Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boater Safety

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boater Safety

A duck Hunter was killed in a boating accident in Arkansas this week. They launched the boat and had failed to put the plug in, when they turned the boat around to go back to the launch the boat capsized and he drowned. I had another issue this week with my boat where the rope on the front was dragging in the water and wrapped around my prop and caused my boat to stop suddenly. Fortunately for me we were going slow coming up to where we stopping anyway. But we did not see it as it was before daylight.

Folks remember to check the little things and if ya'll have any other tips I would love to hear em. Never know when a tidbit will save an un-needed expense or a life.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

AND WEAR A PFD!!!! It's just to easy to save your life!!! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, what Chatt says. I just ordered two new vests as the ones that I have are NOT comfortable to wear when fishing. It's a poor excuse so I decided to get smart and buy some that can be worn whenever in the boat...period.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankee doodler View Post
    Yeah, what Chatt says. I just ordered two new vests as the ones that I have are NOT comfortable to wear when fishing. It's a poor excuse so I decided to get smart and buy some that can be worn whenever in the boat...period.
    Which ones you get? Brenda and I "tried on" several models before getting the less expensive Sospenders auto/manual model. Can't stand anything rubbing my neck.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chatt View Post
    AND WEAR A PFD!!!! It's just to easy to save your life!!! <*)}}}><
    The nail on the head!

... also, always make sure your bow rope isn't long enough to get tangled in your motor... or remove it after launching and before getting underway.

Never be in too big of a hurry to launch!!! make everything ready in the prelaunch area before you back down the ramp!

Tie downs off... check!

Motor toter off... check!

Drain plug in... check!

I've been guilty of not removing the tie downs once and the drain plug a couple of times back in my younger days... because I was in too big of a hurry!

Nowadays I check everything twice, if there are folks behind me waiting to launch I wave them ahead. I have waited to be the last one to launch, and the same with putting the boat back on the trailer, I'll wait to be the last one to do that too. You can actually see some pretty funny stuff by waiting on a busy ramp... but that's another thread.:D

Post Thanks / Like

i kinda had a similar problem. i own a 2004 ranger reatta. me and my family was doin a little crappie fishing late we where running back to the cove ( parked the boat in the lake that night) got to the no wake bouys and idled down to see i had water in the boat about ankle deep. my mind was racing what the problem could have been. But first thing i thought of, and this is my number one tip when you have forgoten the plug or in my case had a small hole in the bottom of the boat. first thing i did was looked and see how close shore was in case it was bad all i was gonna do was go baech the boat and then i could plug the boat and/or wait for help to get the boat out of the water saves lives and the boat. my hole wasnt a big deal a screw poped out that holds the auto bilde and was coming in through there. the bildge was able to keep up with the water so i just went to the boat ramp and pulled it out for the weekend.

just my little story

steve

Post Thanks / Like

I agree GCD. Slow down guys. Double check! The guy that roars up and is in the water in 2 minutes is gonna miss something befire you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah cause just when you think theres no way something like that could happen to you, then you better watch out, its probably comin!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ironbeer View Post
    i kinda had a similar problem. i own a 2004 ranger reatta. me and my family was doin a little crappie fishing late we where running back to the cove ( parked the boat in the lake that night) got to the no wake bouys and idled down to see i had water in the boat about ankle deep. my mind was racing what the problem could have been. But first thing i thought of, and this is my number one tip when you have forgoten the plug or in my case had a small hole in the bottom of the boat. first thing i did was looked and see how close shore was in case it was bad all i was gonna do was go baech the boat and then i could plug the boat and/or wait for help to get the boat out of the water saves lives and the boat. my hole wasnt a big deal a screw poped out that holds the auto bilde and was coming in through there. the bildge was able to keep up with the water so i just went to the boat ramp and pulled it out for the weekend.

just my little story

steve
    I saw a guy do that on Enid last summer, dude was in one of those boats with a big block on the back with a blower and the shiny pipes. The boat did not stop when he hit the beach, it went right over the sand and tried to go up the embankment.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Been There And Done The Above At One Time Or Another

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast