Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wind

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind

Lets see what kind of tid bits we can get from this!:DHow much does the wind affect your crappie fishing and what have you found to be the best method of fishing in windy conditions?Providing temps arent of the arctic variety.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now on the lakes I have been fishing the crappie are wanting the minnows or jigs not moving, if you can't find a cove that's out of the wind with brush it is best to stay at home. And with the 3'' of rain we had last night the lakes are real muddy. Seen a catfish getting a clean drink of water out of my outside faucet this morning!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that keeping the baits moving slooowly or not at all at times is best. My hits usually come just as the bait is coming to a stop, or close to it. Some wind isn't a big factor if I can keep the movement at a slow pace. Too much wind and I'm with Stump.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had water lapping in my boat in Mississippi and was steady catchin crappie. I've been on the same lake, gentle (1-3 mph) breeze, over cast and what should have been in the middle of the spawn, and couldn't catch a cold.

I think it's all in how you hold your mouth............. no, seriously. Nothing else explains it.

Forgot to mention one constant element. If you're fishin on a N. Mississippi lake and Wannabe is on the South end of that lake, there will ALWAYS be a prevailing 15 mph hour South wind. If he happens to be on the East end of that lake, then you're gonna have a prevailing East wind. If he's on----------------------well, I think you get it.
    Last edited by jimmydee1; 01-25-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: missed somethin

Post Thanks / Like

What I do is go upwind and let the wind push me down or across the lake. Once I run out of water I just pull in my lines and head back upwind. If I am moving too fast I put a drift sock out and it slows me down. i keep the side of the boat into the wind which slows you down even more. I have caught a lot of crappie using this method. it also saves your trolling battery.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500 View Post
    What I do is go upwind and let the wind push me down or across the lake. Once I run out of water I just pull in my lines and head back upwind. If I am moving too fast I put a drift sock out and it slows me down. i keep the side of the boat into the wind which slows you down even more. I have caught a lot of crappie using this method. it also saves your trolling battery.

Good info...Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Fished with my nephew today and the wind was unreal I would have never went but he has 21ft boat and 36v TM and it was a fight just to stay in the water, but we caught several small crappie and a couple keepers! He says he loves fishin the wind and says he catches more! I dont know but it sure makes interesting especialy when my neice fell in the river today and we had to pull her out! Please be real careful when its bad windy its not worth a life!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The advantage for me and my home lakes of KY and Barkley is that there are usually a few bays somewhere on these 2 lakes that i can get out of the wind...

The first thing I check before I go fishin is the wind direction.....then I make my choice of bay to fish based on which bay will give me the best cover from the wind....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor