PDA

View Full Version : Rod Holders

CrappieKillerJigs
01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
i know there is alot of threads on this but mine is a lil diff...i just got a new 2072 and the last thing i want to do is drill holes in it for rod holders/ t-bars...everyone keeps telling me to use the ones that slide over your cleats...they wont work on my boat due to the fact i dont have cleats and i the low profile tie offs...i seen the drift master crows foot and really like how the seat post holds it in but im not paying $350 for some rod holders while i live in IL and we have a 2 pole limit here...but i do go out of state alot and was thinking i could buy a drift master or tite-lok system and make it into a crows foot myself and i could use it in the front for spider riggin or in the back for long lining...my thing is what set up is better the Driftmaster looks good but not that much adjustment in it...where the Tite-Lok black widow Ultra has a ton....

Cane Pole
01-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Drill holes in the right place and the boat want sink. Honest.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
i just dont want the base for them on my deck for somthing else to trip over since i wont be using them much...if it was going to be a item i would use alot i would drill and mount them...

"G"
01-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I just installed four sets of four rod holder T bar systems in my boat today....I went with the Hi Tek rod holders. Check them out Home (http://www.hitekstuff.com)

callshy
01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
I just installed four sets of four rod holder T bar systems in my boat today....I went with the Hi Tek rod holders. Check them out Home (http://www.hitekstuff.com)

The base palte is only 3/8" thick. If you have carpet, then it buries in the carpet and only sticks up about 1/8". If you still do not want to drill holes but like the holders, give me a call. I can probably (or will try) custom build something to keep you from having to drill holes. A photo of the area you would like the holders to be would be great.

"G"
01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Have a look.

crappieseeker
01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
I thought I saw on a post in the past where someone had built a home made rod holder system that went around the seat pedestal made out of pvc pipe it seems like. It looked to be a pretty nice set up I just cant remember who posted it. It could be easily removed just by sliding it off the seat pole.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
i like the hi teks but i need this in like 3weeks max...leaving for weiss and thats where i really need it...im still set on drilling no holes....this is what im think...take the hi teks and mount them on some 4in wide by 1/4 think by 3ft long alum. with them at one end and a 3/4in hole in the other for the seat post to go thru to hold the whole system in place

CrappieKillerJigs
01-28-2010, 11:02 PM
this is what i have came up with and i think it will work pretty darn good for what i want...this is going to go between my seat post and seat.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-28-2010, 11:03 PM
sorry for such a big pic...forgot to scale it down

abarkley
01-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Spider-Rigs (http://www.driftmaster.com/Spider-Rigs.html)

Check out the T-250 setup. It requires no drilling, but you have to pay to play. I think this set up costs around $315. My HiTeks mount with 8 screws so that's about $39.38 a hole if my calculations are correct.

skeetbum
01-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Killer, I think if you'd be best to mount them, the Tite-loks, to a piece of aluminum and cut down on the amount of holes to be drilled. The tite loks are the best I've seen and the mounting plates are small. I have some different ones made of stainless that aren't as friendly as t/l and have a base that is round and sticks up about as high. When they aren't in use they aren't in the way, low enough to be a non issue. I have had a notion to sell mine and buy some of callshy's but I live for the thump, which is lost in a rod holder. Good luck with your dilemma. I did the homework a while back and couldn't beat the reports I got on scott's product.

haus
01-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Making something that mounts to the seat post doesn't seem like that big of a deal. All you need is some pipe that just fits over the post. Drill a hole in the pipe, weld a nut over the hole, and then you add the bolt. Tighten the bolt to hold the pipe in place. Now just build the holder off of this pipe however you want to set it up. Couple of hours in the shop and your ready to fish. My local steel shop has a scrap bin where you could likely grab all the pieces you need for $3 and then make the PVC holders for another $4. If you don't have a welder, drill, chop saw, etc... then you may just need to pay someone. Won't be as light as the aluminum jobs, but for $10 can you really complain. You gotta catch a lot of fish to pay for $300 worth of holders.

cub48
01-29-2010, 07:22 AM
I'll add my 2 cents worth. Go and find you some flat aluminum lowes or tractor supply the width of the mount or wider drill a hole the size of the seat post end that goes into the boat. mount the bracket on the other. Put seat post in place thru the hole. Carpet should hold flat metal in place. You can move your holder in any position with only some adjustment. My problem with rod holders is getting the rod out with a fish on. The ones I have, has got round holes and you have to pull the rod straight out to get the rod out. Scotts setup looks very good in the pictures and would be easy to get the rods out. Cub

PS Flat steel would work it may rust on the carpet.

callshy
01-29-2010, 09:11 AM
sorry for such a big pic...forgot to scale it down

How far out would you need your holders from the seat (centerline of seat)? Tell me this and I can let you know what it would cost for what you are needing. 3 weeks should be no problem at all plus I do not live extremely far from Weiss Lake and will be at Weiss in 3 weeks myself. If you want just a very temporary mount, the cheapest way would be to buy a wodden 2x10 and drill a hole for the seat pedastal and then just mount the bases to the 2x10. It would stick up higher than steel or aluminum but it will work because I have seen it on a boat before. You want the hole to be a tight fit for the pedestal though.

wilbur
01-29-2010, 09:38 AM
How are u going to keep it from spinning on post. You need to weld a collar on the3/4 in. hole and put two set screws in it to lock to seat post.

rocket rich
01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Time For You To Go Back To Work /// No More Nooner Trips To The Shoe Lake

callshy
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
How are u going to keep it from spinning on post. You need to weld a collar on the3/4 in. hole and put two set screws in it to lock to seat post.

There are a couple different ways this can be done. If you use a flat plate you can either weld on a collar to slide over the pedestal and long with set screws or mill an area in the center and drill a 3/4" hole so that only the pin goes through the plate but the pedestal post does not. When you tighten the post down, it will hold the plate down against the boat. This could be done with the wood as well. If using the wood, you could run set scres in through the side of the wood and not have to have a collar. I always try to keepfrom welding on flat plate because there will almost always be some warping in flat plate.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
this is my plan...my drop in and post are 3/4in pin with screw lock...so once the post is in and with a few twist they dont turn...i plan on using alum. angle iron...i will put a 3/4in hole in it for the seat to go thru and drill and tap for the driftmaster holders to screw into....this will be between my seat and post and it will be pop riveted to the post...i will be able to spin my chair but the holder wont move....scott i wanna meet up with you and see your setup and maybe we can do some type of setup of my boat...this is just for short term use

callshy
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
this is my plan...my drop in and post are 3/4in pin with screw lock...so once the post is in and with a few twist they dont turn...i plan on using alum. angle iron...i will put a 3/4in hole in it for the seat to go thru and drill and tap for the driftmaster holders to screw into....this will be between my seat and post and it will be pop riveted to the post...i will be able to spin my chair but the holder wont move....scott i wanna meet up with you and see your setup and maybe we can do some type of setup of my boat...this is just for short term use

Just give me a call and let me know when you are going to be down this way (256-616-9934).

Herewego
01-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I used 3/8" x 3" aluminum flat bar, drill 1 1/2" hole for pedistal post and have a set screw to lock it in place. Drilled holes for flat head bolts for 2 pieces to attach main cross piece and mounted Hi teks to those plates. I have extra set of holes for moving plates back 4 inches when I am long lining. I would take and post pic but have covered boat up until spring.
I have a saltwater type CC bay boat/ no carpet and did not want to drill holes up front.

callshy
01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I used 3/8" x 3" aluminum flat bar, drill 1 1/2" hole for pedistal post and have a set screw to lock it in place. Drilled holes for flat head bolts for 2 pieces to attach main cross piece and mounted Hi teks to those plates. I have extra set of holes for moving plates back 4 inches when I am long lining. I would take and post pic but have covered boat up until spring.
I have a saltwater type CC bay boat/ no carpet and did not want to drill holes up front.

How long is your flat bar and is it pretty stable? I have some 3/8" x 3" at home I guess I can experiment with. I may try using a long piece of the female dovetail. This way the holder post could slide as close or as far away as you wanted it.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
i will get down there 2-26 and be leaving after weight ins for the 8hr drive back home...just coming down for CM's

Herewego
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Scott, it is stable with 3" wide. cross piece is 54" wide and rod holder legs are 36" long overall. Notice the flat head bolts with wingnut on top. I placed a couple outdoor mats down also.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o153/Kodak_018/rodholder501.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o153/Kodak_018/rodholder502.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o153/Kodak_018/rodholder503.jpg

cub48
01-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Hi Scott Echols I saw where you are from Eva. I have been to the Frontier Days there to show my tractor. One of the best around. It's good to see a product made in Alabama that people are talking about with an A+ in craftmanship. Made in the USA. When is the crappie tournament at weiss may want to check it out. As I live in Dekalb County Thanks Cub48

CrappieKillerJigs
01-29-2010, 11:58 PM
cub- here is the link Crappiemasters (http://www.crappiemasters.com) feb-27

herewego- how much did that cost you to make and how much time do you you have in it?

Herewego
01-30-2010, 08:12 AM
cub- here is the link Crappiemasters (http://www.crappiemasters.com) feb-27

herewego- how much did that cost you to make and how much time do you you have in it?

The 10 foot bar of aluminum cost $90, I have a drill press and used ricipotating saw to cut off and hole saw for 1 1/2 inch hole. time about 3 hours.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-30-2010, 11:28 AM
i really like that...run some weather stripping along the bottom to keep it from rubbin the paint off my floor and ill be in that and ready to go

callshy
01-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Scott Echols I saw where you are from Eva. I have been to the Frontier Days there to show my tractor. One of the best around. It's good to see a product made in Alabama that people are talking about with an A+ in craftmanship. Made in the USA. When is the crappie tournament at weiss may want to check it out. As I live in Dekalb County Thanks Cub48

Untitled Document (http://www.crappiemasters.net) Feb. 27
Crappie USA :: America's Premier National Crappie Fishing Tournament Organization (http://www.crappieusa.com) March 6
www.superslabseries March 13

mwrowan
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
i know there is alot of threads on this but mine is a lil diff...i just got a new 2072 and the last thing i want to do is drill holes in it for rod holders/ t-bars...everyone keeps telling me to use the ones that slide over your cleats...they wont work on my boat due to the fact i dont have cleats and i the low profile tie offs...i seen the drift master crows foot and really like how the seat post holds it in but im not paying $350 for some rod holders while i live in IL and we have a 2 pole limit here...but i do go out of state alot and was thinking i could buy a drift master or tite-lok system and make it into a crows foot myself and i could use it in the front for spider riggin or in the back for long lining...my thing is what set up is better the Driftmaster looks good but not that much adjustment in it...where the Tite-Lok black widow Ultra has a ton....

Use a V-Lock (http://www.v-lock.com) and you can move, remove, replace whatever you want.

majflyboy
02-17-2010, 06:22 PM
A friend of mine makes these in MS. Can get 2,3,or 4 rod holders. No stob sticking up if you want to remove them.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/mississippi-crappie-fishing/120968-e-z-poleholder-update.html?highlight=e-z+poleholder+update

MP me if you want contact info.

Crappie Buster
02-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Hey Crappie Killer,

I posted a while back about some homemade rod holders I built to use on a buddies boat cause he didn't want to drill holes. I made the entire thing out of PVC pipe for about $25 dollars per setup....$50 for front and back setups. They aren't the prettiest things and they aren't always the steadiest, but I promise that work pretty dang good for the cost and that was real important to me at the time....

If your not planning on using them that often and just want to see how you like fishing with rod holders it might be an idea to get you started before you put a bunch of money into a nice set up like a seen in a couple posts back. My setup can be modified to make it sturdier, but like I said he does good enough for us. I'll try to dig up the old post of it with some pictures for you.

CB

Crappie Buster
02-18-2010, 06:09 PM
This is the first link....

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/92538-finish-product-economic-rod-holders.html

The pictures are show the setup up with a lean-to pedestal, but the way we use it now is with a regular seat pedestal with the seat on top. The rod holders set right in front of you like any other set-up....One way we found to sturdy it up was to put bungy cords off of each end and fasten them to the boat somewhere. This puts some tension on the T-bar and stiffens it up a good bit.....If you are interested in trying it send me a PM and I can tell you sizes and lengths that I used!