Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Creek fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Creek fishing

Anyone do any small creek fishing from the bank? Any tips or pointers? The creek is about 10 to 15 yds across at the most and I'm sure some of the bends have some 15' water in them. With the way the wind has been for the last week or so it is very hard to get out on Okatibbee,(3600 acres) no place to hide from the wind. The Corps had pulled the water down 4' and with Rita blowing trees down I'm sure I can't get my boat very far up the creek. I'm going nuts just waiting around the house, may even have to go up to my brother-in-laws small, small pond and catch some small bream.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    Anyone do any small creek fishing from the bank? Any tips or pointers? The creek is about 10 to 15 yds across at the most and I'm sure some of the bends have some 15' water in them. With the way the wind has been for the last week or so it is very hard to get out on Okatibbee,(3600 acres) no place to hide from the wind. The Corps had pulled the water down 4' and with Rita blowing trees down I'm sure I can't get my boat very far up the creek. I'm going nuts just waiting around the house, may even have to go up to my brother-in-laws small, small pond and catch some small bream.

After Isabel came thru our area, we had several creeks I like to fish like that. So I started carrying a chain saw with me. But by that time some one else had the same idea and had already cleared them enough to get by.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If the water in those creeks rise and fall, I would try wading when water dropped enough. Also, if in the bends of the river there might be brush and limbs washed on the banks there, that might produce some fish.
    Most people are afraid to wade to crappie fish, I guess the snakes scare them or afraid they might fall in a drop off. Water snakes won't bother you, however, I have run upon a few cottonmouths in the water, I get real still then, hehehe Steve I noticed that you are from MS, I waded alot at Arkabuttla Lake in those creeks and ditchs.
    Last edited by fishingpox; 11-25-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ, that is where I began my fishing when I was a youngun. We had a small creek that ran out of the head of the mountain out in the country where we lived. We waded it in the summer and bank fished it in the winter. I have noticed that some creeks have little ditches under the water along the edges of the banks that run a little deeper than the rest of the creek itself. They even have some deep spots, that we called swimming holes, about the size of a small above ground pool. Usually that is where we caught our fish, in the swimming holes and ditches. I caught my first crappie out of that creek and I've been hooked ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish alot of small stream around here when they pull the water down. You can see the stumps alot better. Usually they will bite like out on the lake. I use alot of tube jigs and very little jigs. A long pole that collapses can be usefull.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!