Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Dumb Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 1st Dumb Question

When fishing tubes, I run the hook through the end of the tube, push it up on the jig head. But it tears a hole in the end of the tube, and won't stay pushed up.

How do I keep the tube pushed up on the jig ? ? ?

Post Thanks / Like

Just push the tube up to the jig head - not over it. Some use a drop of super glue to keep it there, but I don't have trouble with it staying without glue. If you want the tube over the jig head - you should put the jig head inside the tube from the rear - poking the jig eye out the front of the tube - then tie on the line. The issue with this method is changing tubes - you have to cut off, insert tube, and re-tie.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

this is how they should look when you put them on properly

Post Thanks / Like

The little barb on the Jig that is suppose to hold the tube in place, seems to cut a hole bigger than the hook, and allows the tube to slip back down the hook after even the lightest jigging action.

I'm probably all thumbs. Super Glue does not leave a scent in the water ? ? ?

Post Thanks / Like

myself i insert the head inside the jig. jmo

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you'll notice, not all jig heads are created equally. Some jig heads have a very "fat" barb which may be due to too much paint, opr either the mold nis bigger in that area. I've started looking at jigs picking mine out based off of the size of the shaft and barb. (Some actually are made with 'sharper' barbs on smaller diameter shafts that the barb is on.) Hope this makes a little sense.:o

BTW, solid body tubes seems to work better staying on the barb vrs. the hollow tubes.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had that problem with some jig heads. The barb is too big and wants to tear the tubes. What I do is cut part of the barb off making it shorter. Still holds the tube but does not put a big hole in it.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thoughts ...

Now that I have been looking at some of the sponsers on the site, and some of the jig makers, I have notice that guys make the solid bodies with all the different tails on them just like with the hollow tubes.

I think I will try some of those, and use Super Glue to finish out the hollow tubes. Providing I get as good a result with the solid tubes, as I do with the hollow tubes (which doesn't haft to be very good. Tough starting a new sport in the winter) I will try the solid bodies.

Thanks for the help. Keep the opinion or advice coming. I need to learn all I can, by the time the fishing turns on. Thanks ! ! ! keith

Post Thanks / Like

another option is to go with the type of jigs that have the chenille(sp?) or molded jig body already on the jig head. They will have a marabou(sp again??) tail or what looks like some type of fuzzy tail on them. I have never had any trouble with these sliding down on the hook. My biggest problem is leaving them under everybodys dock or in a stump:D I use a lot of the Hal-Fly brand mainly because I can go by where they make them here in Ga and pick them up fresh!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink The others are correct ....

Quote Originally Posted by Creamlevel Kennels View Post
    When fishing tubes, I run the hook through the end of the tube, push it up on the jig head. But it tears a hole in the end of the tube, and won't stay pushed up.
    How do I keep the tube pushed up on the jig ? ? ?
    If you want the jighead to not tear the hollow tube ... you've got a couple of options : buy "insert" style jigheads, or use glue.
    Original Superglue works fine ... and the fish don't seem to mind (I know). It does, however, tend to solidify if opened & not used for an extended period of time. I prefered Loctite Easy Squeeze Superglue Gel ... back when I was using hollow tubes. Seemed to work fine, and didn't solidify in a few weeks after opening (like the Original Superglue in tubes).

Solid body tubes work just as well as hollow body tubes, for catching fish, and don't come down or get pulled down as easily. That's why I've almost exclusively gone to using them.

Weedless jigheads will allow you to put your tube jig in some serious cover, and still get it back out, more often than not. And it doesn't deter the bite, or the hookup. Just set the hook like you mean it, and within the limits of the pound test of your line, stretch of your line, and the action of your rod
    If you just can't seem to train yourself to not try and yank their lips off :D ... back off the drag just a little at a time, while setting the hook on a stationary object, until the drag slips before the line breaks. Weedless jigheads are not the best thing to use, if you're trolling, though ... since you'd have to set the hook at the first sign of a hit, whereas an open hook jighead will usually stick the fish simply from the forward movement's pull. They will work well, however, for casting & vertical jigging purposes.

Try this when you get a chance : Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Vertical Casting

And read my reply in this thread, to learn how to help keep weedless jigheads from hanging up (I call it "bowing to the jig") : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...ppie-rigs.html

... luck2ya ... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast