Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Paint for Jig Heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paint for Jig Heads

Being an old man, but just getting into targeting crappy, I have another questions. By reading the Bulk Jig Thread, it looks like a lot of you guys must paint your own Jig Heads.

(1) Is there a paint that is better for this application ? ? ?

(2) If so where do you buy it ? ? ?

(3) Will the Stores that offer Bulk Jig Heads, also allow you to pick colors ? ? ?

keith
    Creamlevel Creek Kennels

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Pro-Tec powder paint from Bass Pro,to paint my jig heads with.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

TJ's tackle has a ton more colors of the powder paint, but BPS is OK if you have one close. If you're going to paint your own, start hunting an old toaster oven at a yard sale to cure the colors with.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Powder paint is probably the most popular method to paint jig heads followed by vinyl jig dip paint... but some folks use Testors model paint and even fingernail polish.

You can buy the powder vinyl paint at most hobby and larger tackle stores, you can get better prices if you shop online for it.

You should be able to mix and match colors on bulk jig purchases.

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Powder paint is what most use as GCD said and can be found at any large sports outfit but I recommend getting it from sponsors hear its cheaper and the guys are great. as far as bulk jig orders I know most guys here will be glad to paint them for you for a little extra.

JJ
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you what.After joining this site,with all the guys here making anything that you could possibly need for fishing,it's cheaper to get it right here.By the time you find it elsewhere,add the shipping to it,they are all right there in price,probably less,and you can see by thier post what thier stuff actually looks like.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Protech powder paint is the way to go. I got a heat gun and boy can I make some sweet colors. Did about 2 dozen today and they look great. I used to use a candle, but as usual, I read on here about the heat gun and won't look back. Make sure to make you some kind of rack to hang them after dipping or painting. You'll need it to cure them in the oven. I used some 1/4" copper to bend one.

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

toaster oven racks work great to hang jigs on and then you just slide in and bake.

JJ

Post Thanks / Like

It's fun painting the first 100 or so. I figured the cost and time, now just buy them already painted. More time to fish, clean out the eye's and go fishin!!!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

if you buy them from the right person the eyes will allready be cleaned. way to hard to clean after they been properly cured

JJ