PDA

View Full Version : best minnow bucket??

Bassky
01-26-2010, 10:13 AM
What is the best minnow bucket on the market? Website or where to buy??
Thanks,
Bassky:)

rnvinc
01-26-2010, 10:17 AM
I use the champain style styrofoam bucket...it has a wire structure around the outside to help give it rigidity...

I changed to lid to wood with a strap hinge so I wouldn't lose it going down the highway...

CrappieKillerJigs
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
i use and like the Frabill min-o2-life.....its a lil pricey but it works great and i dont lose any minnows and i dont have to worrk about a minnow net on them cold days...

Cabela's -- Frabill Min-O2-Life (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0022971016363a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=minnow+bucket&Ntk=Products&QueryText=minnow+bucket&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23)

"G"
01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Ditto on the Frabil Minnowlife2

feelay
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Plain ole 5 gallon bucket with a styrofoam liner and a flip top lid.

jimmydee1
01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
I like the ole school metal buckets with inserts. I can continually change water to keep them fresh or hang the insert over the side. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". My old school ways just seem to keep rearin their ugly heads.

Matter of fact, one bucket I use was given to me by my granddad when I was 12, and it was old then. I'm 62. Bout got it broke in.lol

oldwun
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
What Feelay said.

Hillbilly910
01-26-2010, 12:31 PM
frabill mino-life bucket. Not the larger box design with the built in net. This is a 8 quart bucket with a foam liner. Best i have ever owned, great in hot or cold weather. If you pack alot of bait on the trip(8 dozen plus) i think they make a 12 quart version as well.

HB:cool:

gatoloco
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
I finally broke down and got a Frabill min-o2-life and have been very pleased.

azslabber
01-26-2010, 02:19 PM
2 gallon square ice chest with a hole drilled on top for areation line to go through.Slit cut on side to hold the Frabil areater.

Hillbilly910
01-27-2010, 01:20 AM
sorry, wrong name, the frabill bucket i have is called a "Kool keeper"

HB

Wichita
01-27-2010, 03:21 AM
I use these in the winter when ya need to keep your hands dry, they also sit flatter with a larger base. I like em'

The Dry Hands Minnow Bucket (http://www.crappiestuff.com/dry_hands_minnow_bucket.html)

firewhatfire
01-27-2010, 05:36 AM
coolest bait holder I have ever seen was down at the the coast. A fella took his wifes kitchen garbage can(13 gallon one) run the plumbing with bilge pump connected. He always had fresh water being pumped into the can from the flex pipe thrown over the side of the boat. The drain at the top was another piece of flex thrown back over the side to drain.

had inlet and outlet holes cut at the top of the can and pvc pipe run down inside to get water to bottom. Less than $30 including pump invested.

nccrappiegirl
01-27-2010, 05:55 AM
I use these in the winter when ya need to keep your hands dry, they also sit flatter with a larger base. I like em'

The Dry Hands Minnow Bucket (http://www.crappiestuff.com/dry_hands_minnow_bucket.html)

I second the hands dry minnow bucket. The frabrill's (which I own two of).. are ok for warmer months but when its cool or colder... you can't beat the hands dry minnow bucket in my opinion. We've been using them for a while now and really love them.

GCD
01-27-2010, 07:21 AM
I like and use the Frabill Flow Troll.

I put it in my livewell after launching and then fill the well, this way the minnows are acclimated to the current water temp and don't die of shock on the hook, and it keeps them nice and lively!

Yeah, I get cold wet hands in the winter.... but that's part of the winter Crappie fishing experience for me!... and a good excuse to play a little pocket pool.:D

hunt4crappie
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I just bought one of these in 7 quart size. One battery lasted almost 70 hours. Is real quiet and insulated well.

Magic Aerobait Bait Saver, Fresh Water, Magic at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/magic-aerobait-bait-saver.aspx?a=70607)

Here is a thread from 2008 discussing this product.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/76701-aerobait-bait-savers.html

CrappieKillerJigs
01-27-2010, 09:51 AM
that dry hand minnow bucket sucks....i bought one and took it to reelfoot last year and it was the biggest pain their was....i tossed it after the first day and bought a form bucket....if you dont have the dry hand bucket sitting all the way flat then it hangs up and doesnt spit the minnows out right...

foul hook
01-27-2010, 10:41 AM
The problem that I had with the dry hands bucket is that the minnows end up under the screen. that is a real pain. It works great on large shiners. Then the outside insulation split.

gabowman
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
I use the champain style styrofoam bucket...it has a wire structure around the outside to help give it rigidity... Had one that lasted 20+ years. Ran over it with truck....long story.:rolleyes: Bought another just like it. Hope it'll last as long as the first one did.;):)

blairarnold
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
I just bought one of these in 7 quart size. One battery lasted almost 70 hours. Is real quiet and insulated well.

Magic Aerobait Bait Saver, Fresh Water, Magic at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/magic-aerobait-bait-saver.aspx?a=70607)

Here is a thread from 2008 discussing this product.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/76701-aerobait-bait-savers.html

I've got one, too, and it has really worked well. It seems a lot quieter than the Frabil also.

blairarnold
01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
i use and like the Frabill min-o2-life.....its a lil pricey but it works great and i dont lose any minnows and i dont have to worrk about a minnow net on them cold days...

Cabela's -- Frabill Min-O2-Life (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0022971016363a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=minnow+bucket&Ntk=Products&QueryText=minnow+bucket&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23)

Is it small enough to keep by you and get minnows out of?

funbun
01-27-2010, 11:17 AM

They make Styrofoam liners for five gallon buckets? Where can I get one?

CrappieKillerJigs
01-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Is it small enough to keep by you and get minnows out of?

yeah its not all that big...will hold 5-8 dozen pretty well...the net is made in so its as easy as just lefting the liner out and the minnow are right there...no more chasing them around the bucket

brazman
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm almost positive Academy Sports has a 6 gal bucket with pictures of diff species of fish around the sides, with a teal snap on lid and a styrofoam insert. Also the dove hunting bucket seat I got at Academy for $12 had a two piece styrofoam insert, one big one and a smaller, tray-like piece that fit on top of the bigger one inside the bucket.

blairarnold
01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
yeah its not all that big...will hold 5-8 dozen pretty well...the net is made in so its as easy as just lefting the liner out and the minnow are right there...no more chasing them around the bucket

Thanks.

critter
01-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Hey Guys,
I saw one on tv that looks like the cats meow.It was like one of those colapsable coolers only round and had a little pocket on the side with an aereator in it.It was insulated also.Does any know the name of it or where it can be bought

rockmike
01-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Aerobait bucket. You can even get parts for them.

speck tackler
01-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Bass Pro Shops carries a styrofoam liner for 5 gallon buckets. Only $5.99. This is what I use, except I put mine in a 3.5 gallon bucket that I picked up at Lowe's (in the paint dept). Same diameter as the 5 gal, only shorter. BPS liner fits in perfectly. Clipped on a D-cell battery operated aerator. Ended up with a set-up pretty much exactly like the Frabil aerated buckets, for about half the price!!!

greenchicken
01-27-2010, 06:01 PM

where did you get the liner?

critter
01-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Found it,its called long life soft sided bait bucket avaible at cabela,s.Looks like the thing to get er done to me.

Limb Bream
01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
I have had a dry hands minnow bucket for about 2 years and have has no problems. I like it. I do replace the batteries for aerator occasionally. It keeps the minnows alive from one trip to another.

Dogrockit
01-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Jigheads and plastics.......