Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Prices

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Prices

I was looking at the boat at Bass Pro Shop last summer. It was aluminum, about 15 feet, one of the smaller boats they had. It had "Crappie" in the name. It had electric start and I think it was a 25 hp Mercury motor. It was basically shaped like a jon boat, except that the front had a kind of Vee shape. But I don't remember anything about the price. Can someone give me a ball-park price for a boat like this?

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

25 Merc is about $3,000 plus the hull with options about another $2000 plus trailer ($500-$1000)...I would think BPS is charging at least 4000-5000 for it...But that's s guess. If you go to a marina in Jackson, MIss the same setup would be about 8000-10,000

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Tug ....

was it one of these - http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=1280

or one of these - http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=1282

or was it one of these - http://www.trackerboats.com/segment/...cfm?segment=15

IF it was at BPS, and an aluminum ... it would probably have to be a Tracker boat, of some kind. Click on the "customize with build a boat" link, in the above links, and you will get an idea of what the price ranges run. It depends on what size motor you want to upgrade to, mostly. ....cp

Post Thanks / Like

It looked a lot like the Panfish 16, altho, it may have been the other. I think the panfish would suit my needs, tho. Would this boat be more stable on the water than my 14 foot flatbottom jon boat? I push it with a 20 Johnson.

Tugaloo

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Which ever you decide on, get the biggest motor the boat will take or can afford. You will not regret it. I don't know how many times I have talked to people that got smaller motors and regret not getting a bigger one. Just my 2¢ worth.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Which ever you decide on, get the biggest motor the boat will take or can afford. You will not regret it. I don't know how many times I have talked to people that got smaller motors and regret not getting a bigger one. Just my 2¢ worth.
    absolutely. the 25 hp is not a big enough motor for the panfish special. that boat needs at least a 40 hp. i've seen some of them that would barely even plane out with the 25.

Post Thanks / Like

the ads at b.p. always have a small motor on the rig, when you go to the store they
    hit you up fpr a bigger motor, which is what you need. the ad just gets you in the
    store.
    chef

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat

If I'm not mistaking, Keith Cox just got one on the VA. site he has a web page e-mail him, he has a nice set up.GOD Bless..
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tugaloo
    It looked a lot like the Panfish 16, altho, it may have been the other. I think the panfish would suit my needs, tho. Would this boat be more stable on the water than my 14 foot flatbottom jon boat? I push it with a 20 Johnson.

Tugaloo
    Tug ... check the width of your boat against the Tracker of choice -- the wider of the two will be a bit more stable than the other. But, don't expect any aluminum, basically flat bottomed boat, to be all that stable ... they're all going to be a little "tippy" (since they draft so shallow, due to their design & lighter weight), and they will be prone to being easily blown around (same reasons).
    Another problem with underpowered boats ... is that the motor has to work extra hard to push the load and/or plane the boat - this uses fuel at a high rate of consumption. A larger motor may weigh more ... but, the greater power and larger prop will put the boat on plane quicker, plane the boat higher out of the water (reducing drag), and allow you to "cruise" without keeping the motor at WOT (wide open throttle). This equates to better mpg, and also doesn't tax the motor as much.
    Just something to think about ... it may not affect you, but forewarned is forearmed !! ............ luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

to add to what CP wrote....a smaller motor will have to work harder to get you aroung the water. In most cases this would mean shorter life of the smaller motor. Bigger motor=less work=less maintenance=longer life. I have an older Tracker with a 40hp on it now. I couldn't imagine that boat with a 25 hp on it. Might as well break out the paddle. My$.02
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast