Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? about kayaks and inflatable pontoons

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? about kayaks and inflatable pontoons

I am in the process of looking for a small watercraft I can use on the small & skinny water in my area - ponds, slow moving streams, etc - mainly for fishing craps, 'gills and LM bass.

I've pretty much narrowed 'it' down to being a kayak or an inflatable pontoon - but based only on what I've seen / read, etc - I have no experience w/ either, and I don't know anyone who has either type.

So do any of you have either of these? I am looking for info any type - likes/dislikes, model names, accessories to get, weight, portability, fishability, things you would do differant if you could do it over, etc.

I am figuring on a budget of $5-600.

Many thanks

UG

PS I didn't think to use Search - so if this type of info already has been posted, I apologize. My bad....
    Last edited by Uncle Grump; 01-23-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had both and I am sitting here trying to decide which I liked better. I have sold both of mine because I prefer to use my Crawdad for the rivers, but if I had to buy one again, I would get another yak.

Look at the Tarpon 100 or 120. I had the 100 and it worked just fine and is a little more maneuverable than the 120. It also had places for rod holders, adjustable footpegs and has 3 Phase seating. The seat is very nice.

Take a look at them.
    Tarpon - Wilderness Systems Kayaks

If you have any ??? shoot me a PM and I will try to answer them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider a canoe over a kayak...
    I have no experience with inflatables.
    A jon boat / alluminum flat bottom in 10' is another option.

Post Thanks / Like

SOT angler kayaks are awesome. That's what I fish out of most of the time. There are always good used ones for sale. The short ones are fine if you stick to the small ponds. However, you'll want at least 12' if you plan to fish farther or fish moving water. The shorter yaks don't track well.

Another option is the "bass buddy" float boats. They're kind of like a small pontoon boat.
    Isaiah 41:10

Post Thanks / Like

Default You might want to look at

float tubes that are available. There also is a type of pontoon/ float tube combo where you have a stadium seat between two pontoons with oar locks and your feet hang in the water and you can use fins as well like in a regular float tube. Storage on board as well as pole holders.
    :D="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Crow Wing 1080

I have a crow wing. It comes fully rigged with rod holders. Its within your price range. The crow wing is designed for hunting and fishing. Its very well made and weighs 42#. It tracks well and packs a fair amount of stuff.
    There are a lot of things to like about the crow wing. I like the layout and size.
    I have used the 1080 on a big river with swift current. Its more versatile than tubes or toons.
    Things I don't like about tubes and toons are lack of versatility and stability. I use mine in freezing temps and stay dry The crow wing is enormously faster than either. Some yaks are more comfortable than any tube or toon. I can sit in mine all day with no problem.
    I love my YAK.
    FIN
    Fishing Kayaks for Sale | Small Boat Fishing Gear
    Last edited by FIN; 01-23-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Skookum Steelheader, cataraft. Not cheap (1200) but alot of water under it in 10 years in alot of places. Cheaper models (5-600) can be purchased from Cabalas & Bass Pro. depending how much use you are giving the raft. 9 ft. tubes best in anyones model. Cant beat a cataraft for comforet and fishing. Anchors well and doesn't keep moving around when fishing. Takes rough water well also.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, for $500 - $600 you could build a kayak if you really wanted. JEM Watercraft has a bunch of designs.

If you do build, consider a pirogue. It's perfect for the kind of waters you mentioned. Dollar for dollar a pirogue is better deal, imo.

For me I've rather have a 10 ft jon boat because kayaks are just too uncomfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a decent budget the best small fishing craft has to be either a Native Watercraft Propel or a Hobie Pro angler. If closer to $1000 is where your at Native Watercraft Ultimate or maybe a NuCanoe.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Native Watercraft Ultimate is hard to beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast