Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Shavings in lower unit oil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metal Shavings in lower unit oil

I changed my lower unit oil today and i had small Metal Shavings mixed in the oil. Looked like small glitter. As long as it's small Shavings it's ok correct?

Post Thanks / Like

what make of motor, yr and horsepower?

Post Thanks / Like

98 Merc 125 HP

Post Thanks / Like

Unless this is the 1st time it's been changed,,, you got problems. Best have it checked out before it blows up and strands you somewhere out on the blue. JHO <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro in Olathe changes my Lower Unit Oil twice a year. I didn't have anything to do this weekend so i decided to change it myself. This would be a bad way to start off the year. This time last year was my problem with my bearing and hubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Save some of the metal flake oil to show to the mechanic. It might help him figure where it is coming from. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no mechanic, but that sure sounds bad. Hope you get out of this without dropping a small fortune.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

If the shavings are small and hair like you have no problems, however if they are chunks then you have issues. All motors are metal on metal, so you will not completely be void of metal shavings, even in your vehicle. The big destroyer is water in the oil. Some suggest running the motor for about five hours then check the oil again, should be relativaley free of shavings. If you don't mind spending a little money, Do an online search and you will find you can send a sample of your oil in to some companies and they will do an analyisis and can tell you if you are about to have an engine failure of some sort. It should only run you about forty bucks to get this done. I use Amsoil and have mine tested thru them. It is good piece of mind. The diesel guys have been doing this preventive measure for years. I think even some of the universities like KU can do this also, if you have a connection there. A complete tear down at the Marine shops is quite expensive and may not be needed, only you can decide if it's worth the piece of mind to you, as a new motor is way way more expensive. You may be one of us who puts more hours on your motor than you think and maybe have to change the lower unit oil twice a year. Your motor manuel should give you a good idea. I have to change impellers every other year in mine. The manual states this to, for my particular engine, as luck has it for me there were only a couple years motors that this needs done and I happened to have one. Good luck and hope its not serious.

Post Thanks / Like

Was The Filings Brass Looking Or Silver Looking,,,seems Like There Are Brass Washers That Act As Wear Plates,BRASS LOOKING ,,,(senior Moment) But I Dont Think Silver Is Good As That Is Metal On Metal,,,,again This Is Mho
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Nate, take a look at my thread on changing your lower unit oil. If your oil looked like this when you drained it, either from emulsified water or small metal particles, then you're ok. If the metal flakes are large enough to be picked out, or they are chunky in any way, then you have problems in the lower unit and a tooth or three busted in the gear case I would guess.

If not, then you're good to go. As others have said, even with oil in there, you're still going to get wear. This is normal and not a worry. Its when you get pieces that are easy to see as individual pieces rather than a discoloration that you might want to have it checked. If you're still not sure, put some of that metal and oil in a small bottle and take it to your local mechanic. Let them look at it. They can tell at a glance if you're just being careful or really have a problem.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast