Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaking rivets???

Post Thanks / Like

Question leaking rivets???

I took the "new" boat out the other day...

It is a 1982 Alluminue "Fisher" bass boat

After 3 hours the water had creeped up into the carpet deck. There was several inches of water...

I have not seen any indication of damage so I assume the old rivets are leaking.

Does anyone have advise on pin pointing the leak to make sure it is the rivets?

Is there tried and true compound to repair minor leaks on alluminum.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best thing is to take it home and fill it with a hose a couple of inches.Make sure it is flat and wait a while.You'll see it dripping.You can hammer them rivets from the outside with a person holding a metal dolly or hammer on the same rivet from the inside while you hit it from the outside.It's worth a try,just might do it.If not you could silicone the rivet both sides with a little brush.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

You can re-buck the rivets or Steelflex is a great option.Fasco unlimited

Post Thanks / Like

Since your boat is floored, your best bet would be to check the rivets while the boat is on the trailer. If the boat is taking on that much water, and it is the rivets, they will probably be very visibly loose. I would also very closely inspect the welds, and any areas where the aluminum was stamped (i.e. the ribs). It is possible to develop hairline cracks in these areas, which are not clearly visible, but will allow a substantial amount of water in the boat.

Once you track down the source, JB Weld works very well. There are also a number of putty-type compounds, such as Liquid Steel, which work well on aluminum. You can also seal rivets with silicone caulk. If it is a crack, or some other structural compromise, I would find a good, experienced aluminum welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much what the above have said, and you should also check anything that is mounted below the waterline like sonar transducer for missing or leaking screws.

Locktite Marine Epoxy is some real good stuff for filling holes and stopping leaks once they're located, and it's available at Wal-Mart and Home Depot!

Loctite Marine Epoxy, .85 Oz # 1154728 by Loctite

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading some good reports on this but haven't tried it. BoatFix.com :: GLUVIT EPOXY SEALER QUART $39.12
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kansasmedic View Post

After 3 hours the water had creeped up into the carpet deck.
    Since you have a deck I would do the following:

1) Fill boat with water and see where it is coming out.
    (Hopefully it's coming from loose rivets)
    2) Drill the loose rivets and then use appropriate sized pan head (truss head is actually better but hard to find) stainless sheet metal screws coated with a good silicone sealer (3M-5200) prior to screwing in.

These should stop the leak and also have you avoid taking your deck up.

Since you have the deck it would be very hard to "seal" or "buck" any of the loose rivets.

If you're leaking at a seam or weld then you could have problems....probably re-weld would be best solution, but due to the heat you may have to remove the decking.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a lot of water from loose rivets. Does the boat have a livewell, it could be a hose or fitting leaking.

Post Thanks / Like

I popped a side rivet. Only leaked when there were 2 in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

cabelas sells some stuff made for this...it is a green stick that you melt on with a torch...it is very very strong and will never have to worry about it again...i would seal all of the rivets and be done with it
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast