Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: few blue cat ?s

Post Thanks / Like

Default few blue cat ?s

I got a few questions about blue cats. Can big blue cats be can just as good from the bank as well as off a boat? Wut rigs would you use from the shore? There is a 62 acre DNR lake near my house I fish at often. There was a guy there fishin and he told me there are/were blue cats in that lake. I know there are channel cats in that lake as well as some nasty bullheads. Is there a way to tell if there are blue cats in a lake other than by word of mouth? I've fished that lake hard but never caught a blue cat from there. Would drifting a santee drift rig or carolina rig work well in a small body of water compared to a big reservoir or river?
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a DNR lake, they should have some kind of records showing if they were natural to the lake or stocked. Check with the State web site and if it's not on there call and ask.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

cody mullonex caught that blue in lake texoma fishing from the bank. he was using a circle hook with a pyramid sinker below the bait, and was lauching about 100 yds off shore i believe i read in the catfish insider

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Can you jug fish it? If you can, get some fresh shad heads and toss you some jugs out. 3 to 5ft of line and some circle hooks. If you can't I would do the same but with rods and a big cork.Keep em way off the bottom.Good luck and keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PBUG2009 View Post
    cody mullonex caught that blue in lake texoma fishing from the bank. he was using a circle hook with a pyramid sinker below the bait, and was lauching about 100 yds off shore i believe i read in the catfish insider
    How in the world did he cast out 100 yards from the bank?

Post Thanks / Like

i think they used 15ft surf rods wity 5-6 oz pyramid sinkers on 25lb test

Post Thanks / Like

If you aren't catching baby blues (dink blues) I'd say they aren't in there. The small ones will eat just about anything and can be a pest (bait stealing)!

Check your regs, and if it's legal... use a whole fresh Bluegill with it's throat slit for bait on a 3/0-5/0 circle hook, carolina rig it with a 2 oz egg sinker.

As mentioned earlier, surf casting rods are great for long casts from shore!