Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin area crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Austin area crappie

Been out a few times this month.

Lake Granger was dead 10/5, put in half a day fishing the mouths of channels in 26'-18' water = nothing. Water very dirty.

Went to Walter E Long on 10/24 pulled 2-15" Crappie from the mouth of a channel, maybe would have caught more if I wasn't catching Stripper left and right. Stripper are good on this lake . My ultra lights where freakin out. Caugth and threw back 20 fish in 60 min 18-22"

Been thinking that with the temperature changes that maybe the Crappie are deeper. I have not gone deeper than 30'. Are they deeper?

My next trip is Lake Travis. Bigger Lake. Never been out there before. Dose anyone know where the Crappie are at on Travis?
    [/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

WOW thats big writing. Sorry ha. I thought 7 was small.

Post Thanks / Like

Man CT had to read that with one eye closed so I wouldn't go blind! :D

I live just up the road from you in Killeen. right now about all I've been able to catch is small crappie and white bass at Belton. and Largemouth/Smallmouth too. I'm waiting for the water temp to drop a little. I guess they will get into their more familiar pattern below 60 degrees. Friday night the water at Belton was 63.5 still. Hopefully with the wind and cooler temps this week, it's down some.

How do you fish? Troll, cast, vetical, minnows????? I'm close enough that we could get together one weekend and try to figure them out together. Also, if you are not already there, go to www.texasfishingforum.com Lots of great info there for all species of fish in TX. Shoot me an email [email protected]
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Duhhhhhhhh...Normal size words

I have been fishing with minnows, yellow jig with spinner for crappie. If I could find them it would be great to mess around with the 200 crappie jigs I have. I need to find or make a brush pile. I have caught many slabs off yellow feather jigs around marina slips, but not too much on the big water. I am new to the area, used to fish lake lewisville and ray roberts in north central texas. I have also moved from bank fishing to BOAT FISHING ( yeahhhhhh Hurah !! congrats to me, my first boat after 10 long year or bank and marina fishing) When I get a feel for one of these lakes and can find some spots where I know the fish are at , I will mostly fish jigs. Been out maybe 12 times in the last 2 months to 3 different lakes and have only caught 2-15" Crappie. Which I am Ok with..ha. They were nice looking Black Crappie which was on thanksgiving Day, not 10/24.

Maybe I will collect up christmas trees this year and take a few out each time I go. Make a nice Crappie Town somewhere. I an not sure what I am seeing on my depth finder when it comes to brush piles. Been looking around 20' for them and found none. Any hints?

Post Thanks / Like

I found a few on sunday. Have not located any brush piles yet, but found a 16' deep ridge between 22' and 36' deep water in the mouth of a cove. Caught 3 crappie on minners and 2 bass on small spinner bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Any people fish around Austin. Speek up.. Is this site just a guide service?

Post Thanks / Like

Default centex fisherman

I'm no guide, but I have been fishing in Central Texas for many years. If you're wanting specific information on Central Texas lakes, I may be able to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Been having some luck latley with the fish. Located some nice largemouth bass spots on Lake Austin and Decker Lake. Just getting back into crappie fishing this weekend. I fished on the lower Colorado River near Weberville 3 weeks ago...It was a cool place to fish. 1-5 lb bass with shallow dive crankbait in 4' water. 2 small one. The river is very shallow 2-4' most of the way when you find the deeper spots around 20-40' there are a lot of fish... maybe crappie????? The enviorment of that part of the river is awsome. Very large trees fallen in the water everywhere ... endless brush piles. Realy a neat place.

Craptologist do you fish the Blanco River? Coworker tells me there are some nice fish out there.

Post Thanks / Like

2-4-2006

decker lake

moved up and down the rocks with minnow and jigs 6 hours, no crappie
    fished form 12'-30' caught 2 stripped bass

Post Thanks / Like

I have been fishing Georgetown at night with some other anglers. This past weekend was the slowest in a few weeks. Caught a lot of small crappies and kept 5 for the skillet. A few weeks ago, caught my personal best of 21 keepers and double that in throw back.

I am looking forward to fishing Granger but I won't until the winds die down. At this rate, it looks like I will be fishing Granger during the summer pattern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast