PDA

View Full Version : Handline fishing

funbun
01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Anyone here do any handline fishing for crappie of any other fish? I'm trying to simplify.

crappiejohn
01-27-2010, 09:32 AM
nope but i stand naked over a stream and swat them with my paw like a bear does salmon

funbun
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm just wondering because most people around the world who actually have to fish to feed their families everyday, don't use rods and reels. For them it isn't a sport.

Check this guy out. Mentawai Island Fishing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQNPa6d8VE). He's fishing in deep water, and I see no reason why this wouldn't work especially well while nightstalking under the lights.

GCD
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
This is the 21st century dude!:rolleyes:

Tie one end of your handline to a cane pole and put a hook on the other end!

GCD
01-27-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm just wondering because most people around the world who actually have to fish to feed their families everyday, don't use rods and reels. For them it isn't a sport.

Check this guy out. Mentawai Island Fishing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQNPa6d8VE). He's fishing in deep water, and I see no reason why this wouldn't work especially well while nightstalking under the lights.

Go down to Miami Fl. and you'll see lot's of folks using these.

Cuban Yo-Yo (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_7972_151005000_151000000_151005000_151-5-0)

Pegleg
01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
That native guy is usein a "Cuban Yo-Yo". They sell em at Wal-Mart here in Fla. I use one to roll up my bridge gaff on.

deathb4disco
01-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Take up noodling. You don't even need a line for that.

crappiejohn
01-27-2010, 10:02 AM
just get you a coke bottle some 20 lb test and a sparkplug for a weight

crappiejohn
01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
hey funbun trust me if those guys could afford a rod and reel, a nice boat , and an ouboard they wouldnt be handlining.

funbun
01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
This is the 21st century dude!:rolleyes:

Tie one end of your handline to a cane pole and put a hook on the other end!

Sounds like fly-fishing which is almost as old as handline fishing.

hey funbun trust me if those guys could afford a rod and reel, a nice boat , and an ouboard they wouldnt be handlining.

Well, if they could afford a nice boat, an outboard, and rods and reels, they probably wouldn't be fishing to feed their families either. They'd probably be fishing for sport, tournaments and all.

feelay
01-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Immigrants from the south, handline in the spillways here, using a 20 oz. coke bottle for a reel. Haven't seen them catch anything other than drum though. Drum must be good on tacos, they always get excited.

funbun
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Drums are awesome. I remember catching those down at Miller's Ferry Spillway down near Camden, Alabama. It's like catching a freshwater redfish.

deathb4disco
01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Anyone here do any handline fishing for crappie of any other fish? I'm trying to simplify.

I'm all for simplicity, but why handlining, of all things?
:confused::confused:

funbun
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Again, I'm not fishing for sport anymore. I'm fishing for food. I plan to build a simple jon boat, use my dads old trolling motor and a paddle, a friend gave me a depth finder, and I bought some Aquastar submersible lights about a couple years back that I never used because I was too busy fly-fishing for sport.

It takes up less space in the boat. There are no moving parts, and you can cast about as far as any rod will throw.

I took a piece of 2 in. dia. PVC pipe and wrapped about a 100 yards of 6 lbs test mono around it.

Wannabe...
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Immigrants from the south, handline in the spillways here, using a 20 oz. coke bottle for a reel. Haven't seen them catch anything other than drum though. Drum must be good on tacos, they always get excited.

That does it Feelay, you're paying for this monitor. Bwahahahahaha Drum Tacos.

Wannabe...

"G"
01-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Dang....satdoc caused one messed up monitor for me today and now feelay. Gonna have to keep paper towels and windex on the desk from now on. :D

crappiejohn
01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Again, I'm not fishing for sport anymore. I'm fishing for food. I plan to build a simple jon boat, use my dads old trolling motor and a paddle, a friend gave me a depth finder, and I bought some Aquastar submersible lights about a couple years back that I never used because I was too busy fly-fishing for sport.

It takes up less space in the boat. There are no moving parts, and you can cast about as far as any rod will throw.

I took a piece of 2 in. dia. PVC pipe and wrapped about a 100 yards of 6 lbs test mono around it.

well if your just fishing for food you might as well just throw out a trot line for catfish and not worry bout crappie, dont think your gonna get a whole heck of alot on a pvc pipe less you were planning on using that for structure

funbun
01-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah, a trot line would definitely work. Jugs too. The PVC pipe is only one foot long. It holds the line. With end caps it makes for a nice tackle box/tube.

callshy
01-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Hook the wrong fish and you could loose a finger or two!!! Probably would want to get some light wire circle hooks so the hook set would not have to be hard. I amy have some old rods if you need some rods though.

BigKyd
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
just get you a coke bottle some 20 lb test and a sparkplug for a weight

I've seen migrant workers doing this at a couple small local lakes, not sure they were using spark plugs though.

Micropterus salmoides
01-27-2010, 06:33 PM
go froggin.......even simpler
and as tasty as any fish you'll ever eat

funbun
01-27-2010, 08:10 PM
The simplest fishing I've ever done is crabbing. Just get a bunch of throw away meat from the butcher and tie it on the end of some mason line. Those were fun times as well.

GCD
01-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Sounds like fly-fishing which is almost as old as handline fishing.

What do you think gave them the idea for a fly rod? Cane poles have been around a lot longer than fly rods.

I caught my first fish on a cane pole.
The cane pole has caught more fish than any other device except a net. I like a 16-20'er, and you don't even have to have a boat to use one because you can fish from shore with it!

Check out these guys fishin' with cane poles.

YouTube - Tuna Fishing 1940's Pt1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM93Mg8rtBM&feature=related)

funbun
01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
What do you think gave them the idea for a fly rod? Cane poles have been around a lot longer than fly rods.

The cane pole has caught more fish than any other device except a net. I like a 16-20'er, and you don't even have to have a boat to use one because you can fish from shore with it!

YouTube - Tuna Fishing 1940's Pt1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM93Mg8rtBM&feature=related)

Yes, that was my point exactly. Also, I've noticed that commercial fishing requires accumulating large numbers of fish in one spot. From there it doesn't seem to matter what you use to pull them in, as demonstrated again by this video.

As applied to freshwater lakes and rivers, night stalking is the only thing I've seen that comes close to that.

GCD
01-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes, that was my point exactly. Also, I've noticed that commercial fishing requires accumulating large numbers of fish in one spot. From there it doesn't seem to matter what you use to pull them in, as demonstrated again by this video.

As applied to freshwater lakes and rivers, night stalking is the only thing I've seen that comes close to that.

I guess you still don't understand... read this.

Advanced Cane-Pole Tactics For Crappie (http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/crappies-panfish-fishing/RA_0206_01/)

You can rig 6 cane poles with that 100 yards of like you have and still have over 100 feet left... and have a heckuva lot better chance of catching fish for food than with one handline... think about it!

deathb4disco
01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
You can rig 6 cane poles with that 100 yards of like you have and still have over 100 feet left... and have a heckuva lot better chance of catching fish for food than with one handline... think about it!

Yeah, if I were looking for a meal, I'd take a canepole over a handline anyday.

funbun
01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Ah, I see this does make sense.

After reading I'm a bit confused about the spider riggin deal. Does it use rod holders or is it something you can make out of a 2 x 4?

Cane Pole
01-27-2010, 09:43 PM

no I haven't.

GCD
01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Ah, I see this does make sense.

After reading I'm a bit confused about the spider riggin deal. Does it use rod holders or is it something you can make out of a 2 x 4?

2x4... PVC pipe with 100 yds. of mono wrapped around it... bent clothes hanger... necessity is the mother of invention!

whiskerwhipper
01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I had a hand reel (aussie version of cuban yo yo) that I had purchased with a rod that was made for my Alvey reel. I use to sneak it onto the piers with I didnt like the 1 or 2 rod limit or when i wanted to fish on a "walkers" fee. It had a tapering spool which allowed me to hurl my rig a distance that is equal to me tossing a spinnerbait on a baitcast set up, which was pretty good distance. But it was a pain fighting red drum (me hopes it was), sharks, and sting rays with mono and bare hands. Plus piled up line tangled pretty quickly. So I kept the handline confined to the pier. Just drop line over side and that was it. I was at Myrtle Beach with my youth group for a senior trip. Since they intentionally didnt make space for my feeshin gear, I smuggled my handline with me. I'd get up early in the morning and sneak out for long periods of time. I guess God didnt like wut I was doing cause one of dem big "pet" sharks got a hold of my handline. Tug of war with 5ft shark with 25lb line wasnt fun and cursid thing pulled my handline in, spool and all and almost me. I did sum handline fishn in freshwater. My school business club went to a district conference held at Lake XXX park on a nice sunny day. I smuggled a handline of spiderwire braid wrapped around a popsicle stick with a #12 hook and split shot. Baited with any bug i could find, breadcrusts, and pieces of lunch meat, I caught all the dink bream i wanted. I thought i could do it alone but i had a following of classmates who wanted to fish. So I found discarded line and hooks, made handlines for them. They had a blast and my lil group and I missed all the required events and seminars. Getting detention.....cost me a few afternoons fishin......catching fish while playin "hooky..........priceless :)

speck tackler
01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I want some more info on those drum tacos.. sound YUMMY!!! Anybody got a recipe???

GCD
01-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I want some more info on those drum tacos.. sound YUMMY!!! Anybody got a recipe???

It's actually a Mexican fish soup that they make.

http://www.familyoven.com/offsite?r_id=146081&u=http://www.recipezaar.com/89102