Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Toy

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Toy

At the start of '09, I had planned to save up for one year to but a new bell/whistle for the boat. Due to the economy, my employer cut salaries. Oh, well. However, my boss handled the reduced expenses wisely, and actually refunded our salary cuts in two very welcome checks in December. Wouldn't you know it, the refund was just the amount I was planning to save anyway!!!

So, today I played around with a Humminbird 997si combo. Cool stuff! I looked at the pillars of Farrington Bridge, and saw some other really cool things under the water. It defaulted to looking out 148' out either side of the boat...so I was seeing a clear picture of a 296' wide swath at 6mph! What I did not see, however, was a group of bamboo condos I rolled by. I may need to play with the sensitivity--I think I saw them but only the shadow? I wandered over an old road bed and could clearly see even the small pieces of blacktop crumbling away from the edges.

I can't wait to take it into the S-turns and of course...the famous mid-lake hump! I'll post some screenshots when I figure it out.

Oh, and no bites or fish today, but not really my priority As I was pulling out of Farrington, met a couple guys unstrapping their boat--full of bamboo condos. They said they'd learned that bamboo is a long lasting structure from Crappie.com. No idea where they are putting them
    I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

all right....get the bugs worked out..we all want to see how that works on the drop days...

Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy, what are you going to do with your previous GPS, the Lowrance?

Kellog

Post Thanks / Like

Crataegus:
    boots

Post Thanks / Like

Crataegus:
    Sorry about that, a case of hitting the wrong key. By Chance did you help with the Jordan bamboo project last Feb./Mar. I'm sure you will love the new toy,wish I had one myself.
    boots

Post Thanks / Like

Kellog,

The Lowrance remains the invaluable part of my fishing approach that it has been for the last year and a half--and it remains mounted in the front of the boat, so that it is used while fishing. The 997 is mounted in the back of the boat and is used at no-wake outboard speeds to locate structure. a football field wide @6mph is a fast way to find new spots...but it is just another depth finder once I have found them

Boots,

I regret that I was not involved in the late '08/early '09 Jordan Lake condo project. That is why it is an absolute priority that I help out with the early 2010 project

I'll re-read the owner's manual so I can put the 997 to good use during the Yadkin chain drop.
    I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could

Post Thanks / Like

My fishing buddy has a 997 too. We haven't figured it out either. It shows a bridge pillings or a rocky bank when you go by. But it doesn't show bamboo condos in side imaging mode for some reason. Shows them fine in regular mode.

Post Thanks / Like

It is just a guess, but maybe because the bamboo is hollow it is sending a doulbe echo in side view that shows up as a distorted shadow. Jeremy, I am sure you will get it figured out. I will keep an eye on this thread for future updates.

Kellog

Post Thanks / Like

check out this link

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/virgi...oon-today.html

Tap might be able to put you ahead of the curve.
    Vietnam Vet
    RECONATACRON-7,
    USS ENTERPRISE CVAN-65