HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float-n-Fly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Float-n-Fly

I'm not familiar with this term. What is the rigging and technique? Thanks
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

As I've heard it used out west, it is basically using a bobber with a dry fly. I suppose it's also used with a nymph pattern or other "wet" fly too. It's not unlike what Crappie fishermen are doing with a small jig under a bobber.

If there's another meaning, I'd like to know it.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken, then term "float n fly" originated in Tenn. apparantly they use this rig for big winter smallies, I think on Pickwick. It is basically like slabattical says it is. A small jig under a floating bobber. They usually throw this on a fly rod with a spinning reel on it. For crappie, the rig is basically identical. somewhere on this board is a good float n fly rod by B&M http://www.bnmpoles.com/ffcs.html
    Scott

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Fin ....

here's all you ever wanted to know about the Float-n-fly -
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

But, seriously though ... it is simply using a jig & float :rolleyes: It's been refined and tweaked for various species of fish. It's a casting technique, that generally requires a long flexible rod, spinning reel, bobber/float, and a jig ... which is retrieved slowly, and sometimes erratically (in short jerks with pauses between jerks). ........... luck2ya ......cp

And, as Smedley has mentioned, BnM has a 7ft 11in one (Duckworth signature model) that is available to Crappie.com members at a reduced price. It sells to the general public for $52 (+s/h) ... but, Crappie.com members can purchase this rod for $35 (+s/h). All you need to do is to contact Jack Wells at BnM, tell him your Crappie.com member "name" (board name) and you get the reduced price. This "special pricing" is good till the end of the year. Contact Ph # is 1-800-647-6363
    I've "field tested" this rod for BnM, and have two of them (prototype & finished product) ... contact me by PM, if you have any questions or concerns about this rod. .............. cp

Post Thanks / Like

The articles said this technique was developed "or something like that" about 5 or 6 years ago. This style of fishing goes alot further back than that. There are several different versions of pretty much the same thing. People have fished a jig under a floater for years and years. I have done it ever since I was about 10, that was 21 years ago, and people were doing it way before then. I never used a 10 foot rod, but it was still a jig under a float. I use to have alot of success on this technique fishing the Tennessee River where they pumped the backwaters out after duck season. I also had success in ponds using this technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. there is another reason I am not familiar with this technique besides the fact I haven't crappie fished much in many years, but that technique is not used locally because of water depth 4'. just a bare string with a jig or minnow is the commonplace

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=smedley]If I'm not mistaken, then term "float n fly" originated in Tenn. apparantly they use this rig for big winter smallies, I think on Pickwick. -------------------------------------------- You are correct the term was coined by smallmouth bass fishermen in Northeast Tenn.. In general a hand tied fly is fished 8 or 10 ft. deep under a float in the winter months on extremely clear lakes. Many of the first articles referenced a particular jig. The link to that jig and some information on the system is here: http://www.punisherjigs.com/html/f_f...ng_methoid.htm

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey FIN ....

if I was faced with those water depths, I'd have me a 1/32oz-1/16oz Roadrunner tied on ... at all times :D And it would probably be a solid Chartreuse color, with the marabou hair. (and I trim off about half the length of the hair - from the hook bend to the end of the hair, as it comes from the package). I'd be throwing it on 8lb mono, or 10/2 PowerPro braid, and retrieving it at a moderate speed (fast enough to make the blade spin). I've had more Crappie come right up to the top of the water, and even right next to the boat, when using a Roadrunner.
    If they wanted a slower speed than you can manage with a Roadrunner - my second best pick would probably be a small Beetle Spin. You can retrieve them a bit slower than you can a Roadrunner, and the blade will still spin.
    I might even go to a 1/64oz jig, a foot or two under a "fly bobber" (one of those tiny plastic bobbers, no bigger around than your finger tip). That tiny bobber offers little to no resistance to the fish, & helps cast the really light jigs. ............. luck2ya .......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up "Seeker" ...

you've got a valid point. The "method" is very old, it's the "names" that are in dispute. Float-n-Fly, Float'n Fly, Float and Fly, Floating Fly, Float/Fly, or whatever ... have been taken as the names of the variations on the same theme Trout anglers have been using this method for many years, Crappie anglers have been using their version for decades, and Bass anglers have incorporated their version into the mix ... all calling it similar names. But, they're all just variations of a simple method .... jig/bobber fishing!

I've used jigs, to catch Crappie, since the 60's ..... and I'm sure a jig under a bobber/cork/float was used well before that. ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thats right crappiepappy, definately a technique thats been around since the beginning of fishing probably. I'm sure they probably had some other terms they called it back then. Something like "squirrel hair under a stick"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast