Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey Patrick Vowell.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Patrick Vowell.

How'd you do at the classic?I was down there that weekend for some catfish action that never surfaced.What was the winning weight?I know the cat tourn. had a 5 fish 212 lbs and a big fish of 58lbs .Hope you had some luck.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Post top weights

Big "E" - FYI

The top weights were:

26.43lbs for the Amatuer division
    26.35lbs for the Semi-Pro(Whittenaur) division.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default Results

This may be what you're looking for.
    gerald

http://www.crappieusa.com/results/Bi...rnament_ID=267

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Big "E" - FYI

The top weights were:

26.43lbs for the Amatuer division
    26.35lbs for the Semi-Pro(Whittenaur) division.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Gcromer, I didn't have the time to post the link when I posted the weights earlier. I had just entered them in my notebook earlier that morning, and had them handy at the time.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Hey Big E

I did absolutely horrible. Only caught three crappie in three days. That was a tough lake. Another day and I think I would have figured them out though. A guy I was talking to a while back said it would be similar in fishing for the big ones around Indiana and he was right. It seemed they wanted a slow moving bait trolling or vertical jigging. I know of one team that did well longlinin', but that is a technique that I haven't fished in years and the classic isn't the place to start for me. I didn't really figure out were I needed to be until late saturday afternoon. I went for the money, knew I wasn't gonna be there , so I came home early. It is on my adopted home lake next year, so I expect different results.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that patrick.That is a tough lake , I didn't do anything the whole weekend either and was after a much easier species.I think if I got to fish it more often the patterns would become clearer , but it's so massive you just dont know where to start.We weren't kidding about the stumps huh?Eric.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Santee and stumps

Big "E"

I saw your comments about the stumps at Santee... You're right about being big and the stumps. I just never did learn how to fish it although I still go at times and catch a few..

As you know from some of my posting I do go up in the upper Santee swamps. I can send you a couple of pictures of what it looks like where I go to you.

Most people would ride right by the entrance to it on the river. And it's so different looking up in there from winter and summer...

If this winter is like last it'll be good, but the mud has got to go. It's been flooded twice since the two storms dumped all the water on the state. It'll be 6 to 8 weeks before I really start looking at going back.. It can get crowded at times in there. And fishing it can be just like a woman at times, Really HOT and really COLD.

If it picks up this winter, I can let you know and we can go.

Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    Sorry to hear that patrick.That is a tough lake , I didn't do anything the whole weekend either and was after a much easier species.I think if I got to fish it more often the patterns would become clearer , but it's so massive you just dont know where to start.We weren't kidding about the stumps huh?Eric.
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gerald , I would love to go out with someone who knows something about the place.I've been down there three times this year and spent countless dollars and have recieved no kind of satisfaction whatsoever.We did fish the spillway last time down and got on some good sized bluegills in the backwater.But bluegills aren't gonna keep me coming back at the expense of hotels and everything else involved.Thank you for the invite and let me know when the time is right.Do you ever do any striper fishing down there?Would love to hang into some of those for sure.Eric.

Post Thanks / Like

Big "E"
    I never have fished for the stripers down there. I understand that it can be real good in Jan and Feb. A friend that has now pasted, really did well on them 10 to 15 years ago. Those striper are still there...

I read your posting about the nice bluegills that you got into. That had to been a lot of fun. I've never fished that area. Were you in the lake or in the canal between the lakes? And don't let the gaters or snakes get to you. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.. The gaters are just curious. Just don't come between a moma and her babies.

I've seen them at Jack's Creek before, 15 footers, and they'll just keep their distance and watch you. The snakes may just be Brown Water Smakes. Most people take them as being the wrong kind. But don't chance checking them
    out though. If fishing gets looking good I'll let you know. Swamp fishing can be different that lake fishing..

We use to start about Thanksgiving week checking things out. Before the duck hunters get in there on a Wednesday. Most of them are really there to hunt, but there are always a couple that want to drink and shoot all night long. And I don't mind that as long as they're far enough away they don't hit where we're camping. The next morning they were laid out all over the ground asleep. They didn't get up until noon...

Last year late Dec, Jan and Feb, until the ice storm came through was good. After the ice storm, they turned off for several weeks. I've had years that were hot just about all the time and then years that I couldn't hardly catch anything...But that's fishing...

Gerald
    [email protected] for a couple pictures of the area

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    Thanks Gerald , I would love to go out with someone who knows something about the place.I've been down there three times this year and spent countless dollars and have recieved no kind of satisfaction whatsoever.We did fish the spillway last time down and got on some good sized bluegills in the backwater.But bluegills aren't gonna keep me coming back at the expense of hotels and everything else involved.Thank you for the invite and let me know when the time is right.Do you ever do any striper fishing down there?Would love to hang into some of those for sure.Eric.
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC