PDA

View Full Version : Thomasville Latest Contribution to High Rock

poppop
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Yep, they done it again, less than three weeks after the last one. How can it continue without the state and Feds becoming involved?

29,000 gallons of wastewater spill in Thomasville | The Dispatch | Davidson County's News Source | Lexington, NC (http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/20100119/ARTICLES/100119897/1005?Title=29-000-gallons-of-wastewater-spill-in-Thomasville)

sundance
01-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Looks like they need to change that name of Abbotts Creek. Kelly Craver ain't never been hitting on much. There is no telling what come out of Stroupe Mirror under his watch.

poppop
01-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Looks like they need to change that name of Abbotts Creek. Kelly Craver ain't never been hitting on much. There is no telling what come out of Stroupe Mirror under his watch.

Yep...I know Kelly....or Kellie:) whichever way you want to spell it.

Rapala#1
01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
They just wont quit will they.

Kellog
01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
PopPop, you beat me to it. I just came in from school and read the article about the spill. As I was preparing to post it I noticed you have already done so. When is enough enough? If Thomasville is going to keep dumping raw sewage into Abbots Creek the name should be to Abbotts Cess Pool. Apparently the city of Thomasville has very deep pockets and the previous fines didn't phase them a bit. I usually learn from my mistakes, but I guess Thomasville has learned that they can keep getting away with these unacceptable actions.

Kellog

gilby1955
01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Guys, think we might outa put our soon to sunk condos on the other side of Smelly Creek, uh I mean Abbotts Creek.:D

poppop
01-19-2010, 05:06 PM
I think we should be mounting some type of massive email campaign, and send everyone of them to the City Manager, Mayor and all the City Council members, the Governor, our Senators, our Representives, the EPA, and anyone else that will listen. I am wondering why Aloca is not turning flips. When is enough, enough?

gilby1955
01-19-2010, 05:13 PM
like the fishermen and property owners on Abbotts creek are the only ones who give a flying flip. But they sure do that our tax dollars.:mad:

704gary
01-19-2010, 07:38 PM
I think we need to call the news, grab our lawn chairs, coffee and signs.
Spend a day sitting on the courthouse lawn.

poppop
01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I am not sure what can be done on the local level since the Feds regulate the lake. I am personal friends with Hugh Holliman and its about time for a luncheon with him. I just want to see if there is anything a grassroot effort will help on the state level.

painterfish
01-20-2010, 06:04 AM
If nothing else pop it will let whoever know somebody that cares is watching them like you said it just cant go on

Kellog
01-20-2010, 07:46 AM
PopPop, when I read your post about a grass roots effort a thought came to mind. It seems that Thomasville's sewage (fertilizer) could literally make grass roots active. LOL!
On a more serious note, something has to be done to curtail this situation. A meeting with our representatives on the state level may create some attention on the fedaral level if the proper media coverage is informed of said meeting.
Just thinking out loud.

Kellog

polarcrafter
01-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Wonder if any of the officials (state or federal) that have control or can put pressure on the city of Thomasville would be brave enough to meet with us (maybe have a bowl of stew) at our next condo drop gathering and see what we are doing to improve habitat in the lake and listen to complaints about the sewage dumping.....

704gary
01-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Every elective representive at the state level should know there are some men and women concerned about the future of High Rock Lake.
The state wants to take it away Alcoa (thats another fight) but, Let them know we want to protect the resource that we enjoy and want our children
and grandchildren to enjoy what we had.

Big Crappie 2
01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Someone Needs To Get A Letter Together For All Of Us To Send To The Elected Officials To Get Something Done.sure They Would Take Notice!

poppop
01-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Here is a summary of the City of Thomasville’s contribution to the fishermen of High Rock Lake in the PAST 6 MONTHS. All of these spills empty into Abbotts Creek.

This is a total of 16,557,305 gallons of raw sewage pouring into High Rock in the past 6 months.

Here is a perspective easier to understand. If each of us had an acre of land, it would take 27,154 gallons of raw sewage to be one inch deep on the entire acre. Adding all the sewage spills up Thomasville has reported in the past six months the raw sewage on our acre of land would be almost 610 feet deep.

January 17, 2010
The City of Thomasville reported a 29,000 gallon untreated wastewater spill on Sunday.
The spill occurred at the East Davidson Pump Station on Old Emmanuel Church Road. The untreated sewage entered South Hamby Creek, part of the Yadkin/Pee Dee River basin.

December 28, 2009
Thomasville reports 40,000 gallon sewer spill

The City of Thomasville reported a 40,000 gallon untreated wastewater spill on Friday, in part due to heavy rains. A notification reported the spill occurred at the East Davidson Pump Station on Old Emmanuel Church Road.

December 17, 2009
Thomasville reports wastewater spill of 96,000 gallons

The City of Thomasville had a wastewater spill of an estimated 96,000 gallons Tuesday and Wednesday from a sewer line. The wastewater came from a line near 1015 Trinity St. and spilled into North Hamby Creek in the Yadkin/Pee Dee River Basin

November 16, 2009
Thomasville reports wastewater spill

The City of Thomasville had four untreated wastewater spills of an estimated total of 65,000 gallons during the heavy rains Wednesday and Thursday. The first three spills were from man holes and the fourth from a sewage pumping station.

September 14, 2009
The City of Thomasville had a wastewater spill of an estimated 11,500 gallons Friday after a manhole was vandalized. The spill occurred after vandals blocked a manhole.

September 09, 2009
Thomasville reports untreated wastewater spill

Hydraulic overload of an aging sewer system is likely the cause of a 15.93 million gallon wastewater spill over 20 days reported by the City of Thomasville to the N.C. Division of Water Quality.

August 05, 2009 Thomasville reports untreated wastewater spill

The City of Thomasville had a wastewater spill of an estimated 385,805 gallons Monday and Tuesday. The spill of untreated wastewater came from the North Hamby Creek Outfall Line near Baptist Children’s Home Road and spilled into North Hamby...

July 16, 2009 Thomasville reports wastewater spill
The City of Thomasville had a wastewater spill of an estimated 193,700 gallons Monday from two pump stations. A spill of 186,000 gallons occurred at the East Davidson Pump Station on Old Emmanuel Church Road and spilled into South Hamby Creek.

ncnat
01-21-2010, 08:54 AM
That's the reported amount. I wonder what the actual amount is?

Feel-N-Crappie
01-21-2010, 11:07 AM
The same thing happened when I lived near Atlanta. The city was dumping huge amounts of sewage into the Chattahoochie River. The fines were so low they had no problem paying them. They finally made the fines so large they had to fix the problem. I wish I knew who to contact, there is no doubt unless we make a fight of it nothing will change.