience, but I can pass along the info I've gotten directly from anglers who use them and Steve Coleman himself. The PST was designed to be a trolling pole that can handle up to 5ozs. of weight and many trollers say they handle a deep diving Bandit 300 crankbait easily. The CandC is a little softer overall. The pole will give to the action of rough water and keep your bait more steady instead of bouncing it. Both have fast tips and like has already been said, the PST has more backbone whereas the CandC loads up more evenly overall. One feature the CandC has that the PST doesn't is the butt of the handle is bell-shaped. This allows you to make elevation adjustments when in the rodholders without moving the rodholder itself.

I'm glad to see you are looking at trolling poles for trolling and not just going with jig poles for trolling. You'll be glad you did and won't break as many. The right tool for the job.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered 2 of each and will see which one I like better and order more.

Post Thanks / Like

For slow trolling 1/4oz-2oz weights I prefer the Capps and Coleman 14ft because they are more flexible, help me see the light bite, ride better in rough water, and reduces pulling hooks out of big fish. The 14ft CCT has 10 eyes vs 15 eyes on Pro Staff Trolling which makes the pole more limber. I use the Pro Staff for pulling cranks and pushing corks, the PST is stiffer and has more backbone. Match the pole to your technique and you cannot go wrong either way.