Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Few Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Few Questions

When we lived in Florida & fished for Crappy, we would use a gold colored hook, with a split shot above it.
    About 1 to 2 foot less than the waters depth we'd put a float. Just to keep it off the bottom.
    And we'd put a minnow on the hook.
    I don't know how well that works out here in Missouri.
    I don't know if beetle spins, tipped with minnows work, or using little jigs or such, tipped with minnows work either.

I have 3 shimano spinning reels that I put 10 lb trilene XL low vis on, and the rods are 6ft, medium action.

Will this work for starters?

And are there any tackle shops in the Joplin, or Neosho area? There sure aren't any in or around Seneca, but that's ok.

Thanks for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the MO board namgrunt!

minnows on a hook will catch a lot of crappie. the fish catching depth can change a lot, and how deep of water they are in as well.

basic tubes on a jig head will often times work as well if not better, with or without a minnow. i like to add a crappie nibble.
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by namgrunt View Post
    When we lived in Florida & fished for Crappy, we would use a gold colored hook, with a split shot above it.
    About 1 to 2 foot less than the waters depth we'd put a float. Just to keep it off the bottom.
    And we'd put a minnow on the hook.
    I don't know how well that works out here in Missouri.
    I don't know if beetle spins, tipped with minnows work, or using little jigs or such, tipped with minnows work either.

I have 3 shimano spinning reels that I put 10 lb trilene XL low vis on, and the rods are 6ft, medium action.

Will this work for starters?

And are there any tackle shops in the Joplin, or Neosho area? There sure aren't any in or around Seneca, but that's ok.

Thanks for your time.
    Yep. That will work, especially when the fish are close to the bottom. There's lots of techniques for different situations, and to fish different portions of the water column, and this site is really good for learning more about those techniques. Everybody has favorite techniqes, line sizes, and baits. I fish Truman and will frequently dip trees with a minnow on a 1/0 gold hook below a #3 split shot. I don't use a bobber, but will work the minnow up and down around and through trees. The big split shot can be jiggled to know the hook of a branch if you hang up. I'll use a bobber in the spring, but I will use a slip bobber with a jig below it. There's nothing like watching that bobber disappear. Good fishing.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all welcome to CDC!

Yes many times a gold hook, sinker, and float will work great. Small jigs work well also and can be used to cast and retrieve or verticle fish. You can tip your jigs with minnows if you like and sometimes that works very well or you can tip your jigs with crappie nibbles. Since you live in Seneca you may want to come to Joplin and go to Southtown Sporting Goods on the corner of Main Street and 32nd or to Academy on Rangeline. You could buy some slab buster jigs at Southtown and they are a great jig. I would use 6lb line and I like Hi-Vis line because in crappie fishing sometimes all you will see is a change in the line and need to set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome.
    minner and a hook works great. I think 10# test is to heavy. I use 4# and alot around hear use 6# or 10# braid.
    Outlaw Walleye and Crappie Poles (anglersmidwest.com guides and gear)
    MossBackRack.com
    Jenkins Nissan(813-420-0983)

Post Thanks / Like

do not use minnows much anymore,but when I did, 6#test line gold hook small split shot. worked great, I eaven fish a jig below a bobber sometimes in the spring, there is a good, I hear fishing store in joplin. but for the life of me cant remember the name, buzzy or bender help the man out he need help. oh and welcome

Post Thanks / Like

The best fishing supply store I know down that way is Buds Bait, 425 East 96 Hwy, Carthage, MO 64836. The phone number is (417) 358-6119. I don't think that they are open right now normally they take a month or two off in the winter months. They handle Southern Pro Crappie jigs skirts which is the same thing that Everharts in Clinton, MO handle. David down there is really great to work with. I have done business with David before and every order has been correct. I think PW58 and I have purchased close to 10,000 jig skirts from him. I have only been to the store once and it was closed. I orginally found David on ebay and then placed my orders from him off his website and on the phone with him. www.budsbait.com

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to CDC from Nixa Mo. we use the hook & minnow a lot in the summer time. 32 gold hook 1/8 split shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome To C.com,,
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I just 1.5" tube jigs all year long with varied colors.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast