Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Does anybody do gigging

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anybody do gigging

For flounder, etc.

If so what is the best color light do you use to spot them?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Scroll on down the screen and post in the Salt Water Fishing forum......I would think you would get more answers there than here in the Crappie forum. Most of the folks on the Mississippi gulf coast that I see doing this just use a Coleman gas lantern.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

awaaaa flounder, shoot I opened this hoping you were talking frogs.

As for flounder in Louisiana I have used white quartz and green LED (Aurora).
    Green is easier on my eyes, but the white shows shadows of outlines of the fish better in my opinion. My green Aurora puts out more distance light, but the best part is that because it is LED I can run it off of a 12v belt battery, and not be restricted to staying in the boat. I'll put up with the glare of the white light when in the boat, but being able to wade with the LED eliminates having to consider boat control and when I'm in an area that is productive, work it much more thoroughly. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, Ray's are bad news. Don't ask me how I know.

boatstall
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

No, but you ought to see me Foxtrot. Poetry in motion I tell ya.

Wannabe...

Doh see doh me G-3
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boatstall View Post
    awaaaa flounder, shoot I opened this hoping you were talking frogs.
    As for flounder in Louisiana I have used white quartz and green LED (Aurora).
    Green is easier on my eyes, but the white shows shadows of outlines of the fish better in my opinion. My green Aurora puts out more distance light, but the best part is that because it is LED I can run it off of a 12v belt battery, and not be restricted to staying in the boat. I'll put up with the glare of the white light when in the boat, but being able to wade with the LED eliminates having to consider boat control and when I'm in an area that is productive, work it much more thoroughly. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, Ray's are bad news. Don't ask me how I know.

boatstall
    Use to frog gig but now if you are walking down a creek shining a light someone will think you are up to no-good and shoot you!!! We had a lot of fun and would save all the legs until around Sept and have a big cook out. OH YEAH !!!!!!:D:D
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I use to live near Corpus and we would use a Coleman Lantern (actually 2). We rigged up a wood holder on the front of the boat that was on a slant so the side of the lantern would shine down and had a shield on the back side. This was rigged on the front of a aluminum boat where we could stand in the front and use a pole to move along. Every year they have a big flounder run.

If you cut some 105 siding right and make two pieces into a V, the lantern edge would slid right in that and hold well.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!