PDA

View Full Version : crappie cranks?

tear-em-up
01-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Has anyone ever used the Wally Marshall crappie cranks, did they run straight and catch fish?

paw paw perch
01-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Yes Yes and Yes white, pink, black best colors in that order

Slabo
01-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Yes Yes and Yes white, pink, black best colors in that order

+1 will agree on both counts !

beagle man
01-29-2010, 08:21 AM
almost agree, except pink (bubblegum) first up here then black/pink then white. the yes to the rest

rnvinc
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Has anyone ever used the Wally Marshall crappie cranks, did they run straight and catch fish?

Anyone know where to get them cheaper that BPS...??

chaunc
01-29-2010, 10:06 AM
The pike up here wont let me catch a crappie with them.:mad: Lost all 4 pink that i had last spring. If i use them again, i'm puttin a steel leader on with them.:eek:

feelay
01-29-2010, 10:14 AM
they work good the "ole miss" color is a good one as well.

gatoloco
01-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I use them alot here and work good but I have Bandits and they do just as good an have more of a color selection and cheaper.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
ditto gatoloco.....i buy bandits...cheaper,more colors and i can pick the depth range

siscokid
01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
We use 'em all the time.They work great for us. They really work good trolling! Pink is the best around here. If you can wait til the end of February the Fishin Classic will be on and they'll be on sale.

tear-em-up
01-29-2010, 06:28 PM
They were 3.99 in the BPS catalog I just got , I thought the bandits were more. Would like to try some of the shallow running ones we fish in alot of 5 to 8 ft. of water. Only problem I may have is that we have alot of Chain Pickeral around here that may bite them off like the guy from PA. said about the pike up his way. Gonna try em anyhow try to catch some bigger ones,do you guys seem to catch bigger crappie on them?

beyondthebuoys
01-29-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.****************/photo/nov5fantasticdaycbc-1?context=user

This Bomber 4F 1/4 oz. Brown Crawdad pattern was my favorite Crappie Crankbait last year but would like to scale down for greater numbers .I have a bone colored 1`?8 th oz Bill Norman but didnt catch any on it last year.
Would like to compile a Crappie Crankbait box of 1/4 ,1/8 and lighter cranks taht exist.

Ol JohnnyBoy
02-05-2010, 01:55 PM
great minds must think alike. i want to start using cranks as well for crappie. haven't seen any smaller bandits though

jeepguyjames
02-05-2010, 05:06 PM
TEAR-EM-UP we have caught some real nice ones trolling crank baits, our 2 biggest of the year came on bandits, both at the same time out, on a lake we had never fished before at that point....we have been back a few times since :D
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/jeepguyjames/SU1HMDAxMDcuanBn-2.jpg

we use both the bandits, and the wallys, I have more confidence in the bandits, honsetly probably cause i have used em just a little longer, but they both seem to produce when the crankbait bite is on

OL JOHNNYBOY dont let the size of the bandits make you shy away from em, they will produce when the time is right, we catch crappie of all sizes on em, we caught these in aug on a hot nasty day pulling bandits, we stopped counting at 100 fish that day and we pitched most of em back, but heres what we kept
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/jeepguyjames/IMG00275-1.jpg

fultondalecrappie
02-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Would it be better to use the outboard with a trolling plate or the trolling motor for pulling cranks?

tear-em-up
02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Thats a nice catch I'm going to try some when it warms up, or do you ever catch em on them in colder water on the cranks? I would think it would be to fast for winter crappie. We have alot of shallow water here do you do good on the shallow running ones, how about a color preferance? We have had awefull weather here lately snowing now and more tomorrow along with gale force winds 25-40mph we usually fish every weekend in the winter but this past few weeks here has been terrible weather,wind ice,snow. can't wait for better weather.

majflyboy
02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Go to the MS board & check out "Pulling Cranks 101", some BS post but lots of very good info. I posted the origional and still go back and re-read often.

AtticaFish
02-05-2010, 09:32 PM
My answer might be a little different because I troll a bit different, usually paddeling my kayak, and pretty much over large/deep open water areas. I spend the xtra $$$ and get suspending baits - Jointed Shad Raps & Husky Jerks mostly - I don't lose many in the wide open areas. I can't tell you how many fish I have caught when I stop paddeling to reel in a fish on 1 line and the other pole doubles over. The suspending cranks stay down in the strike zone, and I have adapted a stop and go method that works pretty well. I fish them mostly post-spawn till about mid-summer.

fultondalecrappie
02-05-2010, 10:58 PM
You are right lots of good info.

jeepguyjames
02-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Thats a nice catch I'm going to try some when it warms up, or do you ever catch em on them in colder water on the cranks? I would think it would be to fast for winter crappie. We have alot of shallow water here do you do good on the shallow running ones, how about a color preferance? We have had awefull weather here lately snowing now and more tomorrow along with gale force winds 25-40mph we usually fish every weekend in the winter but this past few weeks here has been terrible weather,wind ice,snow. can't wait for better weather.

the fish in the pics i posted all came between 8 and 15 foot of water in a farily shallow lake on the bandit 100 (shallow),and bandit 200 (med). we troll in the summer, june,july,aug are our best months for it. never tried it in cold conditions, but i bet your right, not sure though. my fav colors are green black tiger pattern (#20 on link) pearl/black back (#03 on link) spring craw (#26 on link) white chart stripe (#97 on link) and red crawfish type pattern (#38 on link). Its kinda funny here in Ohio people look at us like we are crazy trolling crankbaits for crappie, no one does it here, but it has worked out well for us in the summer months. hope the weather gets right for you soon, we are waiting for the hard water to go away here, have a good one, God bless.

color chart Bass Pro Shops Outdoors Online: Offering the best in Fishing, Hunting and Outdoor Products (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SceneSevenDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10151&langId=-1&section=Home&productId=-31580&productPartNumber=31580&scene7Path=BassPro%2f82675-colors%3flayer%3dcomp%26wid%3d500%26hei%3d500%26fm t%3djpeg%26qlt%3d100%2c0%26op_sharpen%3d0%26resMod e%3dtrilin%26op_usm%3d0.5%2c1.0%2c0.0%2c0%26iccEmb ed%3d0&sourceName=images2%2f82500%2f82675-colors.jpg&type=0&linkEnabled=false)

jeepguyjames
02-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Would it be better to use the outboard with a trolling plate or the trolling motor for pulling cranks?

I use the trolling motor only because it gives me a better range of slower speeds, im gonna try pulling a bucket with holes drilled in it to slow my gas motor down enough this year and see how that goes, my gas motor goes a little to fast at its slowest. I also have a drift sock i can try, will find out this summer, i want to pull w/my gas motor cause my better depth finder w/gps is mounted on the back of the boat by the gas motor. I saw an episode of mid-west crappie where they were long lining cranks using a gas motor, I dont think it really matters, just as long as your speed is correct.

tear-em-up
02-08-2010, 07:53 PM
You think they would work ok in 6 to 7ft. of water?

jeepguyjames
02-08-2010, 11:51 PM
You think they would work ok in 6 to 7ft. of water?

Honestly never pulled em in that shallow of water. I have pulled em over humps and points that came up to 6 or 7 feet but never a constant depth of 7 foot or less. If I were gonna try it in water that shallow I would use the 100 series bandit and pull em slow to keep em up off the bottom, or maybe pull some tube jigs or roadrunners. Keep in mind also the amount of line out behind the boat can have a affect on how deep a crank bait runs. Sorry that's about the best answer I have, hope it kinda helped. Have a good one and God bless.

tear-em-up
02-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info, I guess I would have to keep them close to the boat. Most of the water here on the peninsula that we can catch crappie in is 6-8 ft . in the deepest part. Some of our tidal rivers that we catch crappie in have deeper water but we ussually catch them in that deep water in the winter only. Most of our spots are old grist mill ponds that range from 25 to 100 acres and the upper reaches of tidal rivers, on the western side of the Chesapeake bay the ground is more hilly and they have some deeper lakes.