PDA

View Full Version : Stake Driver for Building Stake Beds

rsimms
01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
I want to have a good stake driver built for building stake beds. I need to drive stakes below water level... most likely driving stakes about 4-feet in length in 6 - 10 feet of water.

The principal is obviously the same as a standard fence post driver, except it has to reach below water level.

Can anybody provide me a photograph of an existing such stake driver they'd be willing to share here, or via e-mail?

Or a good description of how to build one that even a very "un-handy" person such as myself might understand?

Thanks in advance!

BigKyd
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
YouTube - Crappie Fishing - How to make a crappie stake bed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqU5JTkbOTo)

sailfish1
01-21-2010, 05:35 PM
hey there rsimms, give tenncrappie a yell, he made one we are gonna try out on the upper chicamauga and hiwassee in the next couple of weeks, he said it will drive them 2 or 3 feet under the water line

78mudbug
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
rsimms it simple go to lowes and buy a 10ft pvc pipe 1.5 inches in dia. then get a coupling that goes from 1.5 to 3 inch glue to one end of the 10ft pipe then get u a 3 to 4 ft 3 inch pipe and glue in the other end of the fitting.there u have it stake driver.make sure to use purple primer before u glue the pipes and fitting this helps bond them better than just glue.also on the 3 inch pipe u will want to drill some holes randomly around it so that it lets the air out when u stick it the water. anymore questions pm me

rsimms
01-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone... great help. Especially that video. I gotta start remembering to use YouTube more often.

Sailfish... let me know how it goes.

rnvinc
01-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Then, you can build one of these...http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/112683-stake-driving-boat.html

CRAPPIEHUNTER68
01-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Here is the diagram of the stake drive in the video.
Stake Driver | www.*************** (http://www.***************/crappie-forums/stake-driver)

AEFISHING
01-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I see he was well dressed for the stake driving.

rsimms
01-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Good stuff... I love it. Ask and ye shall receive....

chuckauten
01-21-2010, 06:12 PM
One thing that I found is useful, is the search feature on this site. Put your question in and any or all posts relating to it will come up. I believe someone above pointed you in the direction of one that was posted a few months ago.

The stupidist question asked, is the one you don't ask. These guys love to help. I wish I had found them 5-10 years ago. Sure has helped my fishing and increased my total of friends.

Good fishing.

Chuck

sea-sons
01-22-2010, 07:04 AM
If you're using bamboo for stakes make sure you drive them deep. They have more flotation than you think. Infact if one comes lose it will pop out of the water several feet and if it hits you it could be real dangerous. If you have time, it's probably a good idea to drill holes in a few of the air tight chambers.

CRAPPIEHUNTER68
01-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the compliment A227986. You know what they say. "Dress for success."

Sea-sons is exactly right on the flotation of large bamboo. I use a piece of rebar to puncture the inner chambers of all the large bamboo while I am cutting it to length. The fastest way I have found is drive a 5 foot piece of rebar in the ground leaveing about 3.5 feet sticking up. Then just thread the bamboo on the rebar and push down to break the inner chambers which are fairly soft.

peepaw
07-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Ray looney made those videos to help us understand what he has learned, installing thousands of individual stakes. Great video!

redneckradtech
04-17-2016, 02:33 AM

Ketchn
04-17-2016, 07:25 AM
just seen that myself the other day .....am gunna make me one soon and drive me some boo ......love the idea myself