Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4lb or 6 lb

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4lb or 6 lb

I know that I am probably starting an on-going debate but I was curious what you all think about the difference in 4 and 6 lb test. Is there much change in the speed your jig drops when vertically jigging with 4lb compared to 6lb? I have always used 6 lb in the past (except when trout fishing and I have used 4lb). The main reason was because I was just "fishing" for anything and everything and if I caught a walleye, whitebass, or largemouth, I had enough size in line to bring in the fish. I am now out to catch the crappie so I am wondering if I should change my crappie rods to 4lb test? Any thoughts?
    When in doubt, set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time I use 6lb test for crappie fishing. I only cast and vertical jig. I cant tell much of a difference between the line as far as falling, but breaking strength I could tell a big difference. The biggest difference I noticed was when I fished with Stren clear blue 6lb compared to 4lb and then the hi-vis gold Stren. I caught several catfish between 15 and 20 pounds on the 6lb line, but anything bigger would break it. The 4lb would break on anything that looked to be bigger than 7lb. I cant swear to it, but I wanna say it was the 4lb hi-vis gold I was using while fishing the Tennessee river when I caught several big buffalo while crappie fishing the turbulant back water pump out. The biggest one was 60lb and I got it in, I caught several big ones on that line, but did have some to break it. Never the less wether it was the 6 or the 4, it sold me on the strength of that line. It was alot stronger than the regular stren and I think was the same diameter or smaller or real close. Stren extrastrength 6lb line is hard to beat for mono. You can tow your boat with that stuff lol

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of breaking off with 4lb, I could tell a huge difference too when I have used it in the past as I mentioned when trout fishing. Seems like it would even break sometimes when tying the knot. As far as the 6lb goes, Stren has always been my favorite as well. I have caught numerous large catfish while jigging for Crappie and it has almost always landed the fish for me. I have yet to try Hi-Vis gold but I am going to BPS next week so I will probably pick some up. I have also heard good things on BPS Mr. Crappie line. I am thinking about buying a spool to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

The ONLY line I use is Stren Hi-Vis GOLD in 6 lb. test. I strictly vertical jigfish.

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes fish with very light 2lb line, but after i locate big slabs i always end up losing the biggest fish. Needless to say I now use 6lb line, just have to slow down a little. I think it does make a difference in line, I was getting a lot more bites in the winter on 2lb line than 6lb.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I too Use 6Lb. only.To Many Break offs and lost fish With 4 lb.!!I use both cajun line and wally Marshall Hi-vis.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6 lb Ironsilk on open water because I like the slack feeling to the line and fewer breakoffs, but we use 2 or 4 pound line through the ice. I will admit that I miss some light hits that my spouse would probably feel with the 4 lb he uses. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody used the Mr. Crappie camo line?

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest with ya I used to use 4 and 6 lb. mono, until I tried Powerpro, its a braided line 2lb. diameter and 10 lb strenth, in the brush and stained water i dont think you can beat it. give it a try I dont think you will be disappointed. Do read the instructions on the box its a little different that using mono, and above all else when you get hung up NEVER pull on the stuff with you hands. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i currently use it on all 16 of my trolling rods, I use the Mr Crappie Hi Vis for tightlining. No trouble in about 2yrs of using it.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast