Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long lining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining

I have read a lot about long lining and was wondering if anyone does this as a sole technique or what are the variables needed? I know they do this a lot in the spring like on Weiss and in Florida--just wondering why you guys choose this method and why it works on certain lakes? Is it just used to cover water or target transition fish? It just seems like here in Illinois no one long lines, maybe it is just the lakes we fish....i guess we target more structure and pick it apart rather than trolling coves and flats?

Post Thanks / Like

im looking into the same thing...none of know nothing about this type of fishing...i havent seen it done around here...im going to weiss soon and plan on trying this
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

long lining allows you to cover more water and fish underwater structure. you can catch bigger fish this way, and more fish. I use this method in tournaments or on unfamiliar waters.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Post Thanks / Like

Started doing that in the late 1970's here on Toledo Bend. It is my main thing during the spring, but then I don't again until Fall here. No one was doing that when I started and I was guiding with plenty of guys saying, man I never have caught them like this, LOL!

When the crappie get in shallow and I start getting them like that I use mostly a 1/32 oz. Roadrunner or regular jig in same size. I target mostly the 6' 7' water depth around the Hydrilla. Sometime I will get them before that (when they are in the 6' area) and right after they start moving back out doing the same thing in 11'-14' of water.

I set my variable speed TM on about 3 to start and then adjust for the wind and fish. Usually stay between .8 and 1.2 MPH.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=lhumphre;1005806]I have read a lot about long lining and was wondering if anyone does this as a sole technique or what are the variables needed?

No I don,t do this as a sole technique:rolleyes: only about 90% of the time. Like everyone else I will fish the 1/ft range when they hit the banks Some lakes are more difficult than others to long line. structure, natural or man made:D can hinder the true long lining game. Some consider a modified tight line/spider rig setup as longlining but its not! I will quit rambling on and answer your ?---YES:D:D

Post Thanks / Like

luke ill get you out in the spring sometime, its basically all i do at clinton to catch crappies

Post Thanks / Like

We do alot of long lining here in central NC. Mostly tightline this time of year and start long lining in mid to late feb. We mostly use 2" triple tail jigs on 1/32oz jig heads. Just add a split shot or two 30" up your 4lb hi-vis line if you want to go deeper. Start from the bow with 2 14'ers, then 2 12'ers, then 2 10'ers, then 8'ers and wind up with 2 6'ers on the stern and pull them between .7 and 1mph. Can't wait to try out our new Terrova I-Pilot on this kind of fishing. It should be the ticket! By the way, we have a 24v 70lb 54" Riptide Autopilot in real good shape we need to sell now. The boat's been kept indoors for the life of the motor and never seen saltwater.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Y'all have already been told everything I could tell you. Should you get to Weiss and want the local heads up or want to talk to a working guide that uses this technique a lot, get ahold of Terry Whaley on the Alabama state section. I fished with him in the spring of '08 and he is a great guy. Even if you don't hire him he'll help you get going and has the answers to every question I could ask him.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Midwest crappie season 5 has a long line trolling show.
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

Post Thanks / Like

What is the preferred water temp to begin long line trolling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast