PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Terminology

Gansett
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Maybe I'm the one who gets easily confused when talking about trolling. For most of my life trolling was done with a rod or two off the back of the boat. Now trolling can also mean "pushing" which is on the front of the boat with one to eight lines nearly perpendicular to the water (pushing). So, for example, if someone says they are trolling using a Capps & Coleman rig I wonder if they are using the rig correctly because I don't think you can pull a C&C rig, it is made for pushing.
OK, maybe I'm making something out of nothing, I just want a clear understanding of what someone is doing when they tell me they are "trolling."

feelay
01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
This is going to end up like the crappie or croppie thread. Folks are gonna call things what they will, whether right or wrong. Pushin', slow trollin', spider riggin', it's all the same.

Gansett
01-25-2010, 06:30 PM
You may be right Feelay, I just hope it doesn't get out of hand. But, you mentioned "spider rigging" and that's what I mean. If a person is fishing spider-rigged I'd like to know if that person is pulling or pushing as there is a big difference.

yankee doodler
01-25-2010, 06:33 PM
that if your "spider rigging" your pushin', pullin', and draggin' all in one.

Flatwater
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
If you are spider rigging you are tight line trolling.
If you are trolling you are pulling crank baits out the back.
If you are long lining you are pulling jigs out the back.
I be willing to bet it all means something different in other parts of the country.

You can tight line troll by useing the spider setup or stright out the sides with each rod 2 feet shorter or longer than the one next to it. Hook up and just swing the fish in to the boat. In the spider rig you got to lift the fish up between the other poles and let the fish swing stright back toward yourself.

Herewego
01-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I be willing to bet it all means something different in other parts of the country.

You can tight line troll by useing the spider setup or stright out the sides with each rod 2 feet shorter or longer than the one next to it. Hook up and just swing the fish in to the boat. In the spider rig you got to lift the fish up between the other poles and let the fish swing stright back toward yourself.

I think you explained real well.

Quicksilver1958
01-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Good explanation, then there is "pulling jigs" which is a very effective method that was born on Pickwick and made popular by Roger Gant. Trolling motor mounted midway on the side of the boat and pull the boat sideways while dragging hair jigs (Gant jigs) on the bottom.. Very very effective on Pickwick and a few other lakes.

jaxsprat
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
I guess being in a boat is common to all:rolleyes:

feelay
01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
I guess being in a boat is common to all:rolleyes:

It helps!

CrappieKillerJigs
01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
darn and i was thinking i knew alot about crappie fishing but this thread has me confused....i just call them all "CATCHIN FISH".....lol

LBM
01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
My two cents, from someone that won't ever win a tournament, is that you won't feel the thump if the rod is not in your hand. :D :) ;)

rnvinc
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I love that feel of the "thump" as much as anyone....but I just have more confidence in catchin fish while spider riggin...but that's just me....I've been known for being different all my life...

When someone on the lake sees me spider riggin and they ask what I'm doin...I say I'm seining for crappie....

Flatwater
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
they thump in summer and spring but in winter they suck it in while suspended, the line moves and you set the hook or you miss them.

Uncle BS
01-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Pushing, slow trolling and spider rigging are pretty much the same thing to me. Pulling jigs, longlineing and fast trolling about the same thing. Some use cranks, minnows, jigs, spinners, etc... You can fish either way with either one. Just my opinion, have done them all.