Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bottom bumping or Kentucky rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default bottom bumping or Kentucky rig

The fish have started moving deep here and my main rig has always just been a tightline jig but I'm wanting to try the Kentucky rig and would like some input as to rod, line, weight, how to tie up, etc. I have read everything from 4 lb to 20 lb cheap line to make the jig stick out and not wrap around the main line. So all you bottom bumpers share your knowledge with one who wants to learn. Any little secrets?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Yes share your secrets with all of us, please.
    Have a blessed and safe holiday.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I second this -- Being a new crappie guy I'd love to hear the experts describe these methods.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I am not sure my answer will be what you are looking for but I do what is called in some places as "drop shotting". I tie 2 snap swivels on my 10# line, one about 3 feet up from the bottom, another about a foot and a half. I then tie on about a half oz pensil sinker on the bottom of the line (other types of sinker can be used but a pensil sinkers seems to work best). I snap on Eagle Claw pre-snelled #2 aberdeen hooks and line on to the snap swivels. I then bait with minnows hooked through the nose. I then troll this rig slowly with the sinker barely touching the bottom. You can tell this by the rod tip twitching. I adjust it to the depth of the water I am trolling. I put my rod and reel into rod holders. When a crappie (or other fish ) hits the rig, you can easily tell by the rod tip. I have caught a ton of crappie (and other fish) using this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting -- I'd love to see a pciture of that. Do you snag the sinker a lot?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

No, I can go days without snagging but I fish in deeper areas, away from the more snaggy areas near the bank. One of the keys of not snagging is the pensil sinker. Other sinkers will snag a lot more. The pensil sinkers I use have the type of tie on that automatically releases the sinker if it gets snagged. Then, all you have to do is tie on another sinker. If the hooks get snagged, I use gold aberdeen hooks that will bend before the line breaks. I sometimes use high strength , small diameter line such as spiderwire but I usually just use cheap 10 pound mono. I do go real slow using this method and back up if I see a line that got snagged. 90% of the time I can work it loose if I back up in time. I love the rig, it works. I rig it up heavier if I am going for catfish or other bigger fish. I have caught some big 14+ pound cats on the 10# line though.

Post Thanks / Like

i tie a snap swivel on the end of the line, attach a 3/4 oz bass sinker, go up about 2 ft, tie a loop knot, add a hook and use a minnow. get in the main channels, let the wind push you sideways, with a drift sock off each end and start drifting. put the lead to the bottom, throw the bail and the weight will ride just off the bottom with the wind pushing you. #4 gold eagle claw, 6 lb line, 9 ft. ugly stick crappie rods.its a killer when the water gets into the lower forties and upper thirties. the fish hug the bottom in the deepest spots they can find. most times they wont even show up on the depth finder. i seldom hang and if the hook dont straighten, then i break off and retie to keep from messin my drift up by unhanging it
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Here's an article that you might find interesting -

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...objectID=28370

I've always thought of the "KY Lake Rig" as a pre-made setup that consists of a 1oz sinker on the bottom of a 3ft long piece of heavy mono, with two metal "outriggers" jutting out from the main line, about 12-18" apart, and a swivel on the top end of the line. The "outriggers" have a snelled hook setup tied to the ends of them. This setup is used to slowly/lightly lift and set down along the bottom, as you slowly ease around a stump flat or brush pile ... using the sinker to "find" the wood, then hold the rig close to the cover. I think it was originally intended for pre-spawn fish, that generally hang out in the deeper, wooded flats .... but, has been modified in use and make-up. It's used thru out the year, in some places ... and the "outriggers" may or may not be part of the rig ... jigs may replace the hooks ... there may be more than 2 hooks on a rig ... and so forth. .........cp

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default crappiepappy

Go To Any Bait Shop Near Ky. Lake And They Sell Just What You Described Cp....thats What I Always Thought A Ky. Lake Rig Was
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

LOL... You guys must have some engineering degrees!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast