PDA

View Full Version : Trolling

XMAN
11-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Is this method used only at certain times or quite often?

Barnacle Bill
11-28-2005, 11:36 PM

I think it depends on the individual and where the fish are at the time and whether they want a moving bait at the time.

sac-a-lait
11-29-2005, 01:29 AM
I would NEVER troll during the spawn...I hate trolling. i like to drop the jig straigt to them.

dwightparks
11-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Trolling can be used anytime but is real productive in the spring and fall. You can cover a lot more water and locate fish espically if yoy don't get to spend a lot of time on the water. Once you learn the seasonal patterns of crappie you can use this system over and over. The most important thing I learned in trolling is having your boat set up right to troll several different methods

unknown 5
11-29-2005, 10:51 AM
When they are spawning in the Spring or when they are up close to the bank like they are now in my area, trolling is not near as good as other methods. But, a lot of the time, it can be the best method to find schools of crappie in deeper water. I troll a lot in the summer and it has proved to be very effective for me.

Sparkletail
11-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Trolling works best for me when the Crappie finish the spawn and move out into the channels. You can catch them suspended there until water temps start to heat up and they go deep. That is when I would change over to a drift rig of your choice. Good luck to you!

XMAN
11-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Trolling can be used anytime but is real productive in the spring and fall. You can cover a lot more water and locate fish espically if yoy don't get to spend a lot of time on the water. Once you learn the seasonal patterns of crappie you can use this system over and over. The most important thing I learned in trolling is having your boat set up right to troll several different methods

What do you mean by setting your boat up different?

speck chaser
11-29-2005, 01:37 PM
By far the best time to troll on the lakes i fish here in east tenn is from the time the water temp reaches 50 degrees mid to late march until they move in on the nest. start fishing at the mouth of the creeks and follow them back as the water warms.

dwightparks
11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
The two most important things to me are quality rod holders and a variable speed trolling motor. I use titelok rod holders because they can be adjusted with no tools. Also variable speed is the most important thing for me in trolling as a lot of the old motors on the lowest settings are still to fast. There are several rod holders on the market that will work Go to www.titelok.com. Also Driftmaster makes a good looking holder. There was a post that showed some from www.crappieunlimited.com that were all stainless steel. I have seen these and they are very nice. Hope this helps. GOOD FISHIN

Gentleben
11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
I troll most the time,:) but the best time is before the spawn and after the spawn, as they move in and out of the spawning area..I push a home made spider rig which works well tandem and triple rigged.
GB;)

abarkley
11-30-2005, 08:42 PM

all year long. it allows you to present a lot of baits over a large area of water. you eliminate water at the same time. i use it during the spawn as well. you will still catch fish holding back off the nests. lots of times it's the larger fish too.

XMAN
11-30-2005, 09:49 PM
So are you fishing straight down or do you let out alot of line?

dwightparks
11-30-2005, 10:22 PM
When fishing live bait it is pretty much a vertical presentation. When fishing in the spring using jigs you have out a lot more line with jigs running behind the boat. you are looking for staging fish ready to move up and spawn

speck chaser
12-01-2005, 06:54 AM
Ben would you share how you rig your homade spider rigs?

Gentleben
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Yaeh Speck no problem , I take some BlakeMore RedHorsehead jigheads and Mister Twister Curly tailed grubs selected a variety of tubes, different colors. Black and chartrues are my favorite colors.I will tie two or three jigs on 3-4" staging and space them about 24" apart. I ususally use 11ft B&M Little Jewel crappie poles , i tie off about 12ft of 6-8# line and start rigging .The troll is a very very slow troll so i usually will take a radio or jambox with me to keep me awake:)
i will hit the channels or hiways whatever they be called in your area, :confused: this are the creeks what run the deepest coming into spawning grounds or shallow coves.
I use an eagle 320 on my trollin motor to keep me on the channels, at present am workin on an outrigger what will take my trancducer out to where the baits will be running this hopefully will warn me just before i get to the school where I normally will hook up a few crappie. I use as many as 8 poles sometimes only 4 depending on how busy they make me :cool:
Sometimes, if you run over a brushpile and you will ,you may pick up 3 or 4 crappie at one time and one of them will wrap you up bad:eek: I will usually carry spare riggings already made up and just change the line out or retire the pole and replace it with a spared what has previously been rigged.
There are some pics of my PoorBoy slow troll in the Texas Crappie section so i will not load up the webmaster system with more pics.
Hope you can use the info. Since I started trollin I don't fish the crowded spawn times.
GB

SteveJ
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Back when I was fishing with a crappie club one of the members had just what you are talking about. If I remember right it was an alum. pole stuck streight out in front about ten foot. Have you tried pointing your troll motor transducer forward? I tilt mine forward a few degrees to help me follow the creeks but I'm tightlining not trolling.

Gentleben
12-01-2005, 02:30 PM
No Steve but next time out I will try it.
Makes sense though!!:confused:

speck chaser
12-01-2005, 02:35 PM
thanks ben for the info what # test is your main line?

Gentleben
12-01-2005, 06:08 PM
6-8# test for mainline ;)