Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to Board and new to Crappie fishing in Mississippi

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Board and new to Crappie fishing in Mississippi

Hello, Being new to this group and seeing how everyone tries their best to help out fellow fishermen. I was wondering if anyone from the Northern part of the great state of Mississippi could help. I'm planning on taking a short 4 to 5 day reprieve from work around late February or March and wondering where the best place would be for a few slabs. Are there any affordable cabins on any lake a man can rent? Any info would be greatly appreciated. And by the way, When is the big spawn? I'm up here at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and the spawn here is in mid April to May...usually...Just depending on how long winter decides to hang around..

Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome wolfman. You've found a great site to visit. The folks here are the best. Sure someone will answer your questions. Would help you if i could but i'm not from mississippi, i'm just down the road in Union. Glad to have another Mo. boy aboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Fishing

Wolfman, if anyone could accurately predict the spring bite on our big lakes, it would be worth a lot of money. Right now Sardis is at minimum winter pool, 22' below summer level. How and when the water comes back up depends totally on Mother Nature. February and March are very iffy, and knowing the lake levels for various creeks and coves to be fishable will make or break your trip.

There are cabins at the state parks for all three major lakes, but reservations have to be made early. It's sorta a "catch 22" deal. The crowds are usually out in force by mid April, regardless of the actual bite.

By the way, the bite starts on Grenada Lake, and moves north to Enid, and then Sardis. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Pops:
    Thanks for the info. I need to start planning now I guess. As far as the lakes are concerned, are they navigatable in such low levels? I'd just rather not tear up any equipment.

Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sardis

WM, at winter pool, the Corps lakes in north MS are basically just the original river channels, and these are pretty silted in. For instance, you cannot get a boat into any of the major creeks in Sardis until the level is back around 250' (up 12' from now). There is a lot of early fishing with ATV's at beaver ponds, old river runs, etc. It's one of those "you have to know the spot" deals.

One of the good things is that a person can get out now and walk around on most of the places that hold fish in the spring and summer, its amazing what you can learn. Low water has its advantages!

Crappie'n Guest

Pops - great point about learning the terrain. I was at Sardis on Friday and was cursing not having packed my handheld GPS and a video camera. Would have been great to have marked all of dead trees that are 12 feet high and dry but will be a fish sanctuary this spring. I'm planning on going back in the next week or so for the sole purpose of documenting the structure for future fishing trips.

It also gave me a great opportunity to kind of look at the structure from the fish point of view. The erosion lines give a pretty good opportunity to check out how high the water might be in the spring and it give a whole new meaning to the structure discussions I've been reading about in all the fishing magazines.

I also noticed a couple of discarded Christmas trees popping up on the shore. Kind of early to be dumping them but I guess someone wants to start building their secret structure.

I'm sure that someone reading this posting is bumming because next year he's going to see me parked over his secret tree!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grenada LAKE

Hey Buddy, Grenada Lake Use To My Home Lake, So I Can Help You A
    Little Bit.there Are Cabin's At The State Park Book Now Or They
    Will Taken [ Huge White State Park ].
    I Fish Out Of Graysport Landing. Take Hwy. 8 In Grenada Stay On
    Hwy. 8 To Goresprings About 8 To 10 Miles,there's A Little Store
    Called B's It Has Minnows Or What Ever You Need And On That Road
    The Store On[ Don't Know Name Of Hwy. ] Stay On It To Graysport
    Ramp, Get There Early [small Parking Area ] You Will See All The
    Standing Timber, In The Timber And You Can Do Good By Going Back
    Under The Bridge.
    I Think The Best Time To Go Is About The Last Week In March Or
    First Week In April,best Jig Color I Think Best Chartreuse And Red.
    Minnows Always Do Good,fish Close To Timber And I Fish It Slow
    Let Them Get A Good Look At It Those Big Slabs Like It Slow.
    Grenada Has The Biggest Slabs Of All The Lakes.
    Check Out My Old Post On The Main Forum [dixie Slabs ]

Post Thanks / Like

spider rig man thanks for the info, Any way to find out the number to the state park or can I access it thru the web?

Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default State Park

Jeff, The # Is 662-226-4934,.............good Luck
    Spider Rig Man